It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet Piracy Conspiracy - Piracy don't hurt sales says European Commission and others

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Some band comes out with a great song or game company comes out with a great game and they make a lot of money, then great everyone's happy.

If a crappy band comes out with a crappy song or a game company comes out with a crappy game and they don't sell well, then it's "ZOMG! IT MUST BE PIRACY!". Which leads to over-reacting like the RIAA filing silly lawsuits for $75 trillion dollars or leading to "always on-line" policies or un-deletable save files.

edit on 10-4-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
And then there is the good old argument that goes something like this:

I have spent a huge amount of money on making this film/video/music/game/picture. I sell it for people to enjoy and for me and the crew to get paid.

You haven't paid for it - why should you think it to be your right to steal it?

The sales might not be substantially higher if it isn't pirated, but again - why should you get to enjoy it if you havent' paid for it?

You don't pay for the car - you don't get it.
You don't pay for the meal you don't get it.
You don't pay for the hooker you don't get her.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the day (10-15 years) when quantum computers faster than the universe come along, and are able to produce every possible number sequence permutation in a reasonable time frame.

How does that work then, you generated the correct numbers that just happen to be identical to the video stream of the latest Hollywood blockbuster.....so, you are a pirate? You can be prosecuted for "generating" said sequence of numbers?

You will also of generated video streams for works that haven't even been produced yet, so then if the above holds true, then so does this...when said studio releases that a particular movie, via digital form, you can sue them for copyright infringement as you generated that sequence of numbers first.

Its a ludicrous situation, but my point is valid no?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I don't believe in intellectual property, it's a scam.

I only believe in physical objects.

If someone steals a physical object, that's probably wrong.

If someone copies an idea, well they are called "Advancing humans learning new ideas/technology".

And it's all silly and absurd really anyhow if you think about it. Do the Chinese peoples get royalties for all gunpowder trades? Should we all pay a native American tax when we buy chili?

I'm serious. Either have 100% full intellectual property and stick to the principles, or just eliminate the garbage idea of owning ideas in the first place.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by fuserleer
I'm waiting for the day (10-15 years) when quantum computers faster than the universe come along, and are able to produce every possible number sequence permutation in a reasonable time frame.

Time frame for a true quantum computer is more like .000000000000000001% of a second. Or a trillionth of that. Whichever. Instantly basically. Near infinite calculations near instantaneously (in theory).

But I am so skeptical of that kind of technology ever falling into human beings hands, not anytime soon at least.

To have such a computer working, all 100% of the cosmic rays must be blocked from hitting it lest it skew the computation. I don't think even 100 feet of lead will do it. We will need to develop extremely powerful electromagnetic shielding technology in order to make advancements.

Without the mastery of the electromagnetic spectrum we will never reach type 1 civ status.
And what do you know, that's the #1 most covered up and forbidden /obfuscated tech of all in our current paradigm.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It's their fault for not protecting their property.

They want the government to use tax payer dollars to help them protect their business.

It's just greed in the end.
edit on 4/10/2013 by die_another_day because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It is not piracy to go into a library and check out a book, movie or music. And other than the library buying whatever copies it has to check out, nobody got paid one thin dime more for every check out of this material. No library has ever been charged with anything illegal. In all honesty using a library is no different from downloading and watching, listening or reading something on line. And most artists or authors would be thrilled to have a library make there creations available.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This control is only going to get worse as 3D printing becomes mainstream. With 3D printing, you can now copy actual items. Like say, Need a fork? Print one. How about a 3D statue of a Disney character? It can also be done. This tech is getting better and better by the year now that it is becoming affordable for the average person. It's going to revolutionalize the manufacturing process as anything can be created with a simple cad file and the correct type of 3D printer. Not to mention since this is an additive method of manufacturing as opposed to the subtractive method used by all current manufacturing methods, means it will drastically reduce costs. The internet is just the beginning. The government and corporations are going to be blindsided as this technology matures into a very real manufacturing industry that can bring jobs back to States and breathe life into our small businesses. Expect much backlashing from tptb much in line with what is going on with the internet.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I also don't believe piracy hurts profits. When I was a teen I had no disposable income, the internet didn't exist as it does now, so piracy want a real option, like it is now. It was very rare that i bought a C.D. album as they were extortionate prices, like £15 or more. Also there wasn't much music I wanted to own anyway. The music I did buy I tended to stick with for years later, so I would tend to pay more towards certain bands etc anyhow. i think this is basically how piracy these days works.
Its really young people with no disposable income that pirate music and video, but the artists they pirate from should be pleased as in most cases those young people will stay fans and pay for material as they grow up and earn money.
Radio head offered a free download of their last album, and you could choose how much you wanted to pay, including zero. the band stated it was their most profitable album ever.
so that's all anyone needs to say on the matter.
the clamp down on piracy is ill advised even from an economic viewpoint. Yet all we see is ill advised economics.
The piracy model, should in fact be spread out to other industries, like food.
edit on 10-4-2013 by TheBlackHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
IMO, the biggest loss the recording / movie industry made was self inflicted, and it was not going digital distribution in the first place.

