It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm suffering from mental health problems and constantly get denied help. Something needs to be don

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have always been very open about my mental health issues that I have dealt with. I was diagnosed Bi Polar manic depressive around 2006 and had to seek treatment at a clinical study to get help. I tried for yrs to get treatment but I always got turned away due to not the right insurance or I couldn't afford the visits. I joined a study and was on Seroquel (bad stuff but it worked) for about 6mths. It worked and I felt like myself again and was weened off of it. I have not taken anything since. I do not want to take this again it caused major side effects but i was so desperate I wanted it and it did help. I did gain about 50lbs on it and had some other side effects but those immediately went away when I got off of it.

Well now I'm pregnant, 30wks and have tried to get help and I am constantly getting turned away. My obgyn (who I have since switched) just ignored my comments about my depression and they have IN my records that I have a history of mental health. Now doctors I've been calling they either won't accept my insurance (medicaid) or they won't take me cause I"m pregnant. I feel my symptoms coming back and want help. I don't want medication I want to talk to someone or get some kind of treatment. It is very frustrating to just be tossed aside like you are nothing when you KNOW you need help. I feel like I am going to have a complete and utter breakdown and I don't like it.

I live in FL and FL already has a horrible mental health program, one I am very familiar with and have dealt with in the past. My bi polar was brought on after a very bad and abusive relationship. I knew something wasn't right and I sought help but I just got turned away over and over again til I joined the study. Even the doctor I spoke to at the study wasn't going to take me on but thanks to a female doctor who told him she will not turn me away again they took me. The first doc I spoke to didn't want to take me for the study which again really upset me but the female doctor told him that I needed help and was always being turned away and she wouldn't do that. I drove 45mins twice a week for treatment and i was very thankful to that doctor. She was very nice and really helped save me at that time. I thought I was going to go completely insane if I didn't get help.

I have been calling every doctor in the phone book (google phone book) and they either won't take medicaid or they won't see me because I"m pregnant. I would think that a pregnant women would get help for mental health not be turned away! I feel so frustrated and broken. I am alone and have nobody around me. My fiancee is overseas and my family is over an hour away from me. I have no local friends since they all live where I grew up. I just want to cry, which I have done a lot lately. I feel like nobody really wants to help me even when I'm begging for it.

This is what is wrong with the mental health situation in this country. They don't care. I would get more help if I had a drug addiction and that is pretty darn sad. If I had a pill habit they'd be all over helping me while pregnant but just having severe depression/bi polar it's like I have the plague to them.

This country needs to stop worrying about gay rights and gun rights and really do something about mental health. It is a huge problem!! People with mental health problems are NOT crazy, they have a chemical imbalance in their brain and we just want to be normal. It is really hard to even admit to having a mental health problem here because you are just dismissed as crazy but for me I am not ashamed. It's a disorder and it is treatable. It is really frustrating to someone with mental health issues to be constantly turned away. It makes you feel even worse about your situation and when you are depressed like that it makes you feel hopeless. Constant rejection when you are CRYING out makes you feel like you have nothing left. If doctors won't help you then what?!

This is a song by my favorite band and it's about mental health. The first time I heard this song i cried and still do sometimes because it makes me feel like "Im gonna be ok someday." This song came out at the right time in my life and it may sound silly but it makes me feel better to listen to it.
My favorite line is the chorus:

But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know right now you can't tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
I know right now you don't care
But soon enough you're gonna think of me
And how I used to be...me

I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell.....

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hey, I'm very sorry to see you're going through a tough time. Your hormones maybe going haywire at the moment with your pregnancy.

Then there's the added pressure all new Mum's-to-be go through over all the worries that go with it.

I'm not in the US and aren't sure what help you can get or what you are entitled to.

Giving you a virtual hug.

edit on 9-4-2013 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
No help here just wanted to send you my thoughts and hope for a brighter future for you and your beautiful baby.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

My heart goes out to you. It seems to me by what you have said is that you want a therapist to talk to on a regular basis who can teach you some coping skills; and that you do not want to be on medication.

I wish I had a definite solution for you; all I can think of is...that you need to keep calling and asking around until you find someone who will help.

Meanwhile I send to you:

And..........

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thank you

Yes I just want to talk to someone. I am not a fan of medication, it always has an adverse effect on me. I took the seroquel cause i was desperate and it did work but i have long lasting side effects from it. I know that while pregnant they won't give me anything but I just want to talk to someone. I want someone to listen.

Thank you everyone for your replies. They all made me cry. I get more love here than from doctors and that is one reason I love ATS so much. The people here really are something special

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
A few links here, which may or may not help:bipolar treatment without meds
and www.winmentalhealth.com...this here

I have also spoken with people who have treated this with diet, exercise, and natural supplements designed to relieve or change the chemical imbalance: the cycle of seratonin, dopamine, etc.....

Having said all that, you are not alone, and I certainly feel for you. It is especially difficult now, as you are pregnant, and this will cause even more imbalance due to fluctuating hormones due to pregnancy.
Good luck.
Tetra

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Oh then see a midwife is my advice, and explain to them that you are coping with depression and that your pregnant. Its not a nice combination. A midwife, who is watching and monitoring your pregnancy should be able to offer you advice as to whom to turn to. It is true you cant usually take medication when pregnant, but after birth you should be able to get onto medication if you want it. As birth is extremely stressful and afterwards you need all the care and support you can have.

What is the treatment for depression during pregnancy?

If you feel you may be struggling with depression, the most important thing is to seek help. Treatment options for women who are pregnant can include: • Support groups • Private psychotherapy • Medication • Light therapy

Also take vitamins during pregnancy, or try st johns wood, excercise and so forth.

