It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Title says: Raped Girl Sues Town That Hired Cop (Courthouse news article)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
www.courthousenews.com...

A small-town North Carolina cop raped a 13-year-old girl while on duty, and the town hired him without any psychological screening after he had raped an 11-year-old, the teenager claims in court. Guardian ad litem James W. McGee Jr. sued the Town of Navassa, its Mayor Eulis A. Willis, the Navassa Police Department and former Police Chief Copelen L. Taylor, in state court. Former Officer Jaymin Lenwood Murphy was sentenced in December 2010 to 41 years in prison for sexual offenses against the two girls mentioned in this complaint, according to the Wilmington Star News. In a plea deal, the sentencing judge dismissed three counts of rape and two counts of indecent liberties with a minor, the Star News reported.

You would think with all the back ground checks for anyone with a gun they would have vetted someone who is a cop. Friends in high places even works in N.C.

The girl says that Murphy "threatened her mother and herself with jail" so she "was too terrified and traumatized by her rape to report it to anyone." She felt safe enough to do so only after she "saw the news report of the arrest of Officer Murphy for another sexual assault of an earlier victim(s) (his aforementioned ex-girlfriend's daughter)," according to the complaint. (Parentheses in complaint.)

The good news is he did not get paid time off but is in jail for 41 years (probably less) and with luck some hairy legged guy is calling him "Little Darlen" as he reflects upon his sorry life.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I hope that during his 41 year incarceration that his cell mate "Butch" finds his company to be "quite delightful"!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It's stories like this that make me happy that I didn't get a "daddys little princess" because if anything like this would have happened to my daughter... I would make sure it wasn't a pretty sight.

And what's up with this cop getting hired anyways? Are police forces soo hard up for officers that they decreased the quality of candidates that they will consider for hire? Or was he simply hired to fill a quota? I know a few people that would make great cops and they can't land a job and this dude gets hired.
edit on 9-4-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
does anyone know if there is a screening process for pedophiles?
I also question how vigorous their screening or profiling process is for policing . With all the stuff I have seen with police in the news here and down there in america is it is getting more thugish and with a massive protect our own policy . Not really sure it it was the town responsibility unless he had a prior conviction they knew of .

However hopefully this pig will get what deserves in jail but I am sure he will be in a very minimum security in his own room not with all the hardened criminals he wouldn't last 2 seconds in a general population block. or maybe they should consider cutting the penises of rapist and pedophiles

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Totally an "Abuse of Power" besides being a dirt bag. Once upon a time in America the police were looked up to as someone you could trust to do what was right.

These last few years with some of the bad apples being exposed I feel sorry for the good cops.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Well I hate to break the news to some of you, but he is not having any troubles with any cell mates. As a sex offender AND a former Police Officer, I can promise you this man is in protective custody, enjoying a cell all to himself and separated from anyone who would want to harm him.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This poor girl will be haunted by this for the rest of her life.

Nothing done to this "cop" can ever remove this horror from her so my heart goes out to her, and her family.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

yeah but he will be occasionally with other inmates in PC,meals yard time(also PC) and from what i remember of prison code any one who knows an inmate is a "short eyes" and does nothing to harm him is often viewed as guilty if not more so then the inmate in question.....and im sure some of the guards have daughters and might look the other way at an inconvenient time,while using rape(in this case molestation) to combat rape in my opinion just makes the whole problem worse but i wont shed any tears if he catches a beat down

abcnews.go.com...

In prison, fellow inmates derisively call pedophiles "chesters," "tree jumpers" and "short eyes." Prison can be a menacing place for child molesters like the former Roman Catholic priest John Geoghan, who was killed in his cell Saturday — or for other alleged pedophile priests working their way through the criminal justice system. "If you take out a sex offender like this former priest in Massachusetts, maybe the person who took him out thought he'd make a name of himself," said Margot Bach, a spokeswoman for California Department of Corrections. "Taking [a pedophile] out would gain [the killer] a lot more respect among the other inmates."

en.wikipedia.org... for information purposes on what is PC

www.truecrimereport.com... this individual well his time in jail didnt end so well for him

At 10 a.m. Saturday morning, guards found him awash in blood in his cell. Police believe that two inmates, Nathan Mann and Michael Parr, attacked him with makeshift weapons consisting of razor blades melted into toothbrush handles. Detectives say Harrison wasn't just murdered; he was disemboweled and likely bled to death.

www.huffingtonpost.com... what sandusky can expect in jail

scaredmonkeys.com... rjacking-beaten-in-jail/ and and example of how gaurds can sometimes "make mistakes" and have inmates end up in places they should not be......

