It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dilemma regarding helping my friend stop smoking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The will to stop smoking has to be concrete and definite. If she thinks you browbeating her will help, it won't. It will just sour your friendship.

I have a close friend who is a hypnotist. They get a lot of clients that want to quit smoking. Their success rate is phenomenally high, but I will tell you what they have told me:

The smoker has to really, really want to stop smoking. They have to be fed up or have a concrete reason why they want to quit (something emotional, like a parent that died of cancer, a health scare, etc.) they can't be there because they kinda wanta sorta wanta quit because their wife/doctor/kid/ etc said they should. They have to be able to say with 100% conviction that they want to quit and that their life would be better if they didn't smoke or the hypnotist sends them home and tells them to come back when they are serious about quitting.

Your friend isn't serious yet. She is looking to you for validation. It won't work. If she doesn't have the desire to become healthier o. So many different levels ( weight, meds, smoking, excercises, etc), then you are never going to do it for her.

Tell her to get serious and see a hypnotist. She could fix a lot of her issues working with one for a while.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
While I understand the good behind your intentions, it simply will not work unless she is fully commited whole heartedly to quitting. My friends, family, everyone around me tried there absolute hardest to get me of the needle, and it wasnt until i woke up within myself that I chose to move away from that lifestyle.

Encourage her, but dont ever make her feel guilty for what she is doing, chances are she already does, but your making her feel that way will just push her towards what you deem as the problem.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join