It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah's Bacon Cheeseburger soup!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Mom my makes a cheeseburger soup and the first time I heard of it I was skeptical. I thought cheeseburger soup? Well when I had it I realized it was pretty darn good! I love any soup that has cheese in it of course. So I had to make my version of cheeseburger soup only I added bacon and different ingredients. I didn't have any idea how it would come out but it came out so good!! I also got to use my soup tureen that I never get to use so that was a plus!

Mblah's Bacon Cheeseburger Soup

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Evoo)
3/4 lb of bacon cooked and cut into pieces
1 small onion chopped
2 tbs butter
1 3/4 cups fresh chopped mushrooms
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
6 small red potatoes, diced
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup of flour
1 1/4 cup sour cream
1 can plain diced tomatoes, drained
16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese ( I used one 16 ounce brick and cut it into small cubes)
***most people use Velveeta cheese for this recipe but I do not like Velveeta. (Dont shoot me!)

Directions

***I am going to give the stove top directions for this since it is quicker. I used the oven because I used a soup tureen and I didnt use Velveeta which melts quicker than brick cheese. I will add how i made it in the oven after this one.

Stove top
1. In a large stock pot (one that will hold at least 5 cups of liquid) brown the beef in the evoo. Drain, set aside.
2. In the same pot add the butter, onions, mushrooms, basil and parsley and cook til onions are clear, about 10mins. Make sure to stir while cooking and keep the heat at about a medium temperature.
3. In another small sauce pot while the onions and mushrooms are cooking boil some water and cook the potatoes til done.
4. Once the potato and onion mixture are done add both to the stock pot with the chicken broth, beef, bacon and milk. Cook about 10mins then add the flour (you want to whisk the flour in), tomatoes, sour cream and cheese. Cook til cheese is throughly melted then you are done!

Oven
**Preheat oven to 375F

Steps 1 and 2 are the same for the oven only you can use a regular sauce pan or satuee pan to cook the beef and onion mixture in. You don't need a huge stock pot for that.

The next few steps are different.
In a soup tureen or soup pot that can go in the oven add the cooked beef with the cooked onion mixture (mushrooms and herbs), potatoes (uncooked), chicken broth, cheese (this is the cubed cheese version) and milk. Cook 30mins. Next add the flour and again you want to whisk the flour in. After the flour add the bacon, tomatoes and sour cream. Cook another 30mins. You will want to stir it while it cooks ever so often that way the cheese gets blended in when it melts. Once the cheese is throughly melted and blended you are done. It takes about an hour in the oven total.

If you don't know what a soup tureen is the pot on the far right is a soup tureen. This particular one I was super happy to get! It is really hard to find a complete soup tureen in this pattern since it is a discontinued pattern from the 70s. Yes I like my vintage!!

I will be eating this for days! I might have to make some bread to go with it this week as well!
edit on 4/10/2013 by mblahnikluver because: color codes

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Looks Great, thank you for sharing, S & F.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I am going to give this a go one day
Not normal english food, but DAMN THAT LOOKS GOOOOOOOOD

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

That looks mighty tempting mblah!

Heart attack in a tureen!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

That looks so unhealthy!

No disrespect- but a dish like this is the reason that America is an obese nation. No nutrition in that what so ever! I never even would have considered creating a soup that tastes like a cheesburger (Let alone buy a real cheeseburger! YUK!!)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by samuel1990

That looks so unhealthy!

No disrespect- but a dish like this is the reason that America is an obese nation. No nutrition in that what so ever! I never even would have considered creating a soup that tastes like a cheesburger (Let alone buy a real cheeseburger! YUK!!)

No disrespect? Yes it is dis respect.

Excuse me? How about you go elsewhere and complain. I don't see YOU posting any healthy recipes or recipes period for that matter. Can you even cook and microwave doesnt' cut it. Do people ask you for a cookbook? Do people ask you for recipe ideas? You obvious don't know that I COOK A LOT and make VARIOUS kinds of foods.

Where the hell did I ever say it was healthy? Also I don't use processed ingredients so technically it is healthier than the crap you'd get in a store in a can! You make is sound like I'm going to eat the whole damn tureen worth.

