It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm suffering from mental health problems and constantly get denied help. Something needs to be don

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracula
You know with the way that you are writing I don't think you are depressed.

I am not talking about depression I"m talking about bi polar manic depression, they are two different disorders. I am having what one would call a manic episode.

Bored.

Being on basic bed rest while pregnant yes can make you bored but I keep busy making stuff for the baby's room. So it's not boredom.

Maybe in pain over something.

Yes I'm in pain definitely. Emotionally and physically.

But depressing is debilitating to the point that people often don't put together coherent paragraphs.

Not true. Again I am talking about bi polar manic depression. When you have bi polar manic depression. You have highs and lows, those highs are usually referred to as "manic episodes."

However, ATS is the last place you need to hunt down medical treatment.

Who said I was hunting down medical treatment on ATS.. I am sharing my story that is it. I welcome suggestions since it seems I just get turned away locally for help and my doctor just dismisses it as normal hormones when it is clearly not. I have had many people help me on ATS over the years and I welcome their suggestions. Talking it out does help and that is what I'm doing here.

If you are in crisis. They have to treat you as far as I know.

I have the ER to go to for that if need be. If i feel I am at that point I will go, believe me. I've done it in the past and I will do it if it comes to that. I was close today but thanks to a few good friends I was able to calm down.

If you have never dealt with bi polar/manic depression you just can't understand how it makes you feel. YOu just don't think right and you just go off the deep end so to speak emotionally. I pulled over in a grocery store parking lot today to cry because I was just so frustrated trying to find a doctor. I dont' like feeling like this at all and I want help.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Absolute best wishes for you from me.
If your condition is in the chemical make-up of your brain, what would you expect a therapist to do or say? I ask this because just by your clear writing we can all tell that you are intelligent.

Thank you

After dealing with this years ago I have learned the signs and before it gets out of control and to the point meds are needed talking to someone does help. I am also pregnant so NO meds. When I got off my meds yrs ago I saw a doctor or psych doc for a few months after and it really helped. The meds worked but I didn't like what they were doing to me. I was a zombie basically and I couldn't function. I took them til I felt like I was getting back to my old self and then asked to be weened off them and talk to someone. One can be intelligent and have mental health issues at the same time.
I am very well away of my condition and I don't deny it nor am I ashamed of it. So many are and don't like to admit or discuss it. I however choose to discuss it because for me it really does help.

You know that your depression is just a chemical imbalance. What do you need to do when you get this way? What do you need to hear from others? Just say it and we will oblige.

Well it's been years since I felt this way and I don't even feel like i did back then but it seems like it gets worse. I do know my hormones are out of whack right now and that isn't helping. Believe it or not the suggestions and support here has helped me a lot today. I don't get that here not with any docs where I am at so far. I do have some numbers to call tomorrow thanks to some links members have given.

As I have said it can be very frustrating when you are clearly asking for help before you completely spiral out of control only to have that help turn you away. I know I need to be stress free for my baby and by god I'm trying and it would be nice to find some doctor or therapist who will listen. I have been looking for weeks and well today was just a bad day all around with doctors in general for me.

Please don't focus on your depression. It just makes it worse when we ruminate on how the world sucks and life just isn't worth it. When I'm down (and I can really get down) I just accept that I am not in people mood, and I don't want to laugh at anything. So, I watch movies and eat ice cream - and I make sure I enjoy the hell out of it. I don't care if the people around me have problems or not, because it has to be ME TIME! Their problems will either fix themselves or wait until I can handle them. Sooner or later, the depression will break.

That can help but again this isn't just depression. Bi polar manic depression is different. I do try and get out and do things but with my limited mobility that does make it a little more depressing so to speak. I have no family around me and my friends dont live here either. My fiancee is overseas so that makes one a little depressed esp while pregnant. I am not working and when i did that helped a lot because it was a way to get out and do something and not be stuck in the house. I have a dog who is such a sweetie and he has been helpful in making me feel better by just being sweet and affectionate. I think he can tell when I'm down or having a moment. Everyone deals with it differently and for some that "me" time works but for me all I have is "me" time. I just want to talk to a therapist. I have other things I want to discuss in my life that I feel would help if I had someone to talk to.

I will at your suggestion sit here tonight and enjoy take out from my favorite Italian restaurant, some chocolate torte cake and Netflix. I do feel better than I did when I posted this thread and a lot of it is due to the nice things people have said. Sometimes just knowing you are not alone and crazy does help.

