It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hermit Lives in Maine for 27 years and allegedly commits 1,000 + burglaries!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Thank you!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seek_Truth
This is My first thread. This guys is my effing hero. I want to know how he accomplished being undetected for 27 years in a relatively populated area, (Rome, Maine).

I lived in Waterville, ME for over a year which is very close to Rome. There is some odd stuff out there, cold war radar stations and stuff. But this is blowing my mind.

Here are some links.

WCSH6 Maine

Bangor, ME daily news

BBC

USA Today

Mind you... These links are essentially the same story because the details are emerging.

He lived off "stealing" survival necessities from people and businesses on North Lake.

The guy seems to be harmless, basically taking what he needs for survival with no intent to profit from the stolen goods. Those two cops, on the other had, are scary looking characters. Check the look in their eyes and their apparent obsession with this guy. I think they have the potential to be far more dangerous to the welfare of the general public than that small time pilferer.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
How is he your hero by breaking the law and stealing?

People like that piss me off and I don't mind helping.
Have a lot of issues, do you?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Then you wonder why products that you pay for every day keep raising to an amount that pisses you off by the penny that I have to hear about. He's not helping you, he's hurting you. If he wants something, then buy him a meal. That's what I do. I don't give out money.
This guy didn't steal from stores or businesses. That might effect the cost of goods. Exercise might help your anger issues.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

As far as we know now, he did steal from one summer camp (Pine Tree Camp i think it is).

$238 worth of goods.

That is the only theft charge he is sitting on right now. The only reason he got caught was the ME Wardens put a motion detecting camera in the building. How they found a guy nobody knew about or where he was living is beyond me.

Furthermore, did he have any identification on him? I have yet to read anything that says he had an ID from 27 years ago that confirmed his identity. If he didn't have ID then they are just believing that he is who he says he is.

That's another debacle.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I just found this link which has some more info on the story.

Apparently it was a summer camp for the disabled.

He was caught because the owner or operator of the camp put in his own alarm system and got him in the act.

CNN Story

Also there was a story published about this guy in a local newspaper back in 2005.

Kennebec Journal

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Seek_Truth

"To live alone one must be a beast or a god, says Aristotle. Leaving out the third case: one must be both — a philosopher."

— Friedrich Nietzsche - Twilight of the Idols

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

How is it possible to wear the same eyeglasses for
27 years and not have them scratched to hell?

I'd be lucky to have mine last for two years
that's if
I didn't lose them.
Something tells me that this might be an set-up for
an upcoming book deal.

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
this guy would have been better off flipping burgers
patrt-time at McDs than living like a scared, lonely animal

I'd take the open skies over McDs any day.
In my book mental instability is someone who would
rather flip burgers than be under the stars and free.

edit on 11/4/13 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
People who think being alone you have to be miserable/sad/antisocial... it's not like that. You may not be able to cope without company, but many people can and enjoy it. Me, I grew up an only child, parents always away at work.. I could go for years without contact with anyone and be perfectly happy.

As for the guy, I dont particularly look up to him. Mind you alot of the 'common folk' are not as deserving as you think... Anyone who is wasteful or lives a life of excess can do without a few basics.. I would mainly target large corporations/executives/etc, but honestly if someone who works at walmart is throwing half their food in the bin, or wasting all their money on fast food, leaving electricity/gas running all year without good reason, they are just as undeserving IMO.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Having spoke with people in this area. Alot of the people left food out for him to avoid being broke into. Surviving any maine winter does deserve some kudos. And as far as doors unlocked.. Many camps in the areas are left unlocked for the occasional lost hiker or broke down snowmobiler. If you wanna chance waking up with an armed person standing over you, you had better have a good explanation. As with where I live if a car or hiker go past one of our homes, we usually take notice! The $5000 bail is a bit extreme cause honestly where is he gonna get $5000? I think this national news is a ploy for a book deal or goverment grant for the local wardens who already do a great job covering a vast area!