I could give a rats rear why American is fat. I'm not! I eat pretty damn well and if i choose to make something that one deems unhealthy that is MY CHOICE! This whole obsession people have with OMG it's not healthy is pathetic. How about people learn to eat in moderation and not over do the "unhealthy" stuff?! I have never worried about my weight because I eat right and take care of myself so don't group all Americans into your fat category.

Im so sick of posting recipes on here anymore and getting crap about them. IF you want something healthy POST IT YOUR DAMN SELF!

Well aren't you just some special person who won't eat a cheeseburger. What do you want a friggin medal?

Next time you choose to comment on a recipe you might not want ot insult the chef who is 7mths pregnant and hormonal!
edit on 4/11/2013 by mblahnikluver because: spelling

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Timely

That looks mighty tempting mblah!

Heart attack in a tureen!

If you eat the whole tureen you might have one lol

I will have to take half to my moms today because I will never eat all of that by myself. I can never just cook for one! I will freeze some for later when my fiancee comes home from overseas in May and I'll put some in the fridge for lunches this week. I will probably make bread over the weekend to go with it.

I usually make chicken noodle soup or French onion soup, this was definitely something new and it was good. I have a weakness for cheese! I have about a dozen or more types of cheeses in my fridge. I made this because I had extra ground beef and had some bricks of cheese that needed to be used up, the only thing i had to go buy was bacon lol which BTW is getting extremely high in price!!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
I am going to give this a go one day
Not normal english food, but DAMN THAT LOOKS GOOOOOOOOD

It is pretty good and fairly easy to make. The original recipe people follow uses Velveeta cheese but I dont like processed cheese spread lol it just tastes funny to me. I also didn't use celery or carrots and I added mushrooms, bacon and tomato to it. I felt those were more appropriate for a "cheeseburger" soup.

I would have liked to make it on the stove top but I need a stock pot! I like my tureen but it takes so much longer to cook in it. I think I'll have to hit the flea market this weekend and find me a stock pot!!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
My sodium restricted, hypertensive, asthmatic, overweight body says no. But my tongue and my eyes say YES PLEASE!
I'll try this for a holiday or something for sure. Sounds awesome.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
My sodium restricted, hypertensive, asthmatic, overweight body says no. But my tongue and my eyes say YES PLEASE!
I'll try this for a holiday or something for sure. Sounds awesome.

Peace.

Awe

I have a question for you since you seem to be on a restrictive diet. What can you eat and how do you shop or cook for yourself? I have never had to restrict my diet but I do stay away from processed/boxed foods or anything with HFCS in it. I make most of my meals myself from scratch including bread and pasta. I haven't been making much pasta since becoming pregnant, too much on my back but i do buy all natural pasta's from Italy. Pasta and bread are my downfall I won't lie. I love them both!!

Do you have to have a gluten free diet? I ask because I have some family and friends who have to have a gluten free diet and I was wondering what foods they eat.

Yea this isn't something i normally dont eat either. My soups are usually more along the lines of chicken noodle or veggie soup. Being pregnant though has made me want to eat anything lol and my mom made something similar at Christmas time and it was sooo good. She made mini meat balls in hers and used celery and carrots, I didnt think carrots or celery belonged in soup labeled "Cheeseburger" so I changed the ingredients to be more fitting.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Well, I can have cheese in limited quantities. And I would likely replace the bacon and other meats with chicken breast. And I can have milk, but again in limited quantities (and only with plentiful water throughout the rest of the day.) I am gluten-free except for holidays, and I have to be careful to avoid sulfates. And certain vegetables - most if I'm honest lol - don't digest properly for me, which my doctor attributes to an enzymatic issue. And you think kids you know are picky eaters.

But it keeps me healthier than I'd be otherwise. I still want to try this recipe for the holidays though. Maybe my birthday this winter. With some modifications. It sounds delicious.

Edit to add what I DO eat lol. Most of what I eat consists of oats, nuts, fruit, fish, and the occasional chicken breast. And lots of water. And peanut butter is included in nuts, if I'm careful of the ingredients.
edit on 4/15/2013 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

substitute ground pork for the beef,hard cheese for the velveeta,cream cheese or plain yogurt for the sour cream.I think I skip the taters myself

new topics

top topics

join