It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Entire Streets' of Roman London Uncovered in the City

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
from above...

The site also includes a previously unexcavated section of the Temple of Mithras, a Roman cult, which was first unearthed in 1954.

from here...

Bloomberg Place, roughly the size of a Manhattan city block, is the future European home of Michael R. Bloomberg’s company and charity.

It is the biggest development in this city’s buzzing financial district, and even Olympics-jaded Londoners call it grandiose: two bronze-and-stone towers, connected by sky-bridges atop the ruins of a 2,000-year-old Roman temple.

so ever popular(
) new york mayor bloomberg is building his new headquarters on top of an old temple of mithras'.
what's up with that?

also, taken literally, this is funny...

A wooden door, only the second to be found in London, is another prize find.

what do they use for doors there?

edit on 10-4-2013 by tinhattribunal because: (no reason given)

I'd imagine whenever they had an old door that needed replacing, they would pull it apart and use it for firewood. Therefore, very few would ever be found.

I'm puzzled why so many things from those past millenniums are always buried in clay

Boats I can understand, they sunk during a storm and were covered by layers of sediment at a slow rate ~ 2-5mm/year.

But many areas of land were affected in the same way. Were they hit by floods that dumped tonnes of mud and clay? Imagine having hidden all your savings in clay pots or wooden boxes by burying them in a field, only to be flooded out months later, return and discover that you had lost all your landmarks

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10
reply to post by CX

Nice ghost story,
When I make it to the UK I'm going put York on the list.
That would be awsome to see a Roman ghost.
I've seen a couple of full or mostly full bodied apparitions in my day.

If you want something fun to do on a night time, pay a fiver for a ghost walk. An actor takes you round the city streets for an hour and tells you tales of ghosts, quite entertaining.

York Ghost Walks

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Sweet,
Thanks for the tip

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I liked the archeology and artifacts very much. S&F.

But this is not cool:

When the plaza is finished, visitors may descend from Bloomberg Place to view the temple in its original setting. The artifacts, however, become the property of Bloomberg L.P., spoils of an expanding modern-day empire.
Source www.nytimes.com...

It's sad to think that these won't belong to the the people of London or the people of Britain.... all artifacts now safely in the hands of a globalist billionaire, nascent-dictator.

edit on 4/10/2013 by SayonaraJupiter because: add source

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I don't think they should call it the 'Pompeii of the North' as that's just crazy talk, nice finds and good insights but it's a low status muddy suburb.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
I don't think they should call it the 'Pompeii of the North' as that's just crazy talk, nice finds and good insights but it's a low status muddy suburb.

I think they nicknamed it 'Pompeii of the North' due to the quantity and quality (preservation wise) of the finds , but hey whats in a name

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

This make's my blood boil also as under British law any archaeological find's must be declared to the proper authority's and may be declared "TREASURE TROVE" or "PROPERTY OF THE CROWN", in the first instance that mean's they may be sold but the British museum has first choice and in the second that mean's that they belong to the state, with find's of this magnitude that are equal to the Mary Rose it is likely that the second would become the most likely outcome, so unless mr Bloomburg has greased a few slimy palm's which it more than likely well I leave it to your thought's.

Since the end of the last ice age and the retreat of the glaciation the northern part of the British isle's has been undergoing geological uplift and the southern part including London is actually sinking slowly into the sea. At the time of the Romanisation of Britain Londinium would have been many feet if not metre's higher above sea level and we are a very wet climate country so the depositing of clay over these remains' is not so unusual at all. The real reason the Roman's invaded was that the majority of the classical world's tin for bronze item's was mined in the county of Cornwall and there have been far more sophisticated level's of civilisation in the British isle's than many people would believe as the Britain's had trade links with the Carthaginian's, Greek's, Iberian's, Germanic and of course the other Gaelic and Celtic tribe's, Roman was merely the most spectacular that we know of.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
They've found wood and leather - perfectly preserved!

This is a staggering find. Wow!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's surprising anything survived after Boudicca's army burnt London to the ground. To find things this well preserved is just astonishing.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter

But this is not cool:

When the plaza is finished, visitors may descend from Bloomberg Place to view the temple in its original setting. The artifacts, however, become the property of Bloomberg L.P., spoils of an expanding modern-day empire.

