It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Entire Streets' of Roman London Uncovered in the City

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Great just what we need another location for Bloomberg's media, lol.

They could have occupied some of the 100's of millions of empty sq footage we have here in Detroit, or for that matter all over the USA, but no they have to build new in London.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I wonder if the pubs were any different?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Holy smoke! I was gazing at that photo of the amber gladiator amulet for ten minutes! "Exquisite" doesn't even come close to describing it and that thing was made well over a thousand years ago. You think they'll accept fifty bucks for it?

A star richly deserved for posting this.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
In the year 2376 they will dig up some weird structure with a bunch of concrete buildings, and metal rods, with mirror like fragments around in. If our records are gone I wonder what they would think.
edit on 11-4-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doomcake
I wonder if the pubs were any different?

They sound remarkably familiar , another thing the Romans did for us

It sounds strange but the Great British Pub has it’s origins in the rule of the Romans
Romans brought tabernae to Britain with them. Tabernae were wine shops, built along the (straight) roads for passersby to stop and enjoy some sustenance. The buildings were marked with a sign outside displaying vine leaves.
www.theinitialjourney.com...

I reckon there was probably fighting at kicking out time as well

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
I don't think they should call it the 'Pompeii of the North' as that's just crazy talk, nice finds and good insights but it's a low status muddy suburb.

Yeah, distinct lack of volcanic ash too...poetical waxing I assume

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by StockLoc

Originally posted by MUness
Bet?

No mention of Christ.

Takers?

I'm an Atheist, but I agree with you.

1. What are Roman items doing all the way up there across the English channel?

It's the Empire part of the Roman Empire.

2. We know Jesus was killed by the Romans, could this site give us any leads that may influence or change Christianity in any way?

Sure. It shows how the pagan Roman empire brought peace and unprecedented technology and prosperity all across Europe.

Post barbarianism and Christianity, that standard of living of London, certainly for the average person, was likely not replicated until the late 1700's to 1800's as Enlightnment thinking and industrial revolution beat back Christianity from significant power.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Great find!! SnF for you. I need to do more research. Can't wait to look into this.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
That amber object looks a lot like a grenade.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Wonderful History. or maybe Horrible History??

400 years in Britannia, and im sure some Natives still despised the Roman Invaders.

I find its always very interesting to reflect on history and perhaps learn a little?

The Romans were in Britain LONGER, than White Europeans have been in North America!!!!!

Certainly much longer than the Britainians Have been in Australia.

Yet it is interesting that people Still ask, Why have'nt the "Natives" assimilated into our invading culture......

I dont Know?? Ask the Native Brits 2000 years ago...

My "British Colony" is only 176 years Old, Yet if I go back to blighty, I would be called a Foreigner....even tho Im as native as they are.....well the white ones left anyway.....

Once a Roman, always a Roman...even after 400 years.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Treasure Laws in the UK are basically along the lines of finders keepers (if it is your property). In practice though, if it is of National importance it is generally sold to one of the National Museums. If it is MNC property (in this case Bloomberg Europe) it is donated to one of the National Museums - in London (where you would think all the greedy MNC's are) the record over the years is actually 100% of finds donated to museums. This, i have to admit, surprised me given the record of MNC's over the years.

That's very interesting stuff.
Everyone should realize that these events aren't happening in the past ... this dig is like happening totally like right now, in London.

And this video was posted earlier in the thread... Sadie is the main spokesperson on the site.

Can I offer a Conspiracy theory on this? Well here goes: Some of the things that come up from that mud might prove to be tricky to deal with, tricky in terms of the historical narratives. And those Bloombergers will have their greedy hands on any artifacts that could incriminate the powers that presently be.

They could use a vacuum pump to suck up the Holy Grail out of all that muck. And Mr. Bloomberg gets to own it. There is no telling what kind of historical bombshells could be sucked out of that muddy mess! I wonder if the people of London will get to see it all of it! Might some these relics could be swiftly hidden away very far away.... say..... in the Catacombs of the Vatican? /end conspiracy theory

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Amazing stuff. Think how much the earth's circumference has grown because 40 feet of soil is created in 2,000 years. Is that an average deposition rate? What if they dug another 40 feet down, would they find more stuff?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nownow
reply to post by gortex

Amazing stuff. Think how much the earth's circumference has grown because 40 feet of soil is created in 2,000 years. Is that an average deposition rate? What if they dug another 40 feet down, would they find more stuff?
Couple of answers here...first, the circumstance would not be growing because if it rises up here...it has been flattened down there. Secondly...would they find more stuff? I offer a firm Maybe. All depends if folks were around and built or dropped stuff. Sure would be interesting to see.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MUness
Bet?

No mention of Christ.

Takers?

Why would they find any mention of him? For a couple of hundred years AD, Christianity was nothing more than a tiny Mediterranean cult, persecuted by the Romans quite heavily. This is also a site of Mithras, a God who was adopted by Legionaries as their patron, so highly unlikely that even if there were Christians in London at the time, they'd be hanging around the Temple of Mithras adorned with crosses or carrying pro-Jeebus slogans.

1. What are Roman items doing all the way up there across the English channel?

Sigh..... This has been addressed by others, but the Roman Empire and it's outposts stretched, at it's height, from North Africa in the South, Britain in the North and as far as India in the East at some points.

2. We know Jesus was killed by the Romans, could this site give us any leads that may influence or change Christianity in any way?

Unlikely. Jeebus bothering didn't catch on properly in Britain until the 6th century. It wasn't until the 4th century that Romans stopped persecuting Christians.

Originally posted by BarmyBilly
It's surprising anything survived after Boudicca's army burnt London to the ground. To find things this well preserved is just astonishing.

Usually this is the time that you will find the most artifacts. Stuff gets abandoned, dropped and buried under ash and rubble.

Originally posted by thePharaoh
iv got to say

they say its roman...but that isnt 100% accurate
some ofthe finds show this to be a religous site

the artifacts look ancien persian and egyptian
suggesting that this was probably from the era of Mithra, and zorastrains

it was apparently favoured by the roamn soldiers and brought into london with them...which is why its labeled roman.

but the ideology here is much older than the roman era...definatly something from the ancient world.
definatly international.

peace

The Roman Empire, by it's very nature, had people from all over the known world serving within it's Legions. This site is definitely Roman, that is without doubt, although some soldiers and other citizens may have been from somewhere other than Italy. They would have still called themselves Romans though. For example, the Roman origin story of King Arthur has him named as a Sarmatian, who hail from an area near the Crimea.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Why were the Romans so against the Christians?

Because they were a radical anti-state movement. Completely apposed to the authority of the Romans.

The sort of people most modern Christians would label dirty left-wing hippies.

Jesus was an Anarchist. If people don't realise that they have a lot to learn.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Why? Because Christianity demanded adherence to one god which was at odds with all the other religions, subverting the dominant culture. That said, the Romans did eventually realise that the demand of worshiping one God above all others fitted in nicely with the concept of Empire, hence the birth of Roman Catholicism..

EDIT: It's also worth noting that the Empire did quite nicely until they adopted Christianity - from that point on it was rapidly downhill...
edit on 13/4/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Of course, religion became accepted once the state figured out it could use it to their advantage as a form of control.

It's the only way we got may things, like free conditioning, I mean education.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

A bunch o' rowdy winos they were.

They probably put modern day festivities to shame

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Love this post. thanks OP.

Sad part is, you have to wonder how much history we have lost with rampant urban expansion. It seems, thankfully, that we've gotten better about caring for our history and being careful to dig and document sites before putting McDonalds and stripmalls on top of these sites.

Just think of the things that mustve been lost in the last 100+ yrs

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join