It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you define success?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Ever since I changed my desktop background to a quote by Neil deGrasse Tyson, I have been thinking on how people define success. Here is the quote: "The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation." This quote is an answer in response to a question by a Reddit user.

"What can you tell a young man looking for motivation in life itself?"
Here is a the full answer for anyone wanting to know.

“The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you look for things in life like love, meaning, motivation, it implies they are sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation. For me, I am driven by two main philosophies, know more today about the world than I knew yesterday. And lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.

Now, what I would like to know how will you define success. Everyone would have different ideas on success and I would like to hear what you have to say. As Bill Nye says “Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.” I'll start out by saying how I will define success is the same as Neil deGrasse Tyson has stated: "The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation." When I read the quote I see that everyone individual is different and finds success in different ways. I'm an extrovert who loves to explore the world and meet all types of people. However, I know each individual will not like and respect me. But that doesn't mean I will be successful in life. I would love to succeed in business and politics. As a rational character I would help society learns about science and technology. Each person should understand your strengths and weaknesses. So you would be careful in making mistakes and improve your chances to make great achievements. That in my opinion is how I define success. Now, I would love to see how you will define success. Share you views please.
Source

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I've always said that a lucky(success if you will) person is one that makes a living out of something they love. Whatever it is. Be it a photographer, chef, etc.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

When I look in the mirror I smile, because I like the guy I see a lot, I also love his wife, family and friends, both in real life and online.

I love my job, and colleagues are a pleasure to work with.
This was some by design and some luck (if you believe in it) as well I guess.

Personally my life is a success, for me if no one else

But surely that's the whole point of life

Cody

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Nothing more than being happy with my day to day life, which I try to live in a simple manner, no debt, no longing for things I can't afford, or being jealous of what others have, whether status or financial.

Some will not agree with me, I'm sure...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I tell people all the time much to my chagrin...

We write our own stories.

I have been writing too much drama and tragedy lately, perhaps it is time for some adventure or sci-fi!

edit on 10-4-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If my kids are well looked after, through the good times and not so good, i consider i've succeeded. If they laugh most days, i consider that a success.

If i cook a dinner without setting the smoke alarms off, i consider that a success.

CX.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Two types of success. When a....

A goal you set for yourself is reached.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

If i cook a dinner without setting the smoke alarms off, i consider that a success.

I'll pass that tip to Mrs C if you don't mind *Ducks*

Cody

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
"There is only one tragedy in the end, not to have been a saint." - Léon Bloy

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

There is only one tragedy in the end
reply to post by charles1952

You weren't true to yourself

Cody

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Lol good luck.

CX.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Whatever path one so chooses is none of my concern. As with every closed door 3 new doors propagate. And all paths finally lead to Rome.

At least that's how I feel.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

My definition of success is to be content and at peace with myself. As long as I am healthy, happy, have a roof over my head, food to eat, am loved and all those who are my family and friends have the same then I am content and at peace with myself- to me that makes me a success!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Personally, I don't believe there's such a thing as success. Those that work their butts off to make tons of money end up missing out on family and being a rewarding part of their children's upbringing. Divorce is usually the outcome. This is also the outcome for most overly ambitious people, be they sport stars, thrill seekers, doctors, lawyers...

Those that gain massive amounts of knowledge usually lose their ability to communicate with the common man, making them arrogant and lonely.

Stay at home moms may be great moms, but they tend to stagnate when it comes to learning and experiencing things that make for intelligent and interesting adult conversation.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I'm speaking in general terms.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Everyone is different and defines their version of success differently. I have to admit I do see the world through the eyes of a scientist. Individuals and families compete for success and are able to pass down whatever they could to their children and others.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Individuals and families compete for success and are able to pass down whatever they could to their children and others.
Let's go have a beer and we can talk about estate taxes.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I'll have water and we can talk about it.
Sound cool? haha.

new topics

top topics

join