It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Days Away [RSWC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
TV murmuring in the background. Random household noises a 9 year old makes. If you listen really closely, you can hear occasional mouse clicks, and a few keystrokes in rapid succession.

The person operating the mouse and typing has several open tabs on their browser, clicking back and forth, opening and closing, in an almost rhythmic fashion. It's obvious he's agitated, and from his search queries, you think the world was about to end. It will, in three days, according to his predictions.

He stands up, and walks to the living room where the murmuring TV is suddenly clear. To him, a meaningless sitcom or something is playing. It switches to a commercial, and he speaks.

Husband: “It's bugout time in three days.”

Wife: (Annoyed at the interruption) “Why?”

Husband: “It's time.”

Wife: “Why now?”

Husband: “The collapse. 3 days away. I've calculated it.”

Wife: “Our bugout bags aren't ready.”

Husband: “We need to re-fill with fresh water, and a few extra jugs.”

Wife: “Ok. Are you sure?”

There's no panic in his voice, just calm resolve, like a patient fisherman on an isolated pond.

Husband: “Absolutely. All the threads on ATS are pointing that way, and the program ChaoticOrder and I have been working on points to a 99% probability. The algorithm is set up to weight the doom threads against the regular threads, and the threshold just went over our limit. A lot could happen in three days. Let's finish the prep. I have to send a bunch of u2us to all my ATS friends.”

Voice Over: “It turns out this particular ATS member was correct. The defunct orbital satellite Kim-Jong Un had in orbit wasn't really defunct. It was put into sleep mode, and made to appear it was nonfunctional. The wake commands were sent, and the satellite slowly maneuvered into position above the continental US while we all watched in horror. There was nothing anyone could do. Mainstream media covered the event, up until the EMP wiped out communications. Horror ensued thereafter. The US retaliated with an automated full nuclear strike, warheads hardened against EMPs, and no way to communicate with them. Within three days the population of the world went from 6.7 billion to a few million isolated people.”

In the background are the sounds of dogs barking, people talking, and the general noise of a busy marketplace.

Markus: “It's three days out now. Think it's safe?”
Annie: “I don't know. The scouting team was trying to raid the science lab at Fuller High, to see if they could get a Geiger counter. We really need one of those.”

Markus: “I don't think any nukes got on US soil. I think we're clean.”

Annie: “No way to tell. You willing to risk hair loss?”

Stranger: “Excuse me. May I interrupt?”

Markus and Annie together: “Who are you?”

Stranger: “Druid42 from ATS.”

Brief silence.

Annie: “Really?

Markus: “Prove it.”

Stranger: “Easy. Phage is the most talkative member on ATS. True or false?”

Laughter ensues. You can hear an exchange of hugs and sighs of relief.

Annie: “How did you make it here?”

Druid42: “I predicted the collapse 3 days prior, with the help of another member. We bugged out early.”

Markus: “Do you have supplies?”

Druid42: “To share?”

Annie: “Of course.”

Markus: “You're like the fifth ATS member to find our compound. Glad you made it.”

Druid42: “I knew which direction to head. I read the secret ATS thread about the many bugout locations ATS members have set up, and your's was the closest. We are camped a few miles out. Are we good to roll in?”

Markus and Annie together: “Yes!”

Markus: “We'll tell the council. How many do you have?”

Druid42: “Five total. All functional and trained. We'll set right away to work assignments.”

Markus hurries away.

Annie: “That's awesome.”

Druid42: “I'm curious, who else made it here? Any other communication with the outside?”

Annie: “We will be convening the counsel tonight, and we'll be asking you to join. There's only 5 of us now. We have too many stragglers, even here, and we don't really turn anyone away. We need the help. Your's would be VERY much appreciated.”

Annie sighs.

Annie: “You'll meet the other ATS members during the council meeting tonight. No contact outside. Everything is fried. It's all been patrols and localized perimeter control. We find more people in need than we do buggers. You're rare, showing up like this.”

Druid42: “At least there's no drones.”

Annie: “True. Thank God.”

Druid42: “Agreed.”

The smiles fade as the gazes lock together. The small talk has vanished.

There's several moments of uncomfortable silence as both people realize the attraction. Reality pours back as a child runs up breathlessly.

Child: “We found them.”

Heavy breathing.

Child: “We found THREE of them!”

Annie kneels down, and hugs the child.

Annie: “Ohhh. I just knew you could find them! I told you right where they should be. Any trouble?”

Child: “None at all mom. We were in and out. Nobody saw us, nobody was there.”

Annie: “Good. I love you Tricia, always know that.”

Tricia: “Love you too mom.”

Tricia looks at her mom, and notices her tears running down her face.

Tricia: “Aww, mom. Why the tears? I'm fine.”

Annie: “Because you're safe. Mostly because you found us 3 Geiger counters. If you only knew how much we needed those.”

Tricia: “Why did you need them anyway? What do they do?”

Annie: “Hunny, you don't really need to know how horrible humans have been.”

Annie chokes on a sob, and regains a bit of composure in front of her ten year old daughter.

Annie: “Bombs, bad bombs that make you very sick were set off. Here is safe. We need those counters to see where is safe from here. So we can explore. To see what is safe. The bombs made radiation, and we need those counters to see where the radiation is at. Do you understand?”

Tricia nods solemnly.

Tricia: “So when the counters go off, we go back to the underground bunkers?”

Annie: “Just like the first time, remember?”

Tricia: “Yeah, mom, never forget that.”

Annie smiles, then frowns, as a lock of hair falls away from Tricia's head, and floats to the ground. Tricia doesn't notice.

Annie (bravely): “So now go play with your friends.”

Tricia runs away to play, and Annie sits on the ground, her head in her hands, and begins to sob.

Druid42 sits on the ground beside her, and puts his arm around her shoulder.

Druid42: "Does Markus know?"

Annie (crying): "I didn't know."

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Nice Read, thanks for that ..........
S&F for you

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Great read, thanks for the imagery and the snip it. Maybe we could create an ATS story.

S and F

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I didn't know whether to
or
Supremely executed!

“Easy. Phage is the most talkative member on ATS. True or false?” true

edit on 11-4-2013 by Weremom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Awful subject, well executed and written. I could 'see' it. I did derive comfort from the ATSers finding each other.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the flags, and the comments. They are much appreciated, more than you know.

Feedback is important to a writer, especially when tackling a new style.

My first two attempts were a bit of an orientation to this month's theme, and I think I may have all the bugs worked out for a third entry.

Alas, the recent storm fried my satellite modem. The nearest tech is Saturday. I am on mobile till then, and will be scarce on posting. That's the price you pay for living in the middle of nowhere.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story, and attempt number three will be compiled offline, but with all the elements of a really good story, to be posted late Saturday evening once my Sat is upgraded to Echostar7, and I'm on Gen4 speeds.

Stay tuned.

edit on 4/11/13 by Druid42 because: grammar

new topics

top topics

join