They didn't see that the future was digital, so they didn't bother to keep up with technology and from profiting from the technology by making the effort to go digital. So by fighting technologic advances in distribution and not growing with the times, they entrenched themselves into a losing battle with those able to manipulate technology.

Then of course to make up for their losses, they jacked the prices way up, and 'still' expected that piracy would go down.

Consider if you will, bulk DVD's go for $10-15 for 50. Your average geek knows the cost of copying data onto it, is low. So aside from the initial costs of buying the hardware to burn thousands of copies a day, and maintenance; the record/dvd makers are really raking in an insane amount over dvd/cd sales. Yes they pay some of that to the actors and such, but over all, it's pretty insane money.

No I am not saying: Go forth ye pirates. I am saying that the Recording & Movie Industry dropped the ball, and are stuck playing catch up.

There are signs that the industry is catching on, if you note how well Amazon and Netflix are doing.
M.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane2

That's all wonderful but:

I'm in a band and piracy helps sales. Music industry generates money but only a versy small percentage reverts back to the creators of the said music. 30 Seconds to Mars created a multi million album (in sales) and had to pay to the publishers, they didn't receive a dime.

Most musicians don't care about piracy, they care about concert sales.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Good post! I think the real reason behind the tort is money. These companies are paying huge amounts of money to bribe gov officials to keep them in charge. This is where power comes in. Networks and companies like ABC work with the government and do their propaganda for them, willingly. If new source of entertainment come up, the goverment no longer controls it. That is where money comes back in. The money is not only from companies, it is also coming from our own goverment. The US goverment spent almost 1 billion dollars last year on media rights and restrictions. Tell me again that we are not addicted to spending, please.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Good post! I think the real reason behind the tort is money. These companies are paying huge amounts of money to bribe gov officials to keep them in charge. This is where power comes in. Networks and companies like ABC work with the government and do their propaganda for them, willingly. If new source of entertainment come up, the goverment no longer controls it. That is where money comes back in. The money is not only from companies, it is also coming from our own goverment. The US goverment spent almost 1 billion dollars last year on media rights and restrictions. Tell me again that we are not addicted to spending, please.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Just to be clear on a FACT:
stealing = SUBTRACTION
copying = ADDITION

if you "steal" my car, I do not have it anymore.

If you "copy" my music/movie/ebook, I still HAVE the music/movie/ebook

BTW the **AA's want to be rid of libraries as well, which is why digital books expire after X number of loans

the publishers of books are having a hard time of it right now, but there are more authors than EVER before

the music RECORDING industries are seeing a decline in CD sales, but more music is being made now than EVER before

the movie industries are making MORE PROFIT than ever before, and yet there are saying they are being short changed. anyone with a camera or cell phone can make a movie now

(BTW the actor who played Darth Vader in return of the Jedi HAS NEVER been Paid)
Did you know that the "return of the Jedi" HAS NEVER MADE A PROFIT ( who is ripping whom OFF?)