For this session, please send $120 dollars to JiggerJ, 100 What-do-I-know Lane, Bullship, Idano.

Will you take food as payment seeing as Im not working right now. I guarantee I can cook you anything! !

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh
First and foremost, I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with getting the types of services that you need.

However, please keep in mind that any substance that you put into your body will affect your body and this is especially true with medications for bi-polar disorder, which may be the reason behind why you are receiving what appears to be a "refusal" for doctors to treat you. You already know what types of side effects these drugs can have, and many of them are linked with abnormalities in babies born to mothers that are taking them.

Again I never said I wanted medication. I know medication isn't good while pregnant. I don't even like medication when I'm not pregnant.

The fact that you are reaching out to strangers, and on a website known for conspiracy related subjects, is, as far as I can see, a really desperate measure, and I hope that you will find the support that you need, or receive direction on other ways that you can make it through this very difficult time.

I don't see it as desperate tbh. I have been on ATS for 4 yrs and I always come here. I get a lot of support and suggestions esp from people who have been thru similar situations. I'd rather come here than FB. On ATS you reach a broader audience and many times that is helpful, for me at least it has been. I have received some good links already and have numbers ready to call in the morning.

Personally, I will extend my hand and do what I can....private message me if you like.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it

There are many theories about bi-polar disorder, depression and post traumatic disorder and how they originate. From your description it may not be that you have bi-polar disorder, as it is generally accepted that this disorder starts at a very young age. Seeing as you mentioned that it was "brought on" by a bad relationship, you may actually have post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and though related, how people overcome these mental health problems differs, and pharmaceuticals are not always the right or effective methods of treatment.

I thought of the PTSD thing too but it didn't fit. I may have always had some form of bi polar and it surfaced after the bad relationship. It can be triggered and it doesn't necessarily have to start out in childhood. I was in my early 20s when all this happened. I don't remember feeling like this as a kid but I was hyper as can be.
More importantly they certainly are not the only ones. Bi polar fit me to a T at the time.

Ever heard of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)? I've personally seen it be more effective in helping than pharmaceutics on a wide range of "mood disorders". It is a relatively new psychotherapy, and maybe instead of trying to find a doctor that will prescribe drugs for you, you should be looking for someone to direct you to this type of group, or some other form of therapy.

I never said I wanted a doctor to prescribe drugs to me!!!

NO I have not heard of this but i will be googling it.

Thanks again

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

OP: Please be careful with "herbal remedies" like St. Johns Wart. It can be an abortifacient in large enough doses, and -- while great for treating low level depression in some -- may make things worse for others.

Best wishes on your pregnancy and big hugs to you!

edit on 9-4-2013 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I did find this looking for specific help for your situation. This is diet related management, and the site recommends consultation with holistic or homeopathic docs........It's very general, common sense, really, but suggestions for different herbs and supplements is always good: But again, that worrk up said nothing about effecting pregnancy--so you would need to find a homeopathic to be your primary care physician.

Natural Herbal and Homeopathic Remedies

Should you wish to pursue a more natural approach to treatment there are various options that should be explored. Because Bipolar disorder generally requires conventional drug treatment, caution should be exercised when combining the two as there are certain natural remedies for Bipolar disorder which may be incompatible with the psychiatric drugs.

Natural remedies for bipolar disorder should feature calming herbs which are generally safe to use along with psychiatric drugs for Bipolar disorder include Passiflora incarnata and Lavender. Biochemic Tissue Salts such as Natrium sulphate, Kalium phosphate and Natrium phosphate can also be used as natural remedies for bipolar disorder since they have a calming and restorative effect on the nervous system and help to balance mood and prevent mood swings. Homeopathic remedies such as Tarentula and Hyoscyamus can also be very helpful and may safely be used together with psychiatric medication without adverse effect.
Consult a doctor, homeopath or naturopath for advice, especially when other chronic medications are also in use.

Foods for Controlling & Hindering Bipolar Disorder
Many people suffering from Bipolar disorder find it helpful to cut out certain foods from their diet. Excluding alcohol should be number one for individuals with Bipolar disorder due to risks of combining a psychotropic drug and alcohol together, also, alcohol is a depressant and can cause mood swings to spike.

Another food that can spike a mood swing is sugar; simple sugars like those found in desserts have been known to aggravate mood swings. Since moods swings are so common in those with Bipolar disorder, it is important to steer clear of the caffeinated drinks and foods like coffee, soda and chocolate. These may temporarily boost mood and energy, but they can result in mental fatigue (crash) later. Any type of crash in mood may send someone easily into a bout of depression. Food is necessary for the body in order to get the right amount of nutrients daily.

