It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is My Computer the cause of ddos?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
It's happened more than once.
Last night I started a thread to which ATS and the link to the site I was using went down.

I did another thread tonight,and the link went bad,even though I could access it outside of ATS.
Things started going wanky when I ventured into unknown territory.

I am running AVG anti-virus and everything shows up clean.

I'm running windows 8 hardwired to the router since the wireless adapter took a crap.
Which,BTW,was brand new.

The unknown territory was warez,which it went down for a few days also.

If so,what can I do about it?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Well if you are admitting something .................. well. Depends on where you are but good ISP should be able to detect those sort of packets and mass emailing and should block your IP. Depends. Here in Australia you get shut down pretty quickly. Could be you but most likely not. Even if it was I would not rely on on something like virus protection to stop or find it. you are dealing with minds who can fool that sort of stuff.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

I was letting my conspiracy mind wonder if there is a connection.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Your computer can't be the source of a DDOS, I'm pretty sure you don't have the bandwidth for something like a that (and a DDOS uses a whole bunch of computers for the attack). Are u using IE10? IE10 isn't the most compatible browser at the moment. I'm seeing lot's of problems with that browser.
edit on 10-4-2013 by warlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It would be hard to take down a site with one computer but hackers do use many infected machines as zombies to perform a DDoS attack.

It happened to me one time about 13 years ago. My ISP shut down my net connection and then rang me up and said that my computer had been firing out 1000's of pings to one address. After investigation i found i had a whole bunch of trojans and other nasty unwanted software hiding out on my drive. I did a total re-install of the system and it never happened again.

join