I read books, quite a bit, my wife estimates that I have read about a Million books in the last 20 years. if I like an Author and his work I WILL pay for it. ( I bought "Area 51" by Robert Doherty at Goodwill for 50 cents, used, there are another 9 books to the Series, I bought those at 6$ per book plus shipping, why? I could have bought them for 50 cents used, but I want books 11-14 to be written) that is called "return the benefit" and goes hand in hand with "connect with fans" those are viable business models that WORK. Suing your customer base is not a viable long term business model but the **AA's DO just that. ( don't get me started on DRM in video games )

I have been reading and studying this for about 5 years now on another very informative site if you want to know what it is U2U me and I'll tell you. (no requirement to sign up for anything)

Legacy players want to turn the clock back to 1979, and use laws to make it so.

imagine what it was like back in 1979, do we REALLY want to go back to the DISCO era??
edit on 10-4-2013 by thedigirati because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
payola used to be illegal
a famous DJ, Allan Freed did time for accepting bribes from record companies to play specific tunes back in the late 50s.
now payola is LEGAL and the record companies and government (see Romney's conection to clearchannel , the biggest radio, and concertvenue owner in the US), and whoever else can pay to get played...

so much for art for arts sake

its not about artistic integrity...its about everything but

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Oh, did I forget to mention Homeland security can use piracy as the excuse to search and /or confiscate whoever they want's computer

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Everytime this whole "piracy" issue comes up, I give my opinion as follows.

DID YOU KNOW? That Star Wars (and all the spinoffs) never made a dime ? Or that Lord Of the Rings (the Movie trilogy) never made a dime either? That is what "Hollywood" claims when refusing royalties to the Actors. Using creative calculations they can make the numbers say anything thy desire.

DID YOU KNOW? Hollywood was started by Pirates? Back in the begining of the 20th century the Movie Vamera was a Copyriten device that BY LAW Film makers would have to pay Royalties to the maker- Well, the Fox brothers (Yes, THAT FOX as in 20th Century FOX and FOX News) didnt want to pay and so they moved to the still wild west of California to avoid the Law.

-Now, onto "Pirates" spending more money on average? YES. I have no clue about Movies (barely watch them) but take comic books/ebooks and music... I used to spend maybe $25/month on comics and books and music- Trying a comic book title is very expensive since for around $3.50 you buy 1 issue (28 pages)- Meaning its a risk to go pick up a ton of unknown titles- Enter PIRACY. I can now browse around a biyt and as a result now spend $50.00/month on COMIC BOOKS ALONE via subscription. Books I never would have risked $3.50 on in the first place.

-Same with Books. I buy more books now that I KNOW something is good. I search out hardcovers of books for my bookshelf- Books that I first read by...gasp...Pirated means. I used tto visit a used book store (publisher/writer got nothing for my second hand purchases) and bought paperbacks at .75 each... Now I buy hardcovers (of things I know I like) and the Publisher/Writer IS getting something from me since its done on Amazon.

-Music. I never have purchased much, nor do I now- Even in the 1980s we Pirated tapes with our tape decks, lol. But Bands I like (which I never would have heard of) I support in OTHER WAYS- Like Concerts (I attend about 3-4/year maybe), T-Shirts and other memorabilia and even simply playing their songs on the Local Bars JukeBok (at .50 a play)

-I am an unashamed "Pirate"- Tired of being ripped off by sub par products, albums with 1 good song , etc, etc.
And frankly- I really could care less what anyone things.
VPN FTW Baby

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benzer
It is not piracy to go into a library and check out a book, movie or music. And other than the library buying whatever copies it has to check out, nobody got paid one thin dime more for every check out of this material. No library has ever been charged with anything illegal. In all honesty using a library is no different from downloading and watching, listening or reading something on line. And most artists or authors would be thrilled to have a library make there creations available.

Hard core truth right there, good post.

And proof that the whole "intellectual property" debate has become a debacle and a sham.

That's why I am forced to give up the idea - concept of "intellectual property".

You know what though? Sad reality is that society would rather let the Library tradition fall to ashes than to dare threaten the profits of our corporate masters.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
So this is just talking about small time users (me/you) or large scale (market stalls) as well?
edit on 11-4-2013 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join