The Internet Piracy Conspiracy - Piracy don't hurt sales says European Commission and others

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
payola used to be illegal
a famous DJ, Allan Freed did time for accepting bribes from record companies to play specific tunes back in the late 50s.
now payola is LEGAL and the record companies and government (see Romney's conection to clearchannel , the biggest radio, and concertvenue owner in the US), and whoever else can pay to get played...

so much for art for arts sake

its not about artistic integrity...its about everything but

Wow I never heard of "payola" until now, and just learned a ton by researching it. Thanks Dan!
payola wiki

This explains exactly why good original music rarely makes it, while all of this pop garbage is pushed and promoted and treated like gold.

It's not actually gold, it's just they want to promote specific messages / ideas, and push all that symbolism they painstakingly put into it.

Check this quote out :

On September 25, 2007, the U.S. Congress held a hearing on hip hop music entitled From Imus to Industry: The Business of Stereotypes and Degrading Images.[13] In her testimony, Lisa Fager Bediako argued that misogynistic and racist stereotypes permeate hip hop music because record labels, radio stations, and music video channels profit from allowing such material to air while censoring other material.

In that context, Fager stated: Payola is no longer the local DJ receiving a couple dollars for airplay; it is now an organized corporate crime that supports the lack of balanced content and demeaning imagery with no consequences.[14]

I agree it is a highly deceptive criminal act, to conduct such fraudulent and manipulative deceitful practices, attempt to brainwash the public and control them through subtle programming, etc.

And turn us all into what? Sex crazed lawless freaks who only care about money screw everyone else? Why yes, that is exactly what it appears they want us to become. Good little slaves stripped of all human dignity and respectability.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Danbones
payola used to be illegal
a famous DJ, Allan Freed did time for accepting bribes from record companies to play specific tunes back in the late 50s.
now payola is LEGAL and the record companies and government (see Romney's conection to clearchannel , the biggest radio, and concertvenue owner in the US), and whoever else can pay to get played...

so much for art for arts sake

its not about artistic integrity...its about everything but

Wow I never heard of "payola" until now, and just learned a ton by researching it. Thanks Dan!
payola wiki

This explains exactly why good original music rarely makes it, while all of this pop garbage is pushed and promoted and treated like gold.

It's not actually gold, it's just they want to promote specific messages / ideas, and push all that symbolism they painstakingly put into it.

Check this quote out :

On September 25, 2007, the U.S. Congress held a hearing on hip hop music entitled From Imus to Industry: The Business of Stereotypes and Degrading Images.[13] In her testimony, Lisa Fager Bediako argued that misogynistic and racist stereotypes permeate hip hop music because record labels, radio stations, and music video channels profit from allowing such material to air while censoring other material.

In that context, Fager stated: Payola is no longer the local DJ receiving a couple dollars for airplay; it is now an organized corporate crime that supports the lack of balanced content and demeaning imagery with no consequences.[14]

I agree it is a highly deceptive criminal act, to conduct such fraudulent and manipulative deceitful practices, attempt to brainwash the public and control them through subtle programming, etc.

And turn us all into what? Sex crazed lawless freaks who only care about money screw everyone else? Why yes, that is exactly what it appears they want us to become. Good little slaves stripped of all human dignity and respectability.

Want to get even madder?
Look up PLUG-OLA... Plugola is like payola on steroids. Its when a newspaper of news Station presents a news story which is actually a paid for commercial- But its done in the context of "news"
i.e.- CNN hypes the recent scientific study of Orange Juice in promoting a healthy sex life (obviously I am paraphrasing) which is actually paid for by the Orange growers association but aired as a "news story"

Payola and plugola are the reasons for LOTS of things wrong with the mainstream.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Ok post the answer to this question. If you dare!

Out of all the 'bootleg' movies you have watched in the last year:
How many did you end up buying on DVD?
How many did you then go to the theater to watch a second time?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

I can Honestly say that of the Bootleg movies I watched I bought 100% of them.

But the hook is, I did not watch ANY bootleg Movies. I PURPOUSLY setup my PCLINUXOS to NOT be able to watch movies or music, I play games on it ( linux games which are FREE)

see how easy that was.

I also removed Media player from my windows box no movies or music on it either.