It's sad to think that these won't belong to the the people of London or the people of Britain.... all artifacts now safely in the hands of a globalist billionaire, nascent-dictator.

Funny...in Ontario, it would all belong to the Province under the Ontario Heritage Act.
edit on 10-4-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by StockLoc

Originally posted by MUness
Bet?

No mention of Christ.

Takers?

I'm an Atheist, but I agree with you.

1. What are Roman items doing all the way up there across the English channel?

2. We know Jesus was killed by the Romans, could this site give us any leads that may influence or change Christianity in any way?

Regards,

Stock Loc

england was a roman colony for 400 years, quite a few future emperors came from britain.
they had a wall that separated scotland from england, hadrian's wall where a roman legion was stationed.

i'm sorry but it makes me sad that people don't know this stuff anymore.

as for your second question.. why would it? there is a modern belief that joseph of arimathea journeyed to britain after the death of jesus with the grail, and spreading christianity to the natives. this story is much later tied to king arthur and the knights of the round table.
there is no evidence of this, the evidence shows that christianity spread slowly really spreading in the 6th century when pop gregory sent augustine of canterbury to found a church.

there was of course earlier people who attempted to convert the native people, like saint alban, or even earlier aristobulus thought to have been a follower of paul of tarsis.

there was not really anything important in britain, other than of course to bring the christian religion to the people, nothing devastating to the religion.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

But this is not cool:

i think if the british people caused a big enough stink, parliament would make bloomberg hand them over. are people in london not aware of bloomberg having control over their history like that?

i hope someone does something, it's a travesty if bloomberg deprives people of our collective history.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MUness
Bet?

No mention of Christ.

Takers?

Why would Romans mention Christ?

Oh.... now I get it, you need proof he doesn't exist to feel better somehow? Funny that, most who don't believe in him just live life anyway. So why do you get so agitated with him?
edit on 10-4-2013 by pacifier2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
iv got to say

they say its roman...but that isnt 100% accurate
some ofthe finds show this to be a religous site

the artifacts look ancien persian and egyptian
suggesting that this was probably from the era of Mithra, and zorastrains

it was apparently favoured by the roamn soldiers and brought into london with them...which is why its labeled roman.

but the ideology here is much older than the roman era...definatly something from the ancient world.
definatly international.

peace

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

from above... The site also includes a previously unexcavated section of the Temple of Mithras, a Roman cult, which was first unearthed in 1954.

There it is. I was slack jawed in amazement first of all. The items are all incredible. But I kept going back to the fact that the site was in The City, the financial part of the "soverign" control trinity along with Vatican City (religious) and Washington DC (military).

There has got to be another agenda with this dig I thought, and then BAM. Smack dab into your post about a Mithraeum. Not sure totally that that was the agenda of which I speak, but I guarantee you that forces within The City have an interest in something within that site, unfortunately it is unlikely that the public will ever hear about what that is or what they find to that end.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Here are a couple of videos of the dig site , the BBC video gives us a glimpse of some of the artifacts including the gladiator's helmet amulet and shows just how small it is , which to my mind makes it even more impressive .

edit on 11-4-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing this story to our attention.

Looking at the foundation timbers and imagining how much effort and how long they were useful along with all the lives that came and went gives me a different perspective.

Also, imagining the person who did the leather work must have looked at it many times while completing it lets us glimpse apart of his life and sort of wonder.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

But this is not cool:

Treasure Laws in the UK are basically along the lines of finders keepers (if it is your property). In practice though, if it is of National importance it is generally sold to one of the National Museums. If it is MNC property (in this case Bloomberg Europe) it is donated to one of the National Museums - in London (where you would think all the greedy MNC's are) the record over the years is actually 100% of finds donated to museums. This, i have to admit, surprised me given the record of MNC's over the years.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

edit on 11-4-2013 by Flavian because: Deleted

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
fascinating..
I do love this stuff and really do wish we had more money to plough into more archaeological digs..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join