It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Diego Police Attack and Arrest Man Video Recording Them, Claiming Phone Could be a Weapon (Updat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
So these guys are getting tickets for smoking on the boardwalk in San Diego and one decides to use his cell phone to record the encounter. The police officer asks to see the cell phone but the guy refuses and gets taken down. in the second video the cop tells the arrested guys friend that their department is trained that a cell phone could be converted into a .22 or taser. He also says that officer safety trumps the 4th amendment. My question is, does the San Diego police department actually tell officers they can confiscate a cell phone to inspect? The article also links to a separate incident in Florida where a police officer used the same rationale.
Sa n Diego Cell Phone Arrest

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
You need probable cause to confiscate and inspect something.

Being a jerk isn't probable cause.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

He had every right to film the police officer, clearly the officer was trying to assert authority in public to send a message... But, the guy filming started acting super defensive and was allowing the situation to escalate.. ultimately I think he was his own worst enemy at that point.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

There were probably many better ways to handle the situation.

Having good communication is very important when someone has a gun and is willing to use it on you if you upset them enough.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by eXia7

There were probably many better ways to handle the situation.

Having good communication is very important when someone has a gun and is willing to use it on you if you upset them enough.

Yeah, I can't really fault the guy, because everybody acts differently when under pressure.. Adrenaline gets to flowing, and sometimes you let your mouth override your a**

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I actually saw footage of a guy being chased by a cop getting shot and killed for pulling out his cell phone after putting his arm out behind him holding the phone (as if it was a gun to make the cop back off).

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

WHY A CELL PHONE STUN GUN?

Cell phone stun guns are disguised self-defense weapons that look completely innocent and inoffensive. They hang from your belt or purse strap for easy access without anyone knowing you're armed.

www.tbotech.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
when a citizen thinks that something could actually be something other than what it is they are considered paranoid , or even delusional . as has been seen lately , the "state" sees to it that they are not allowed to possess firearms , so why are these cops not being treated as paranoid delusionals and disarmed? I thought that these departments were worried about public safety.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Here is just an example of how you can use mere language to one's advantage. It's not perfect but it may indeed increase the odds of things going easier for you in such incidents.

Example :
"I am recording officer for YOUR safety in case this guy does something we got proof of it and will testify if needed, this is not a weaponized cell phone". --- Because that is actually true (I withhold the other side that I am recording for everyone's safety, unless asked specifically).

The types of replies to such a statement will vary greatly from something that is more say, confrontational or defensive or upset.

Point is, you want to put yourself on the opposite side of the barrel of that gun, since it's almost certainly loaded. Utilize your brain, run a clever mini-psyop. They'd never suspect cunning like that, considering so many people treat them like crap and say hateful things to them increasingly so these days. Being nice will probably be all you need to do to defuse the situation IMHO.

Look if you wanna just talk crap and get beat up, be my guest, but seriously if you oppose govt to a physical level you need to declare a revolution or something first and take it way more seriously.

Cops don't "play by the book", that's a myth.
What cops actually do is carry the book, handcuffs, and weapons. And it's up to their personal discretion what incidents to follow up and what to let go. So if you piss them off, odds increase their discretion will be to throw that book at you, slap the cuffs on or coerce you into signing a citation of some sort.

Communication is of primary importance here.
I like to avoid unnecessary confrontations if possible.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Another one of these stupid videos. I never cared for these small video recorders.

Just one example: One night i was in a bar and someone was filming and she turned the camera towards me and i really didnt want to be on someones video but i was just sitting there so didnt make an issue of it. Plus it was a party they were having so no harm was going to come from it.

During daily activities it is just not normal to be filmed, some places like at a wedding or other event is different but daily activities?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

WHY A CELL PHONE STUN GUN?

Cell phone stun guns are disguised self-defense weapons that look completely innocent and inoffensive. They hang from your belt or purse strap for easy access without anyone knowing you're armed.

www.tbotech.com...

If you don't think someone is armed (someone you don't live with or know very well), you should consider them potentially armed as many actually are.

The valid assumption that anyone could be armed is logical. This does not create a justification for the confiscation of a telephone that may be weaponized, but most likely isnt. I don't have figures on the market share that tazer phones have currently, but I am guessing it is way below 10% still.
edit on 10-4-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher
Another one of these stupid videos. I never cared for these small video recorders.

Just one example: One night i was in a bar and someone was filming and she turned the camera towards me and i really didnt want to be on someones video but i was just sitting there so didnt make an issue of it. Plus it was a party they were having so no harm was going to come from it.

During daily activities it is just not normal to be filmed, some places like at a wedding or other event is different but daily activities?

The only things I filmed on mine so far are my kids feeding the ducks, and going swimming.
Something I actually want to remember.

Of course if a police altercation were to occur, I would have to use the camera in order to put it into evidence to protect the officers and other legal persons involved. Wink Wink.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Not to mention being a cop is a dangerous job. Anyone who signs up to be one and doesn't expect to get injured is an idiot. It doesn't give them the authority to trample on someone's rights to keep themselves "safe". Liberty isn't safe. You don't have the right to be safe in a free society.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

The only things I filmed on mine so far are my kids feeding the ducks, and going swimming.
Something I actually want to remember.

Of course if a police altercation were to occur, I would have to use the camera in order to put it into evidence to protect the officers and other legal persons involved. Wink Wink.

I understand what you are saying and agree but people act differently when they are being filmed, unless you are an actor used to being in front of a camera but usually it is an unnatural feeling.

Also, it seems to me the guy filming couldnt wait for the cop to mention the camera.

Could you imagine if you are a delivery driver or a cab driver and every person you interact with whips out a camera? I bet we would see plenty of angry people.

On the other hand, during a protest march or some kind of demonstration or riot then goes without saying there will be cameras.

I love the technology though, so I cannot complain too much,

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Get used to it, there are cameras everywhere. Stop lights, Local shops, super markets, ATM's, dash cams, cellphone users, and vloggers. You are bound to end up on somebody's camera at some point.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

Get used to it, there are cameras everywhere. Stop lights, Local shops, super markets, ATM's, dash cams, cellphone users, and vloggers. You are bound to end up on somebody's camera at some point.

In the US hardly anyone has a dashcam. I am used to security cameras, no issue with that.

If a random person on the street asks to film me then 99% of the time the answer is NO and if you say you are fine with that then i would find it hard to believe. The only thing i would not mind at all is if someone were filming a building and i was in the shot walking by then then that is no issue either or during some type of event. During a conversation or interaction in the street? No way, unless i explicitly agree to it.

top topics

join