I'm a book worm, my imagination is 100 times better than ANY movie (real paper books too not ebooks)

if I want music I listen to the radio station, that's why I have a radio. I don't even watch or own a TV anymore I watch Hulu (not plus) and have an adblocker so I don't get adds. the **AA's will Never get my money or endorsement

My Neighbor gave me a DVD movie to watch the other day, I didn't even think about it I put it in my PC and................ Nothing Happened. I can't even play a DVD, he thought my PC was busted, so I explained the **'AA's and SOPA/PIPA/CISPA/TPP to him, he was amazed.....
edit on 11-4-2013 by thedigirati because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

-The Hobbit...And Avatar (I know that isnt new)
I also watch very few movies- But these two I wanted to see at the Imax for the Visuals alone... But I am a bad representation since I watch maybe 1 movie each month or less.
Hobbit sucked BTW (knew it from the screener) but the visuals and the "world" were incredible to the extent that I needed to watch it at the Imax .

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
So Samkent, what are YOU doing to get Darth Vader Paid? What are You doing to keep Lindsay Lohan sober? what are you doing about that Crazy Amanda Bynes? Are you going to support Beyonce and Jay-Z going to Cuba? or buy Jay-Z's new rap song??? (about going to Cuba and getting Obama impeached)

What are YOU doing about Hollywood accounting? or all the music artists that have not seen royalty payments???

Just remember, when you point a finger 3 more are pointing BACK AT YOU.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Can some one get the press to print this?
good news.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

Between Hulu, Netflix (which we pay 7 bucks a month for) and the best of the 3 for last, Movie2k.to - I don't buy any movies or go to the theater. No need to own on dvd when I can watch them free and legally anytime I want to. Same with Internet radio stations.. anything I want to hear on demand is available for free. With millions of hits per day and the advertising these companies do, the record and movie companies are making a killing.

Heck I don't even have cable TV. The wife watches it sometimes via sdtv quality over the air antenna. All the tv shows I wanna see I get legally for free on the internet.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Gotta chime on this. It is true also of other medium such as video games.
2 brilliant examples and shadowing on the third.

Half Life 2 at a quality level of completion was leaked to the web. It had so many downloads that developers Valve put the title back on the drawing board and created "Steam" which worked initially as a verification for purchase and game launcher. Valve through such a model changed the entire landscape of digital delivered content. Promotes modification and beyond the release content.
Thanks to piracy digital content delivery and purchasing became successful.

Deux Ex Human Revolution a title with a complex story not outside reading of ATS. Conspiracy at highest levels human augmentation and transhumanist agenda.
The games preview to press version of about 30% was then leaked to the internet. Despite a demo on the cards for release the leaked preview did for the games noterity, word of mouth, quality and promotion than any demo could have hoped to achieve thus at release the title sold a phenomenal amount.

This week also saw Ubisofts Uplay suffer from a glitch and leak a game not even known to exist Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Which twitter and social circles are fast being talked about. Likely this will have the same effect on the ourchases.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yea I learned about Payola recently in a history of rock class I took at my college. I am also aware that it has continued. But see here's the thing, I didn't need to know about Payola or other schemes to profit off of artists' hard work, I already knew that the mainstream music coming out the last 30 - 35 years has been slowly getting more and more watered down, bland, and unoriginal. In other words crap. I'm not even a baby boomer, but I see more artistic diversity and integrity in music from the late 60's and early 70's then I do from much of the stuff on the radio today.

Though, just because the music on the radio isn't worth listening to anymore, doesn't mean you can't find music that is worth listening to. There are plenty of bands and artists with real artistic integrity. You just have to be able to look for them and know how to find them. Many of these bands could care less if you download their music, heck most of them allow for free taping and distributions of their concerts. These bands make their money the real way, by playing music live.

Many artists these days have forgotten what it means to be an artist. They see the successful artists that make millions of dollars, yet fail to see that these artists are betraying their art. Art isn't supposed to be able making money hand over fist. Sure it can be a consequence of doing it well enough that many people appreciate it and give you money to do more of it, but that should be secondary to what matters with art. If you desire to be an artist, the drive to just put out your art and let people experience and appreciate it is what should matter.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
As a content creator, I think the problem is the way art and entertainment have come to be viewed. Artists do deserve to be paid, and if a third part helps promote their material, then sure, they do deserve a cut. But ultimately, it is not a true commodity. Until recent times, the role of an artist or performer in society was dramatically different than it is now. Artists and performers made their money on commissioned work, live performances, and what amounted to donations by those who wished to the artist to continue creating--and that is what we need to get back to.