Eating a well-balanced meal with fruits, vegetables, some dairy, poultry and fish products, can help someone with Bipolar disorder manage mood swings and maintain a positive outlook.

www.nativeremedies.com...

This other link is what you should copy and take to your doctor bc it's a medical study describing the effects and difficulties of treatment for the disorder while pregnant.

Have you ever taken lithium? Or Depakote? Lithium has fewer risks than anythiing. But I would advise, as you said you didn't want drugs, there are natural treatments. Then after the baby is born, and you aren't nursing, try lithium and stick to the diet and herbal stuff as well.

Go to your phone book and the computer you posted on. Find homeopathic docs, and training facilities for counseling, where they offer sliding scale for payment. If your doctor recommends and refers, medicare or medicaid should cover it. Hang in there.
edit on 9-4-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Being pregnant there isn't any medications I know of that I would suggest seeking out - not even the natural and over the counter variety.

You're doing the one thing that you have at your disposal to do right now. You're talking about it! Having a support system is definitely very helpful with depression.

You know how to find me Mblah - here and elsewhere. I'm happy to talk any time, day or night! Buck up Mblah - you've got friends who care.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
is this your first child there is a lot of stress and anxiety in the preparation and delivery , your body is also in over drive and hormones are all over the place as I watched my wife go through pregnancy 2 times . There is a symptom called baby blues not sure if you are aware of it after delivery it is a depression some women have after baby .

I realize it is rough and difficult carrying a baby for 9 months best advise I can give you is wait for a few months after baby is here and give your body and mind some time adjust and get back to normal and go from there .

If you haven't heard of the baby blues I really suggest reading up on it to be prepared with your other half when he gets back

best of luck to you
edit on 9/4/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Miracula

I have suffered horrible Depression my entire life, and if you asked anyone I know how long I suffered it, they would barely be able to tell you that I have it. The only one that even comes close to knowing how bad it's been for me at times is my fiancee. You learn to hide it, and not let people know you have it. I've never once had a problem writing coherent paragraphs or sentences, or anything else. I tend to throw myself into things like researching things I like, or am interested in, or reading, or anything else I can do that occupies my mind to keep from going back to that place I lived for years.

I'm still far from over it, as there are days when I can barely get myself motivated to move, even though I have to. Or when I'm done with my driving shift, I'll lay in bed, and can't sleep, or just stare at the top bunk until I finally get so tired I have to fall asleep because I can't do anything else. It's a horrible disease that affects people differently, but most people I know that have it, have functioned well with it. It becomes like that comfortable coat that you love to wear. You get up in the morning and put it on, and muddle through another day, and try not to let people see how much you're hurting.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I do want to strongly caution you during pregnancy and knowing a great deal about which herbal supplements you may find recommended. For instance, pennyroyal is an abortifacient. In fact, in medieval times, some herbs were used for that purpose, as a way of birth control, so one must be very careful.

From your description this started to manifest in your early 20's, that is perfect timing, according to research. Just always remember it's a brain thing, and you can fight it, because it is chemical and hormonal. Your awareness of that and triggers for manic episodes will really help you.

I have seen many fight this with diet, exercise, awareness and therapy. I think groups in therapy may be good,, too. See if there is a support group of any kind in your area.
And many do care about you.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
First and foremost I want to share with you something that I was told by my doctor in both of my pregnancies. Herbal remedies are not recommended at all. Believe me when I say that she was not in any way a pill pusher and definitely was on the pro-side of herbal treatments but their effect on the baby (especially during early development) cannot be gauged and is not worth the risk.

But I completely understand your desire to make these feelings go away, and how much worse it makes you feel to know that the stress is not only harming you but could be harming your baby as well. Since you are already predisposed to depression it doesn't surprise me that the chemical imbalance has returned during your pregnancy and as much as I would love to tell you otherwise, it likely won't go away. I am sure as your body adjusts more the the hormonal changes the feelings will become less dire, then baby will come, and everything changes from there.

Seeking help at this stage, even if it is only reaching out through words to strangers who can hopefully understand, is the best solution to your problem right now. That, and eating nuts (YES. NUTS. All kinds of nuts have chemical properties in them that counteract depression and chemical changes in the body.) Yes, I know it feels like you are alone no matter how much you beg for help. I have been there. I understand that someday all you want to do is cry and wish the world would melt away, or be different, unable to understand why you are completely losing control. But PLEASE understand me when I say that it WILL get better.

