It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ship launched Scuds/missiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Do countries still have these?
wasn't during the cold war where they converted shipping containers into mobile missile platforms which can fire missiles at short notice.

could north Korea deploy the same tactic to hit the US if they wanted?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Yes, but they wouldn't be nukes. Weaponizing a warhead is far more than the blasts so far exhibited by their tests.

The greater threat is a nuke actually in the container, and detonated in a port, but still a fairly unlikely threat...though not impossible, and virtually guaranteeing the end of his regime with all velvet gloves off.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Considering where North Korea supposedly is with their land to air long range missile development, I find it highly unlikely they'd have capabilities of delivering a missile from a ship. That's not to say they don't have the capability of doing it at all, but they wouldn't be able to get any of their warships within striking distance of the US without the US intervening.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

That's why you don't use a warship, but a cargo container one. Still though, difficult, though not impossible, but not really seeing it as a very viable threat...maybe one or two isolated attacks would succeed, and for what, to give a black eye to someone with a gun to your head?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

its North Korea,
they are very unstable so wouldn't they do that anyway before they get wiped out?
even if it is container with a nuke or low yield nuclear weapon launch (if they had the capability)
wouldn't they utilize it

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
ships arriving and leaving NK can be tracked from above, on the surface, and below the surface. it's hard to hide on the open ocean.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

They're not unstable at all. They were following a script that has worked for years. They bluster and beat their chests, the world pays attention to them, and gives them things. It worked fairly well for them for at least 20 years or so, so why wouldn't it work now? The problem now is that he's gone off script, and no one knows where this will go now.
edit on 4/10/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I agree that the container or cargo vessel would be the best bet. I also feel that it's unlikely because everything entering and exiting North Korea is under serious surveillance right now. We even know that fuel has been readied and administered to the missiles being lined up on North Korea's eastern coast... I feel like we've got their activities pretty well monitored.. Although it is known that they have massive underground complexes. Lord knows what is happening there.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by bodrul

They're not unstable at all. They were following a script that has worked for years. They bluster and beat their chests, the world pays attention to them, and gives them things. It worked fairly well for them for at least 20 years or so, so why wouldn't it work now? The problem now is that he's gone off script, and no one knows where this will go now.
edit on 4/10/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

This is exactly right. The thing that makes this situation so scary is that the script isn't being followed anymore. Little Kim is an unknown at this point. We know how his father handled this stuff but there is nothing saying Un will do the same. As we've already seen, he's making some unexpected moves or at least moves that don't follow the usual pattern.
edit on 10-4-2013 by ZiggyMojo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
i mean..why that title...thinking about it ..y a thread about that?..you should have tried to find an appropriate thread from the thousands about north korea available

from the flags given i knew it was some kind of BS..your title suggests an attack happenning now

edit on 10-4-2013 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Hard yes...but not impossible. There is a risk, to be sure, but it's a small one.

For example, if the largest nuke NK has tested so far (highest estimate is 20kt) were to go off in San Diego's harbor, here would be the area affected...

Not really as bad as you likely assumed. Terrible, horrific to be sure, but hardly any kind of real tactical blow. Instead, it would simply ignite the public and give the military carte blanche to do whatever they liked to NK, civilians and all.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Isn't Iran making a serious effort to make these missile launchers?
It doesn't seem that hard to accomplish honestly, the hard part is miniaturizing the warhead.
edit on 10-4-2013 by concernedcitizen519 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

as someone that doesn't care about Flags and stars
people have the option to disagree with a topic and the freewill to post or ignore it
not come into and act uptight and all mighty

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Our (as in Britain) first nuclear test was the effects of a ship smuggled nuke, and from that point in the 1950s to this day I am sure on the one hand there are grave concerns for this happening in different shapes and forms, and on the other hand they have had 60+ years to formulate ways of protecting our coastline from such attacks, so I would say the chances of one happening, either ship smuggled or via a container launched weapon quite small..

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Oh dear lol.

I thought when I glanced at the thread title thst ships had just launched them.

Goddamit.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I hope that NK doesn't monitor this site.....We are giving them a lot of good ideas if they are

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You would blow up the Midway! What do you have against that poor ship?

To date the North Korean tests have been very small yield devices. Yet people still scream about how they have a "super EMP bomb" on their satellite in orbit. The claim is that they have a third generation nuclear warhead, and that they don't need to test it, because the atomic bombs in 1945 weren't tested, so why should they have to now? God the fear mongering is atrocious lately.

new topics

top topics

join