Art is not a commodity. I'd love to make millions writing, but I want it to be because people want me to create more, not because I became a commodity. At this point, I only have one released work, a trial run of the ebook system, if you will, through Amazon. I wanted to test the feasibility of the direct marketing for authors in the current environment while I worked on grander projects, and the truth is, it's lacking. There simply is no good means to connect to an audience without some form of traditional promotion. Even word of mouth requires a certain base level to gain traction. This, in turn, brings me back around to the entire dilemma of the art distribution industries and their place in it all. How do you use the beast without supporting the beast?

In the end, if you want to see it change, then its individuals who have to change it. (and they have, somewhat, in the music industry.) Seek out artists selling directly (or at least quasi-directly, like Amazon, iTunes, etc) to the public over mostly bland content of the big distribution channels. Because if you don't, artists are left with no other recourse but to feed the beast. And not only does that mean more power to those who wish to abuse it, it also means "art" that is driven towards being a commodity rather than real art.

As a side note of sorts, it would be nice if sites like ATS had forums for alternative content creators to promote their material on. Not for them to get spammed all to hell, but where established site members who happen to be content creators could get exposure. My little book that I used as a trial of the ebook system, for example, would likely play well with the demographic here in a number of ways, despite its limitations, yet--for good reason--such promotion is banned from regular forum activity. I can think of few better ways to "wake up" the world, as it were, than the power of the arts, but mainstream channels and their easily accessible and "comfortable" works will never make a dent.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

there are websites that do what you are looking for, I know of one for certain that would be of great interest to you if you don't know it already U2U me and I'll pass on the info.

or you could create a website for your self and give away a chapter to gain interest, there are free ones (I think) doesn't have to be fancy at first but something simple to direct folks to

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thedigirati

I know of a few sites, but still...you end up being one voice shouting in a crowd. Much the same for a personal website. They make good supplemental outlets, but unless you're lucky, the right people will never know it exists.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

true self promotion is a daunting task, but it's also part of the fun, and the best part is, you don't have to share the rewards, I was never able to fill in the details of writing, but I'm a heck of an Idea man.

My art is more in to photography, it's an innate skill I've had all my life. that's one of my pics in my avatar, of my lovely wife.

I do not do it for a living and like some other ventures I've had in the past it's all word of mouth, I have a daytime job.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
So Samkent, what are YOU doing to get Darth Vader Paid? What are You doing to keep Lindsay Lohan sober? what are you doing about that Crazy Amanda Bynes? Are you going to support Beyonce and Jay-Z going to Cuba? or buy Jay-Z's new rap song??? (about going to Cuba and getting Obama impeached)

What are YOU doing about Hollywood accounting? or all the music artists that have not seen royalty payments???

Just remember, when you point a finger 3 more are pointing BACK AT YOU.

I never said I was a saint.
It's been a full 10 years since I've been to the cinema. Yes I do watch movies. So how much money have they lost on me alone?

My lady is an avid reader. She has her favorite authors. For Xmas I gave her a Kindle and I loaded it with hundreds of books by her favorites.
How much money have they lost on me alone?

Will I ever pay for media when I can get it for free on the web?

You can't sit there and say the artists and companies are not losing out. There are laws about protecting peoples interlectual property.
What do you think a patent is? It's to protect someones ideas.
What do you think copyright protection is? It's to protect someones works from being copied.

Just wait until computers and software advance a couiple more knotches. Where you can use a video snipet of an actor/actress and download it into the software. Then the software will create video of the actor/actress saying and doing anything you want. Talk about SHTF! Lawsuits will be thick as flys in the outback.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Thats just it, the numbers of claimed "piracy" are made up so there is no loss at all. but those same folks are trying to pass laws that restrict the rights of the individual, just like the proposed gun laws, they will not prevent another "sandy hook". Instead of looking at the cause of it all (legacy business models and mental health) they pass "feel good" legislation. It does little to nothing to solve the issue at the core of it.

this is the main problem with the governments of today, it's a business to them. to line there OWN pockets at the cost of the "unwashed masses"

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Glad to hear about the report. Comes as no surprise to me.

What I would like to ask these big media companies is, if I buy a CD or a DVD or go see a movie at the theatre and I don't like the game or the music or film can I get a refund.

Can you imagine, you go to the movie theatre and sit through a film. You come out and go to the ticket desk and tell them the movie was a load of tosh and you want your money back.

If you could do that I would have a bit more respect for them.

