It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bitcoin on TV: Alicia tries to find programmer responsible for ILLEGAL online currency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Before we get started, I am putting together a big thread on Bitcoin (in research stages) and came across this TV 'program' that vilifies Bitcoins.

At the time of this writing the price of 1 Bitcoin is $239 dollars!

Getting Started

"The Good Wife" is a US tv program that must be getting their scripts right out of ATS & other online chatter.

The very next episode according to CBS is called

The Good Wife - Rape: A Modern Perspective

and the description is

As Alicia represents a girl who accuses a classmate of rape, the case takes on a life of its own when the hacker group "Anonymous" takes notice and brings the trial into the public eye via the Internet.

Pretty original the show's creators are

The Bitcoin show is called

Bitcoin For Dummies: ­

With the descriptions as

Alicia and Lockhart/Gardner face off against the US Treasury Department once again, this time aiding Dylan Stack, a lawyer who represents the creator of Bitcoin - an online currency with mysterious origins. Alicia’s client is being pressured to reveal the name of the anonymous Bitcoin creator so that the government can prosecute him for creating what they believe to be a currency in direct competition with the US Dollar.

But when the judge rules that attorney/client privilege prevents Stack from having to reveal the name of his client, the Treasury Department changes tactics and decides to prosecute Stack himself as the creator of Bitcoin.

Wendy Scott-Carr’s investigation into Will continues. When Dana Lodge discovers some damning information that could send Alicia to prison, she approaches Kalinda with an ultimatum: help the SA’s office prosecute Will, or they’ll go after Alicia

According to the FBI, any individuals who create private coin on currency systems are in violation of the federal law. The Treasury Department was never really after Mr. Stack. They just wanted his information to take down the real Mr. Bitcoin.

What do you think about Bitcoins starting to be vilified in TV shows?
edit on 9-4-2013 by YapTalk because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2013 by YapTalk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by YapTalk

Read back through some of those Bitcoin threads and come back and thank me if you listened to me!!

I called this from the get-go........You CANNOT create a currency to rival the USD.....It is illegal, and once again I AM RIGHT.....Bitcoin lovers are wrong.....

You can thank me if my post helped you to not invest in this illegal system.....

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Bitcoins have no real value other than what people give them the same as every currency in mmorpgs, since they'll give real currency for gold is the same as buying BC's and the same really is cashing out your BC's

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I could not buy a Ducati with Bitcoins. Therefore Bitcoins are fake currency.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by YapTalk

Read back through some of those Bitcoin threads and come back and thank me if you listened to me!!

I called this from the get-go........You CANNOT create a currency to rival the USD.....It is illegal, and once again I AM RIGHT.....Bitcoin lovers are wrong.....

You can thank me if my post helped you to not invest in this illegal system.....

Seems like a bold statement. You'll have to explain how folks who have created local currencies aren't arrested, including the small townships etc.

You'll also have to explain how Bitcoin is a currency as there is no Debt Created by it.

The Federal Reserve Currency system is an IOU system, were debt notes are created out of thin air. While they have a monopoly on that system simply by killing people who disagree with them- Iran, NK you're next, they do not have a monopoly on human exchange. A Bitcoin, while digital, is a "thing" and NOT a debt instrument which is the Fed's domain - for now.

So there is no "competition" here, and there is no one in charge of it either, so you can outlaw the "use" but you'd be hard pressed to justify this by any other method then gun-to-the-head followed by "because we say so."

Bitcoin is not a currency in an of itself, it is a thing which people could use for an escrow account for exchange, but it is not a Federal Reserve Note IOU, as the transaction done by two folks with it is complete upon both parties agreeing so. You bought a Diet Coke today with a Fed Dollar, you still owe the store "money," the dollar you gave them told them you'd pay them later when you had real money.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

IT IS ILLEGAL!!! No explanation needed.....But here you can read about another man who tried and it didn't go so well for him either...

STATESVILLE, NC—Bernard von NotHaus, 67, was convicted today by a federal jury of making, possessing, and selling his own coins, announced Anne M. Tompkins, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina. Following an eight-day trial and less than two hours of deliberation, von NotHaus, the founder and monetary architect of a currency known as the Liberty Dollar, was found guilty by a jury in Statesville, North Carolina, of making coins resembling and similar to United States coins; of issuing, passing, selling, and possessing Liberty Dollar coins; of issuing and passing Liberty Dollar coins intended for use as current money; and of conspiracy against the United States
Read more at investmentwatchblog.com...

Read more here..... investmentwatchblog.com...

You are not legally allowed to create a currency that rivals the US Dollar if you are a citizen of the USA.....If you purchase money (or Bitcoins) outside of the USA, they will not EVER be allowed to be used as currency in the USA because IT RIVALS THE USD.....Which is Illegal

You would first need to convert the Bitcoins at a currency exchange into USD before purchasing anything in the USA.....Do you understand?