I battled depression throughout most of my last trimester and chose to ignore the warning signs. Depression during pregnancy is a clear warning sign that you will likely suffer from post-partum (baby blues, as my husband freedomslave put it.) I suffered for months, there was points in time that I hated myself, hated my inability to take care of my children, hated every aspect of every second of life. This continued to the point where I was prescribed Zoloft but after filling the prescription I never once did take the pills. Why, because I knew that through it all,as horrible as it all felt, it was unfortunately normal. 5 months after baby now and I am slowly on the road to recovery, I won't say that I don't get angry/frustrated/over-whelmed/emotional still but I am able to weigh the differences in stress and know which things are worth the emotions and which are not.

One last thing I would like to say is, no matter how alone you are, you are not alone. If you need someone to be on the receiving end of your need to get your feelings off your chest, I will be there. As will many others.You can message me anytime and although I will not offer any solutions I will constantly let you know you are NOT ALONE. I have been there, many have been there, none of your fears or thoughts are stupid or irrational. Take a deep breath and know you can do this.

Sincerely, Someone who has been there too and has lived to see the sun finally rise over the depths of the darkest oceans.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh
First and foremost, I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with getting the types of services that you need.

However, please keep in mind that any substance that you put into your body will affect your body and this is especially true with medications for bi-polar disorder, which may be the reason behind why you are receiving what appears to be a "refusal" for doctors to treat you. You already know what types of side effects these drugs can have, and many of them are linked with abnormalities in babies born to mothers that are taking them.

Recently I had a friend who was pregnant who also suffers from bi-polar disorder. Her problems got so bad that she was put back on her meds. When her daughter was born (because she didn't start taking them again until she was about as far along as you are) they were worried that in the short time that her mother was on the medications that it damaged the child's kidneys. She was fortunate, but this is the reality of what these medications can do to a developing child while in-utero. Please keep that in mind. The longer that you can "stay off the meds" the better it will be for your child because damage can be quick and irreversible.

The fact that you are reaching out to strangers, and on a website known for conspiracy related subjects, is, as far as I can see, a really desperate measure, and I hope that you will find the support that you need, or receive direction on other ways that you can make it through this very difficult time.

Personally, I will extend my hand and do what I can....private message me if you like.

There are many theories about bi-polar disorder, depression and post traumatic disorder and how they originate. From your description it may not be that you have bi-polar disorder, as it is generally accepted that this disorder starts at a very young age. Seeing as you mentioned that it was "brought on" by a bad relationship, you may actually have post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and though related, how people overcome these mental health problems differs, and pharmaceuticals are not always the right or effective methods of treatment.

More importantly they certainly are not the only ones.

Ever heard of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)? I've personally seen it be more effective in helping than pharmaceutics on a wide range of "mood disorders". It is a relatively new psychotherapy, and maybe instead of trying to find a doctor that will prescribe drugs for you, you should be looking for someone to direct you to this type of group, or some other form of therapy.

I had to star you and quote your post in its entirety because you were spot on. You made exactly the same points I was going to make and you presented them well. OP: listen to this woman.

link   

I will at your suggestion sit here tonight and enjoy take out from my favorite Italian restaurant, some chocolate torte cake and Netflix. For this session, please send $120 dollars to JiggerJ, 100 What-do-I-know Lane, Bullship, Idano. Will you take food as payment seeing as Im not working right now. I guarantee I can cook you anything! !

To hell with the cooking, because of what you just wrote I now want spaghetti and some o' that cake! MMmmmm!

link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by caladonea

Thank you

Yes I just want to talk to someone. I am not a fan of medication, it always has an adverse effect on me. I took the seroquel cause i was desperate and it did work but i have long lasting side effects from it. I know that while pregnant they won't give me anything but I just want to talk to someone. I want someone to listen.

Thank you everyone for your replies. They all made me cry. I get more love here than from doctors and that is one reason I love ATS so much. The people here really are something special

Just because you were diagnosed with something does not mean you have "it" it only means some MD determined you fit the criteria created by big pharma for handing out med candy.