As it is if your daft enough to buy everything they produce you will find you have to spend a lot of money on total garbage before you find a good one.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I can tell you that the vast majority of stuff that I pirate I would likely never contemplate buying in the first place and stuff that I pirate and do enjoy / use, I almost always end up buying.

Piracy affects sales adversely as much as junk food sales are adversely affected by nutritional information on food packaging. The entire 'piracy' scaremongering is designed to try sidle more systems of control into consumer products. /fact

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Interesting info, OP. Thanks for posting. I have heard similar results from -- I believe -- another recent study.

First off, I think the repercussions of digital media are still not well understood, and it will be a while before society works out rules for dealing effectively and fairly with this technology and intellectual property rights. But here are some random thoughts of mine on the matter:

Back in the early 20th century, music companies made money off of sheet music, and even when there started being recording artists contracted to music companies, these companies didn't like radio and the fact that "their" music could be played there. Only after a while did they figure out that radio play was advertising for their product. Perhaps online piracy works similarly; however, if one can get the same quality of media free, I don't see people paying for it unless their are legal consequences to pirating.

As the reports say, a vast portion of the pirated material would not have been purchased/acquired otherwise, so it is not clear that each act of piracy cuts into media purchases, but clearly unfettered pirating will affect sales negatively, particularly as more and more people becoming savvy to downloading without paying for media.

But here are some observations I have in my own experience.

1) I have bought music first as records, then as CDs, then remastered CD's have come out andI have duplicated some of these purchases as well. Now I am supposed to pay for purely digital recordings of these same albums, if I don't want to bother with burning them from my own CDs? In this respect I think media companies are being very piggish, and I have no sympathy for them.

2) There have been albums (cd or record) that I have looked high and low for in stores for years to no avail, and have even ordered from a record/music store, but wasn't in the end able to get a copy of because it was said to be out of print. But as it turns out, on the web these items were freely available. If companies can't provide the product for their would-be consumers, then again I have no sympathy for them.

There is a lot of obscure music -- lots of it out of print or created decades ago --out there that most people would never be aware of if it weren't for various blogspots. Free online distribution is helping to promote such cultural materials, and may lead to sales of related material. It certainly helps to keep portions of culture alive that would otherwise die out because they aren't massively popular and being marketed.

3) Then there are all these (apparently legal) music streaming services, online indie music distributors of free content in order to market indy artists, and similar sites for ebooks. So in other words there are legal/legitimate ways of getting free media downloads. This just seems to promote wild-cat downloading of all sorts of media.

4) Given the marginal cost of making a digital copy for some sale by any media company, the prices they charge for purely electronic video, music and books is highway robbery. In some cases electronic books cost more than their printed counterparts. If media companies want to make pirating less appealing, then they should offer more reasonable prices.

5) There are people who are conditioned to pay for everything and/or ignorant of how to download for free, or are fearful of authority and of breaking laws. Or they make plenty of money, so they don't mind paying for stuff. These people are the loyal herd-mentality consumers media companies rely on. I think this population is decreasing in size as time goes on. Frankly, I feel sorry for record/music stores and book stores; I see them going the way of video stores.

As an anecdote, the band My Bloody Valentine recently released a new album, which apparently is only available commercially from the band's website. I did a online search, and sure enough there were already freely available copies available from several file-sharing sites. However, the local indy music stores didn't have copies because it was only commercially available from the artist. I really felt sorry for the proprietor of the store when this came to my attention; these music stores are on their way out. And from how few customers were in there, that day is fast approaching.

Related to this, if some more equitable system is not worked out between producers and consumers of media content, I can see there being a day when no profit for content makers (movie producers, actors, etc; musicians; and authors will cause these purveyors of culture to choose to stop producing such products. Thus a system more fair to both consumers and producers should be worked out; otherwise we might end up with a cultural Dark Age. To claim that online piracy has no effect on media sales is being disingenuous

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
Glad to hear about the report. Comes as no surprise to me.

What I would like to ask these big media companies is, if I buy a CD or a DVD or go see a movie at the theatre and I don't like the game or the music or film can I get a refund.

Can you imagine, you go to the movie theatre and sit through a film. You come out and go to the ticket desk and tell them the movie was a load of tosh and you want your money back.

If you could do that I would have a bit more respect for them.

As it is if your daft enough to buy everything they produce you will find you have to spend a lot of money on total garbage before you find a good one.

Heck, why not do that with restaurants and grocery stores too? You don't like the quality of your meal or product, get your money back, no questions asked. Don't see that working out. Why do you see it being appropriate for media?

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join