And now a little off topic: can someone please inbox me how I can find threads I have commented on?? Thank you!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
the guy lived off stolen goods - I have no more compassion for him than the low income community next door filled with 70K BMW's and Mercedes bought with welfare checks

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

And he's been charged with 1 burglary totally the huge sum of $238 worth of goods. He'll be back in the wild within a week unless they have more on him. And $5k bail is nothin.

If he only stole $238 worth of stuff in 27 years, how is he going to make $5,000 bail? Numbers don't add up somewhere....

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
he's been implicated in over 1000 thefts - this is just the one he was caught doing

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

The $238 is just for the one time caught, not cumulative. He's only suspected in others...they won't have any evidence to prosecute him for more...

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Okay...my first impression is that this smacks of someone with a serious mental illness, who has probably committed greater crimes that have not been discovered yet.

Disappeared into the woods at 19 yrs old and the authorities wonder why family and friends never looked for him? I am guessing he fled to escape something. Either something at home that was happening to him, or something that he DID, and his family/friends knew enough about it to not WANT to find him.

Living in the woods alone and living off the land, I really don't think is that amazing. People did that for thousands of years up until the past 100 yrs (or less). What is disturbing, is his choice to isolate, the sneak around in the night, breaking into peoples homes and going through and taking personal belongings.

This seems more like the behavior of a deviant person...i would imagine they may find other 'personal' items amongst his stuff...and I would think that the local authorities might look closely into any possible connection between him and unsolved crimes. Especially abductions, or missing persons.

I have a VERY strong feeling that this guy is going to be tied to some very serious, deviant crimes.

OH....and the whole hero thing. I understand it was a quick statement based on the guy surviving in the woods. But look more closely at him and the story. This is not the actions of anything close to a hero...but a sick individual.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Well....

Thats all speculatory. If he did commit greater crimes, we will know. Right now I'm just going by the current facts.

I was watching the local news before my OP and started laughing my ass off saying, "Dude! That guy is my effing hero!, hahahahaha"

In no way shape or form do I truly immortalize the guy. So get off the literal hero thing.

And I totally agree that the only thing that makes sense is he was running from something. We just don't know that yet.
edit on 12-4-2013 by Seek_Truth because: spelling

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Ok, somebody's gotta do it...

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Seek_Truth

that's why he's burglar,because he doesn't like people.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

This is My first thread. This guys is my effing hero. I want to know how he accomplished being undetected for 27 years in a relatively populated area, (Rome, Maine).

I lived in Waterville, ME for over a year which is very close to Rome. There is some odd stuff out there, cold war radar stations and stuff. But this is blowing my mind.

Mind you... These links are essentially the same story because the details are emerging.

He lived off "stealing" survival necessities from people and businesses on North Lake.

I say this is the 15 minutes of fame that people are supposed to get. He should:
1. Write a book.
2. Go on the talk shows to get a little money.
3. Then use that to BUY some land and build a rustic cabin.
4. Get tools and implements so he doesn't have to STEAL.
5. The truly live off the land (NO STEALING).
6. With his free time, write a sequel about his life post-fame and truly living a Waldenesque existence.
7. Come in to town occasionally to pick up any supplies and check on his residual checks.

Now that sounds like a mighty good life. IMO.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
OP - I have no problem with your labeling this guy a "hero"...or "your hero"...
I even wonder if many of those disclaiming your choice of hero might not just be throwing out Strawmen...to direct attention away from the fact that this is precisely what they would do, given a personal crisis/scenario that put them "on the run"... This is nothing more or less than many "movie" heroes have done... Numerous "survival scenarios" would suggest the same modus operandi. Even scenarios where comic heroes mistakenly believe an "end of life as we know it" event has taken place (consider - Red Dawn).
I do not discount the concerns posted by Destiny1...but also recognize other circumstances where the "raider" was only attempting to "survive" (consider a schizophrenic who doesn't believe they can trust ANYONE...who believes EVERYONE - or Almost Everyone - is out to get them)...
Thanks for the thread...and...the contributions!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join