There is absolutely NO way to spend bitcoins on items in the USA.....You need to cash them in first, which if Bitcoin wants to open up at the local currency exchange can be possible, then you have to sell them there and get USD's for them.....

This will never happen, Bitcoin wants to avoid USD.....Which somehow they are willing to take your USD to purchase them...
.......This doesn't immediately call out scam to you?? If not, good luck "investing" in illegal currency and something that will be worthless soon enough...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The Liberty Dollar was wrong because it was COINS. This is strictly stated as illegal. Paper bills however are legal and that's how lots of local currencies do it - But they are also bought for US dollars, making them little more than coupons or tokens that represent real money. This is what a Bitcoin is.. a token that represents real money. It is not real money itself because there is nothing to back it. No matter if it's US dollars or Yen, unless the Bitcoin has something to back it other than real money, it is not a real currency.

There are laws that state though I can't find them now.. perhaps someone else will know - that a US citizen cannot create any currency that competes with the US dollar on a national or global basis. This is why the local currencies are still o.k... because they do not pose a threat to the dollar ( and they are purchased with dollars). The Bitcoin on the other hand if it gets big enough can be a real threat to the US dollar and at that point, I believe the Government will do something.

People can fuss at me all they want and say,"But it is real because you can exchange it for dollars at the currency exchange" No, your misled, your not exchanging it for anything, your buying it - Big difference. It's not like you need some Yen because you are going to Japan and want to trade out some Dollars for Yen. Yen has something that backs it - as does the US dollar. It looks the same but it's not. They are both recognized as legal currencies in all major countries. Bitcoins are not. All the Bitcoin lovers are getting fooled big time.

Just last week the Bitcoin was hitting a very large 100 dollar price tag. At 250 and more, this bubble will bust soon. I cant see people dumping real money into this sinking ship.

edit on 10-4-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

reply to post by YapTalk

Wrong!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
I could not buy a Ducati with Bitcoins. Therefore Bitcoins are fake currency.

But you CAN buy a Posche for 300 bitcoins

Porsche Sells For 300 Bitcoins In Latest Sign The Virtual Currency Is Going Kablooey

An Austin family bragged Tuesday night that it had sold a 2007 Porsche Cayman S for 300 bitcoins, a virtual currency that has long been little more than a curiosity for financial reporters but is suddenly breaking into the broader consciousness, maybe just in time for the whole thing to go kablooey.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

reply to post by crankyoldman

IT IS ILLEGAL!!! No explanation needed.....

Can you please direct me to the law that says that Bitcoins are illegal in the USA?

But here you can read about another man who tried and it didn't go so well for him either...

STATESVILLE, NC—Bernard von NotHaus, 67, was convicted today by a federal jury of making, possessing, and selling his own coins, announced Anne M. Tompkins, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina. Following an eight-day trial and less than two hours of deliberation, von NotHaus, the founder and monetary architect of a currency known as the Liberty Dollar, was found guilty by a jury in Statesville, North Carolina, of making coins resembling and similar to United States coins; of issuing, passing, selling, and possessing Liberty Dollar coins; of issuing and passing Liberty Dollar coins intended for use as current money; and of conspiracy against the United States
Read more at investmentwatchblog.com...

Read more here..... investmentwatchblog.com...

He was creating silver coins which is not a virtual currency.... fail!

You are not legally allowed to create a currency that rivals the US Dollar if you are a citizen of the USA

Once again, please direct me to said law in the books.

If you purchase money (or Bitcoins) outside of the USA, they will not EVER be allowed to be used as currency in the USA because IT RIVALS THE USD.....Which is Illegal

Explain these news reports about alternate currencies running in the USA RIGHT NOW.

Notice how the first news report says that "it is perfectly legal".

You would first need to convert the Bitcoins at a currency exchange into USD before purchasing anything in the USA.....Do you understand?

Nope. Ton of places including Wordpress.com (USA company) accept Bitcoins.

Here are a TON of USA companies that accept bitcoins

There is absolutely NO way to spend bitcoins on items in the USA.....You need to cash them in first, which if Bitcoin wants to open up at the local currency exchange can be possible, then you have to sell them there and get USD's for them.....

Nope, see above. Also explain how this family sold a porche for 300 Bitcoins in Texas.

This will never happen, Bitcoin wants to avoid USD.....Which somehow they are willing to take your USD to purchase them...
.......This doesn't immediately call out scam to you?? If not, good luck "investing" in illegal currency and something that will be worthless soon enough...

Bitcoin itself does not accept USD nor any other currency, SPECULATORS are the ones trading Bitcoins for other currencies.

In short, please educate yourself.

edit on 10-4-2013 by YapTalk because: (no reason given)

top topics

join