It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another sinkhole, this time in Portugal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
They are saying this one is 100 m deep (it doesn`t look like though)

There are some photos and a video but it`s in a Portuguese website...

PICTURES

VIDEO
edit on 9-4-2013 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

Hmmm, these things are appearing everywhere. I don't know much about them or how regular they have been happening in the past, but there seems to be a lot more attention being paid to them recently. I find it amazing that they are occuring all over the World, regardless of the types of soil.

I'm sure there is an expert on this topic who will pop along any moment and enlighten us to the reasons why they seem to be occuring on a more regular basis.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

It`s true this year we had a lot more rain than usual and this is a region where limestone is predominant but the fact is this is a very big hole !!!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

100 metres is very deep. The photo's and video are quite deceiving, but you can make out deeper crevices.

Let's hope no more develop in the area.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
So what I would like to know is WHY people are standing right ont the edge??

Talk about tempting fate!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Yeah, also noticed that ! .....Crazy, silly people they must be

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Heres a copy of the video on youtube.

The hole is pretty deep, you can see a man pulling something out of the hole (tape measure?)

Lucky it was in the middle of what looks like to be a field

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

That`s right, they are measuring it.

Very true, just imagine this was at a residential area like the landslide that happened also here in Portugal last week...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
reply to post by AQ6666

Hmmm, these things are appearing everywhere. I don't know much about them or how regular they have been happening in the past, but there seems to be a lot more attention being paid to them recently. I find it amazing that they are occuring all over the World, regardless of the types of soil.

I'm sure there is an expert on this topic who will pop along any moment and enlighten us to the reasons why they seem to be occuring on a more regular basis.

Or, enlighten us to why they are not happening more often and it's only because there is better news coverage, social media sites, etc.....blah, blah, blah. Yeah, and I got a bridge for sale!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
their are so many sinkholes going on everywhere I keep thinking everywhere we live there's a possibility of just getting swallowed by the ground
100m is a deep sinkhole..

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Global warming causing a lot more extreme rainfall events is behind it I reckon. Same reason there have been a record number of landslips here in the UK. The earth is just absolutely saturated.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
One happened here in southern illinois like last week..(not the one at the golf course..that was different)
This opened up on a farm on Route 37..They filled it with concrete..and acted like it was no big deal. I just heard about it a few days ago. I think it's opening up more though..?? I will try to keep up with the story.

The Southern Illinoisian Newspaper

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

Just to relate link's for the same event:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Galactus is coming...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

I think it's a mixture of things... weather is a predominant factor, with more rain fall creating these voids and exacerbating their collapse. But media also plays a part. As more and more people become citizen journalists and start sharing on the net, reporting increases. And, as there's more reporting, there's increased interest... it's like a cycle feeding itself. It could be that these things have been happening every week all over the world for centuries, only now it becomes global news rather than local legend in the village.

Either way, it's interesting to see!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Painterz
Global warming causing a lot more extreme rainfall events is behind it I reckon. Same reason there have been a record number of landslips here in the UK. The earth is just absolutely saturated.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ok im going to ask a question.. and i hope someone can tell me. Because i've often wondered...

IS there and official (and note worthy) increase in events like this (MAJOR earth changes. Die offs, earthquakes and sinkholes) or is it just because we are looking for and reporting on more of them?

I saw some earthquake statistics a while back that showed quite a large rise.. but sinkholes etc.. i haven't seen any stats to suggest a rise.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
here in Portugal it has not stopped raining since October,

in fact it has been the wettest winter for over 80 years. and its still raining now .....

snoopyuk

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
lots of this kind of thing lately. maybe the earth's crust is flexing in the early interactions with the gravitational influence of an approaching celestial object. or not.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Sinkholes are common, they are just over reported now. Anywhere where you have limestone you get sinkholes. There are whole forests underground in Mexico that are essentially big Sink Holes.

I don't think there is anything connected or nefarious with these sink hole reports increasing.

In some parts of the USA you are required to have sinkhole insurance since they are so common.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join