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
does anyone know if there is a screening process for pedophiles?

There seems to be 2 of them - enter politics or enter the priesthood.

What a sad story these girls tell, how will they ever be able to trust a man again.
As for the cop forget him, let him gather dust while reflecting on why he's in there.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

and comments like this are why i switched to a water proof keyboard as i literally just spit out my soda laughing at your post! id give you a thousand stars if i could

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

You linked articles about a priest who was in general population to prove your point about protective custody details?

First off, they are two different things.

Secondly, former Police Officers get a whole separate treatment in prison. They are never placed with inmates, ever. It is too dangerous. They do not eat meals with the general population. They are not given "yard time" with the general population. Your average child molester, yes. Even in protective custody will be mixed with the general population from time to time. A former cop? NEVER.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

again my point was that EVEN in protective custody they have to interact with other inmates who are also in protective custody
not if they find out who he is before he gets to PC
articles.latimes.com...

Several months into his term, Smith was confronted in the prison yard by an inmate who recognized him as a former officer, Chuck said. "He denied he was" a former officer, the lawyer said. "It was very scary because there were other people in the yard listening to this confrontation. "About the worst thing you can be in prison other than a child molester is an ex-cop," he said. "He lives in constant fear that he will meet someone in prison who will recognize him." Authorities moved Smith to another facility after the prison yard confrontation.
so some times they are found out just not always shanked

In the inmate pecking order in jails and prisons, former cops rank near the bottom, just above child molesters and rapists, authorities say. State officials say they do not keep track of how many former law enforcement officers make their way into California's prison system. Convicted cops usually are placed in the general prison population, but their law enforcement backgrounds are kept secret, state Department of Corrections spokesman Mike Van Winkle said. If it becomes necessary, they may be moved to other prisons or into a protective custody unit at the state prison in Soledad
see that usually placed in gen pop until some one confronts them stupidly and neglects to shank them on site.

and why it isnt this way in every state in baltimore(where the warden has brass ones and didn't give these bastards special treatment) these fifteen cops were tossed into gen pop articles.baltimoresun.com...

Police officers convicted of a crime in Maryland and sentenced to state prison are typically housed in segregated areas for their safety, far from most other inmates. But those prosecuted in U.S. District Court and sent to federal prison — like the 15 Baltimore officers recently convicted in a kickback scheme — will, for the most part, be thrown in with the rest of the convicts. "Whether [inmates are] high profile, law enforcement, whatever the case may be, we aim to treat them like anybody else," said Chris Burke, a spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
so if they end up in fed prison they get thrown to the wolves as a policy until their is a threat and some times not even then.....
en.wikipedia.org...
and riots do happen and some times cops screw up and leave their keys behind like in this case where the prisoners gained access to the PC yard during the riots

Meanwhile the rioters began taunting prison officials over the radio about what they were going to do to the men in cell block 4. But no action was taken. One official was heard to remark about the men in the segregation facility, "it's their a**".[1] As dawn broke, an 'execution squad' finally cut through the grille and entered the block. The security panel controlling the cell doors was burned off. Victims were pulled from their cells to be tortured, dismembered, decapitated, or burned alive.
so protective custody is not always infallible its an incredibly hard search term to use on google as most of the results are for killers of cops or corrections officers i did find sever "suspicious cases" of officers who "died" in jail (one of them in the showers who was a rapist of children 11 counts) it seems to me that if the inmates manage to get one of the former cops shanked that prison officials would do all they could to cover it up so im not surprised they ruled it a natural death in that case
either way they get locked in a cell for 23 hours of the day and have less privileges.

new topics

top topics

join