It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The One Man Show [RSWC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Theme: The World After Conflict

The One Man Show

In a time not too far into the future, the world has been ravaged by wars. The few people that survive dwell in the remote forested areas of the earth in search of means to survive. Most of the inhabitants of the planet never come into contact with any other humans except for those that they live with. It's a dying, lonely world, where death could always be just moments away.

There is a dirty, middle-aged man slowly stumbling his way along a dark forest trail, his hair and beard blowing in the strong breeze. Beside him, a stream even dirtier than the man, flows briskly to places unknown. A fork in the trail is presented to the man. The sound of two voices, eerily similar, compete with the sound of the wind.

Dave: Which way do I go now? Do I follow the trail up the mountain, or follow the trail by the stream?

Dave2: Does it matter? You're going to die in either direction. Do you want to die next to the stream or high in the mountains?

Dave: Can't you be a little more optimistic? You're so depressing.

Dave2: Don't blame me. I'm just your subconscious being spoken aloud.

Dave: Whatever. I'm following the stream. At least there's a better chance of finding food close to it.

Dave2: I'm not eating anything that drinks out of that nasty water. You haven't eaten hardly anything in days. When are you going to give up?

Dave: When I'm dead.

Dave2: It's getting closer all the time.

(The sound of rushing water fills the air. The breeze begins to subside, leaving only the sound of the water and the man's labored breathing.)

Dave2: Why don't you go sit down and rest on that cliff over there? That would be a good place to die.

Dave: Shut up!

(Laughter reverberates of the nearby cliff)

Dave2: I hear the best way to die is to drown. There's just a moment of panic, and then it's over. I think the water is deep enough. Want to go for a swim?

Dave: Don't you ever stop talking?

Dave2: Do you?

(Hours pass by slowly. The man stops to search for food in the water. The sound of rocks splashing in the stream is heard.)

Dave2: I told you I'm not eating anything from that damn stream!

Dave: You don't get a choice. Maybe there's some crayfish in here.

Dave2: Yeah, they're probably the size of an alligator due to all the radiation. You can't even see what your doing in that nasty water. They'll bite your arm off, and you won't even see them coming.

Dave: Where do you get your nonsense from? It's not like you've been watching too much TV.

Dave2: From you fool!

Dave: There's nothing here. It's starting to get dark. I better find a place to shelter for the night.

Dave2: You mean a place to die?

Dave: Give it a rest. I'm not dead yet, and don't plan on being dead tomorrow. I'll find something to eat, and live another day. Just you watch!

(As darkness begins to envelop the land, the man lies on the ground beside a small fire. The smoke from the fire changes direction with the wind and blows toward the man's face.)

Dave: That was the best pine needle tea I've made this week.

Dave2: Not as good as the rat soup though was it?

(Laughter and the sound of the man vomiting break the evening's silence)

Dave: You had to bring that up again didn't you? That tea was all I had for food. Thanks.

Dave2: No problem! Glad I could help!

Dave: Just go to sleep.

Dave2: You first.

(As the morning arises, dew dampens the man's grimy clothing. The morning is still and quiet. Even the sound of the stream is barely audible.)

Dave: I guess all there is for breakfast is more tea.

Dave2: Unless you can catch another rat.

Dave: You aren't going to get under my skin today. The day is going to bring good things.

Dave2: That's what you said yesterday morning.

Dave: I'm still alive aren't I? That's about as good as it gets anymore.

Dave2: Being dead sounds good to me.

Dave: It's not my time today.

Dave2: That not what I heard.

Dave: I'm not listening to you. It's time to get moving.

(Grabbing what little belongings he has, the man once again begins walking along the trail beside the stream. As the sun creeps up into the sky, the man spots a small animal beside the water not too far ahead of him.)

Dave: I'll be damned. It's a squirrel. I haven't seen on of those in years. I thought they were all dead like everything else in this world.

Dave2: Dead like you're going to be?

Dave: Not if I can catch that squirrel! Now shut up, or you'll scare him off.

Dave2: Boo!

Dave: You're an idiot.

Dave2: Yes you are.

(After a brief chase, the squirrel disappears into the nearby forest. The man collapses beside the stream.)

Dave2: You ready now?

Dave: Fine. You win. I'm tired of listening to you anyway.

Dave2: Yeah, we'll I'm tired of talking to you.

Dave: I can't complain. I never thought I'd live this long.

Dave2: You call what you've been doing all these years living?

Dave: Just let me die in peace will you?

Dave2: You're the one still talking.

Dave: I sure hope they don't let you into the afterlife. Forever is too long to have to listen to you.

Dave2: At least I'm not the one talking to himself.

(The man closes his eyes one last time, thinking about what might have happened if he could have only caught that squirrel.)

(Just a little further up the stream, a small gathering of people sit around a fire pit, roasting a large boar that had been caught earlier that morning. The sounds of cheers and laughter surround them, and the smell of cooking meat permeates the air.)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Very nice!

SnF and thanks for sharing that!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

How many of us would find ourselves in this same situation? Job well done, best of luck in the contest.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I was waiting for that squirrel to pop back out and eat him !

S&F.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Very nice. SnF.

I'd almost think we'd all be like that, in a way. Thought provoking.

(However, kinda short. Mine was too.)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Wow I really thought Dave was going to live a long life. Interesting twist..a man talking to himself! Now that's a radio show I'd listen to every week!

Nice work.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Nicely done! It certainly questions the idea of when do you surrender? When will we miss salvation by only minutes or by one bad decision? Good job!

join