Depression can often be caused by blood sugar fluctuations very often related to diet. Blood sugar freak outs are just like depression for many, and one would have to follow you around for a week to figure out if a high carb, high processed food, high soda diet is the cause, but for the MD"s is just easier to sit with you for 30 seconds, make a diagnosis and bill for meds. Check your diet with regard to syndrome X as a baseline before anything. Try fasting for a few days and see if you feel better, if you do - voila diet is the baseline issue, as it is with most of the population in the US.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
Depression can often be caused by blood sugar fluctuations very often related to diet. Blood sugar freak outs are just like depression for many, and one would have to follow you around for a week to figure out if a high carb, high processed food, high soda diet is the cause, but for the MD"s is just easier to sit with you for 30 seconds, make a diagnosis and bill for meds. Check your diet with regard to syndrome X as a baseline before anything. Try fasting for a few days and see if you feel better, if you do - voila diet is the baseline issue, as it is with most of the population in the US.
You are ignoring the association with bi-polar disorder. That's different from run o' the mill clinical depression. And no...as some here suggest, you can't just will that away either.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Tykonos

Still don't see how it is the responsibility of the tax payer.

Maybe not but it's certainly the responsibility of a civilised society and fellow human beings.

OP, I hope you can find some help. It's hard relating to these sorts of problems having grown up and currently living in a country that has a socialised health system. It seems so archaic and uncivilised that this goes on in the US in 2013.

Good luck and best wishes.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

You are not alone. I will listen
I'm sorry you feel so alone. Trust me I know the feeling and it sucks. Have you tried a moms online group? Or a local moms group. You could possibly meet new people and get out of the house. I imagine the winter hasn't been nice and with the lack of sunshine your body may just really need some good spring time weather. I was alone for the last few months of my last pregnancy and it was torture. Well, not alone, I had a 2 year old at the time which actually made it worse....

You said your fiancee was overseas...do you mean in the military? If so, its a shame you two didn't marry before he left, then you would have been guaranteed healthcare. Will they let him come home for a few days when the baby is born? I'm assuming here sorry.

As far as meds, yeah you cant take that stuff with only 10 weeks left in the pregnancy. The unfortunate reality is that medicaid sucks. Yeah its better than nothing but it sounds like nothing is what they are doing....

I go through these phases lately myself with depression from my MS. It sucks. I always feel bad when I let people know how I feel, but sometimes just talking about it with others and knowing that they are listening is what is healing to me. And virtual hugs are the best!!

((((hugs))))

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'd recommend St. John's Wort if you haven't tried that already. It has side effects that you should be aware of but they are nothing compared to the prescription stuff. It lowers the effect of other drugs(mostly birth control, which obviously isn't an issue for you lol), and it makes you photosensitive. I'm not sure the effect on fetuses, You must find that out before starting that, but I do imagine it's rather safe in that regard.
And meditate daily.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
I'd recommend St. John's Wort if you haven't tried that already. It has side effects that you should be aware of but they are nothing compared to the prescription stuff. It lowers the effect of other drugs(mostly birth control, which obviously isn't an issue for you lol), and it makes you photosensitive. I'm not sure the effect on fetuses, You must find that out before starting that, but I do imagine it's rather safe in that regard.
And meditate daily.

Not if she's pregnant.

Conclusions
The researchers concluded:

•Caution is warranted when using St. John’s wort during pregnancy and lactation.
•St. John’s wort may interact with medications prescribed during pregnancy.
•During pregnancy, a case study and some animal studies reported lower birth weights with use of St. John’s wort.
•Strong scientific evidence showed that St. John’s wort consumption during lactation did not affect maternal milk production nor affect infant weight, but may cause colic, drowsiness or lethargy.
•St. John’s wort showed strong scientific evidence of being an effective aid in combating mild to moderate depression and low-level evidence for other conditions.

I think the best advice at this point is some counseling/support, good nutrition, and rest. I'm not entirely convinced about the bipolar diagnosis...I'm leaning (with limited info and over the net so take it with a grain of salt) PTSD and anxiety. There can be some overlap in symptoms. A good counselor with experience in battered women would be very helpful, IMHO.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I am rooting for you. I to am bipolar and have two healthy sons. Other than long lasting morning sickness I didn't suffer any major depression or mania while pregnant. The progesterone increases greatly while pregnant and it did a good job keeping me feeling good. Right after you deliver this level drops like a bomb and I strongly advise getting on a mood stabilizer ASAP. I wanted to breastfeed so I delayed taking medication and ended up in the psyche ward with bipolar and postpartum depression. With my second son I went back on meds immediately and did not have to go to the hospital.

I have to run for now, but I will check back later on.

Good for you for reaching out. Stay strong. People care.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join