It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Can Be in Awe of Philippine Taliban Backyard Gunsmithing...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by guppy
Don't forget in the Philippines, it is legal to own full-auto firearms. But it is illegal to own a .50 cal rifle. Why? Because the politicians don't want to be assassinated from a mile away. Their bodyguards would be near as useless stopping a sniper from that far away without foreknowledge of the attack.

In the full version of the video, they follow a Philippino politician going from village to village, campaigning. It takes a long convoy of heavily armed soldiers to accomplish campaigning in the Philippines.

And there is a segment showing the police chief displaying three backyard manufactured Barrett 50 cals that were confiscated.

Somehow I don't think the Philippine Taliban gunsmiths spend a lot of time worrying about which guns are legal and which are illegal.

I guess it was a heckuva feat for Douglas MacArthur to so fully understand the Philippino situation.

AND TO SLAP MYSELF ON THE FOREHEAD FOR NOT THINKING OF IT SOONER; for those who are having problems accessing the HBO site, there's youtube..

Vice Season 1: Episode 1 Extra - Backyard Gunshop

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Those guns look just like high quality production models. Very cool. I wish i had detailed info on this, I'd make one or two.

Neat thing is if this was in America, it would be 100% legal. We have no laws aganst making homemade guns. I have never seen a homemade gun look so nice before though. Cheap too. I'd buy one after it had been tested very well.

It's amazing how these children....and, yes, many of the gunsmiths are children.....can make quality weapons out of stockpiles of discarded metal.

You'd think that these Taliban gunsmiths would think they'd died and gone to paradise to have as many metal junkyards as we have here in America.

All those crushed automobiles from the Obama trade in of used cars for cash......Man, just one crushed 1980 Cope de Ville in the hands of a Taliban gunsmith could probably produce a Howitzer artillery piece.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The heritage of firearms manufacturing is deep within the Philippine culture. A large manufacture is ArmsCorp Inc. They manufacture alot of the 1911 blanks that are used in the US manufactures realm.

Check out the Rock Island Armory line of firearms. Great guns at a good price.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The heritage of firearms manufacturing is deep within the Philippine culture. A large manufacture is ArmsCorp Inc. They manufacture alot of the 1911 blanks that are used in the US manufactures realm.

Check out the Rock Island Armory line of firearms. Great guns at a good price.

You know what I find synchronistic about the Philippine made 1911....the 1911 came into prominence to fight Moro guerillas in the Philippine-American War. They say the overlarge Moro warriors weren't easily stopped by the standard army issue .38s.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by coltcall

I will be starting my own company here shortly.
Along with a day job, that will be my second job.

Will you be actually making guns or doing "tune ups"? Either way, I'd be interested to see your website if you have one. PM that, I'm sure advertising is against T&C.
And people think we in the US are gun nuts. These guys have us beat all to hell on gun violence. I do admire their talent though. Gonna go finish watching the episode.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
They do some heavy duty home gunsmithing in the villages in Pakistan's Khyber Pass that I'd say is on par with what the Filipinos are producing. Pretty impressive stuff.

Vice did a piece on it a while back, as well. That video is here:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by coltcall

a 3d printer won't revolutinize gun making.If you see the one the guy just made,it took 9 months! I have a dinosaur cnc mill and lathe,I could do that in a couple of days at most.It's not like printing out a sheet of paper.It builds up layers a hair at a time,a hair wide,and the code is miles long!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
human Ingenuity never stops amazing me, we could make a gun out of wood if we tried hard enough.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join