It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Am A Vegetarian

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This is not written as an insult to anyone. These are my feelings that I wanted to share. Thank You for reading.

I became a vegetarian three years ago because I had an epiphany one day and realized that nothing has to suffer in order for me to eat. I grew up on a farm and have first hand knowledge of raising animals for the purpose of butchering them for the purpose of eating them.

It wasn't until my middle adult years that I truly discovered the meaning of suffering. I have always owned pets and I now that there is nothing like the unconditional love of a pet. Our pets respond to moods just as we do. Our pets are capable of happiness and sadness just as we are.

We, as humans, know the feeling of fear. So do animals. We use our eyes to see and mouths to eat and drink just as animals do. Animals respond to pain and fear just as we do.

The things that animals endure and are subjected to for the purpose of the human appetite is much too long to list.

I can not imagine the fear, sadness and depression that the factory animals must be feeling as they are grown for the purposes of food.

I will personally never return to eating meat because I never want the cells of a suffering animal that is deprived of happiness to be a part of me again.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Better hope you don't get stranded in the mountains during a snow storm for a couple weeks, with just your dog and a family member. You will go against everything you just said.
edit on 10-4-2013 by retirednature because: (no reason given)

For argument's sake, make it a month stranded. Thinking Donner Party style here.
edit on 10-4-2013 by retirednature because: additional statement

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I agree with you sympathetically/empathy-wise.

But humans have been eating meat for so long. It's rather tasty and nutritious.

I personally look forward to the day we can easily grow replacement human organs, for obvious reasons. As a plus, it should then be easy for us to also grow things we like to eat right on the spit, for ex., a chunk of steak or a chicken leg.

Then everyone and every living thing wins.
edit on 4/10/2013 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

Actually, I wouldn't. My morals for the love that is given me in my life would never allow me to turn against the dog that loves me unconditionally.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinder

Actually, I wouldn't. My morals for the love that is given me in my life would never allow me to turn against the dog that loves me unconditionally.

Said the guy who then got eaten by his dog. "No sparky no!"

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by retirednature
Better hope you don't get stranded in the mountains during a snow storm for a couple weeks, with just your dog and a family member. You will go against everything you just said.

Rofl, what are you going to do, eat raw dog meat? You think your body can digest that? Good luck.

Provided you are surrounded by snow, you can survive without food for more than a few weeks. Water, not so much, but food is no problem. It won't be comfortable, but if a famine bloated child in Africa can do it, so can you!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Humans are a part of nature, not separate from it.

The only difference between a lion taking a gazelle and Me eating a steak is that Humans have much more processing power so that they can actually take the time to agonize over the choice of what they eat.

The funny thing is its postulated that the addition of meat (via fire and preservation) is what lead to Humans even having the capacity to ponder those "humane" thoughts you have on meat, that extra protein jump started human cognitive thought.

Barring that, I will give you the fact that Corporations taking over farms have led to crazy amounts of abuse of animals (as with anything a corporation takes over) and that the modern westerner diet simply contains TOO much meat.

Meat is apart of the human diet for a reason, we have just gotten to the point where GETTING the meat is far to easy and leads to excess .

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
And lets not bring up the loads of antibiotics and growth hormones that are in meat….that's reason enough to stop eating the stuff!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Couldn't it also be said that the evolution of man that separates us from the beast (lion in your example) is the fact that such brutality toward other creatures can now be deemed unnecessary for our survival?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

Our bodies, like other apes, are designed to digest fruit, berries, leaves, etc, and the occasional flesh. If you look at our physiology, we have more herbivore leanings than carnivore from our teeth to our intestines. Granted we can digest meat, it's really meant to be a delicacy in our diets.

We are evolving, however, so future generations of humans may see shortened intestines. Our teeth should stay relatively similar granted we cook our food before we eat it, though.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Yeah?

What happens when the person that you're with begs you to eat the dog?

What happens when the person then tries to kill the dog, so him/her can eat?

Are you going to prevent this?

Tell that to the Donner Party, o wait... nobody had a chance to. But you're right, there's NO WAY you'd ever eat meat to save your life.

But the worst part about it... Because you're such a vegetarian, eating the meat will probably kill you anyways. Where did self-preservation go? So I guess this conversation is pointless...

Things tend to revert to innate qualities when you're alone and have to survive. Are we not omnivores?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFinder

Sure, by cutting out the very thing that got us to that point.

But don't worry, the current model of food for Westerners is not sustainable long term with population growth.

We will all one day be forced to eat protein paste flavored with artificial chemicals, Beef will be a luxury item sooner than later.

OF course thats all from an economic stand point and not moral.

Frankly Humans are apart of nature, and ignoring that is part of the overall problem with humanity.

Hubris to think we are above natural motivators and selection (like you say, above the cruelty).

Its hubris.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Originally posted by retirednature

Rofl, what are you going to do, eat raw dog meat? You think your body can digest that? Good luck.

Provided you are surrounded by snow, you can survive without food for more than a few weeks. Water, not so much, but food is no problem. It won't be comfortable, but if a famine bloated child in Africa can do it, so can you!

Lets make it a Month

Yes I'll eat raw dog meat... even better if there's a fire. I wouldn't pig out, I would ration it... and start as small as a bite once day. Hopefully it's a big dog.

Maybe it's just me. But I can assure you that dog is as good as dead by day 20 if there's no signs of help.

Cmon Who's seen Star Wars? I will cut a camel in half and crawl inside it to save myself from a deadly cold storm.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Definitely not a pointless conversation. I would hope that your addition to the thread brings as many thoughts and ideas as my own reason for starting it.

Welcome.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

You can make as many scenarios as you like to prove your point.

Here's a scenario, would you eat your own feces if there was no dog because you know for a fact that you ate a burger two weeks ago? Or would you eat tree bark in hopes it had nutritional value?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

You can make as many scenarios as you like to prove your point.

Here's a scenario, would you eat your own feces if there was no dog because you know for a fact that you ate a burger two weeks ago? Or would you eat tree bark in hopes it had nutritional value?

That's what the Donners did, then... the bark wasn't enough. I think what a lot of people don't understand is the physiological aspect to this. Yes, I'd do pretty much everything before killing the dog, but yeah... again, so did the Donners. But that dog is gone sooner or later if I don't get my necessary sustenance.

I'd probably cry like a baby doing it.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

And YOU would....?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The animals do not need to know fear or pain. I am strongly against factory farming practices, but I still eat meat. I just buy from local ranches that are humane kill only that are grass fed, free range and antibiotic free.
In case you didn't know there is a taste difference between animals that an adrenalin spike in there system at death and those that didn't.

Instead of going vegetarian, why don't you go humane kill only? Supporting ranchers that use humane practices is going to do more to help fight factory farming than going vegetarian.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

And YOU would....?

You just want me to say I'd eat my own feces lol!

I'd say there's a high percentage. But I'm on the fence with that one. not sure...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

It's still about the loss of life for my appetite "thing". Nothing has to die for me to eat, and gain weight, I must add. Apparently microbrew beer has superior life sustaining qualities.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join