Here is a website for those with prenatal or postnatal depression for you
www.postpartum.net...
edit on 9-4-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

so sorry to hear you are unwell. hugs

have you considered a chinese herbalist? or some holistic approaches? I had insomnia and anxiety and I was given some chinese herbs in a liquid bottle (which is quite safe for pregnacy) and it really helped.

just also wondering if you have some free services like lifeline or a number you can call... oh omg what about Nursing Mothers Assoc? They can help with all sorts of things and they can give you support and an ear.

I am in the AU and we have a lot of support groups that are free for the public.

www.lifecall.org... this might be helpful xx
edit on 9-4-2013 by Thurisaz because: to add url

link   
Also, as Caledonea mentioned, it would be extremely helpful to have someone to talk to on a daily basis.
Many places have training clinics for social workers earning their credits for counseling. These places often have a sliding scale payment basis. And even though these folks are "in training," they can be very insightful and helpful....

Try to stay away from the meds, especially considering the pregnancy. But you do, I believe, need to be under the care of an internal medicine, primary care physician, as well, for once you have had your child, you are also a likely candidate to suffer post partum depression, even just as the cycling of the Bi polar disorder works, combined with even more hormone fluctuation after delivery

Good, positive thoughts I am sending your way. Much love

And you will find supportive people here, also.
Tetra

link   

they have a chemical imbalance in their brain and we just want to be normal.

Ill get too that in a moment... I believe your clarity.

Im sorry to hear about the help you seek only too be turned and washed on feeling like a label and you mentally know and are aware to deal with it.

I stand too myself in a way where everything was a big worry for me, not personally worry but global issues, as a teen. I felt lost, a direction of hopeless aid and redundant to seek help thinking too i would just cause more harm around me then.

I can't compare, as a father, you baring a child, and in your stand too commitment. I don't know even if this wash will come too you and maybe the sense will be of the same for you what i have too say.. Its nothing too massively "out there" or "over the top"

As for me, someone whom was so "distracted" too the outside world as a teen, (im 24 currently)

It was 2 years ago, this month actually that i started to experiment with "brain wave entertainment" or to better put it "

Such a stimulus is often aural, as in the case of binaural or monaural beats and isochronic tones, or else visual, as with a dream machine, a combination of the two with a mind machine, or even electromagnetic radiation.
[1] - Wiki - Every night while going to bed i will allow my body to go into its own trance - With good headphones.

In a sense of it all - Im spiritually aware- I feel good and i don't tend too worry in-to my own depths... Meditation honestly has come a long way for me. I can say deep down - Its calmed me, things around me, and can deal with my problems hand at hand. I hope too im not disturbing into your own amist. I only want to help and aid too what really helped me and my depression. I hope too you find that balance in mind, body, and soul. For YOU.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Glad to see you getting some responses, you have always been a truly wonderful member and it kind of took me by surprise that you have issues like this. keep strong sweetheart, hopefully the right answer will come along for you.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This website spans the whole of the USA. Its online but according to the website the experts in prenatal depression contact you straight away especially if you feel its an emergency. Or you can talk to other mothers on there about what - helped them. Get through it.

www.postpartum.net...

It also has a wealth of information about new mothers and mental health issues on it. For you to read
edit on 9-4-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
You know with the way that you are writing I don't think you are depressed.

Bored.

Maybe in pain over something.

But depressing is debilitating to the point that people often don't put together coherent paragraphs.

However, ATS is the last place you need to hunt down medical treatment.

If you are in crisis. They have to treat you as far as I know.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
First and foremost, I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with getting the types of services that you need.

However, please keep in mind that any substance that you put into your body will affect your body and this is especially true with medications for bi-polar disorder, which may be the reason behind why you are receiving what appears to be a "refusal" for doctors to treat you. You already know what types of side effects these drugs can have, and many of them are linked with abnormalities in babies born to mothers that are taking them.

Recently I had a friend who was pregnant who also suffers from bi-polar disorder. Her problems got so bad that she was put back on her meds. When her daughter was born (because she didn't start taking them again until she was about as far along as you are) they were worried that in the short time that her mother was on the medications that it damaged the child's kidneys. She was fortunate, but this is the reality of what these medications can do to a developing child while in-utero. Please keep that in mind. The longer that you can "stay off the meds" the better it will be for your child because damage can be quick and irreversible.

The fact that you are reaching out to strangers, and on a website known for conspiracy related subjects, is, as far as I can see, a really desperate measure, and I hope that you will find the support that you need, or receive direction on other ways that you can make it through this very difficult time.

Personally, I will extend my hand and do what I can....private message me if you like.

There are many theories about bi-polar disorder, depression and post traumatic disorder and how they originate. From your description it may not be that you have bi-polar disorder, as it is generally accepted that this disorder starts at a very young age. Seeing as you mentioned that it was "brought on" by a bad relationship, you may actually have post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and though related, how people overcome these mental health problems differs, and pharmaceuticals are not always the right or effective methods of treatment.

More importantly they certainly are not the only ones.

Ever heard of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)? I've personally seen it be more effective in helping than pharmaceutics on a wide range of "mood disorders". It is a relatively new psychotherapy, and maybe instead of trying to find a doctor that will prescribe drugs for you, you should be looking for someone to direct you to this type of group, or some other form of therapy.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I may be able to give you some pointers on making this problem go away. Small changes in diet can help to moderate Bipolar. It cannot cure it but it never has to come back to haunt you again. I can only guide you, you have to monitor what the reactions are. PM me if you need help to figure this out on your own. You will need a non bipolar sane friend to help you with this. Someone to help monitor you. It probably won't cost any more than it does now to eat but will require you to cook homemade foods. Remember, I said small changes, don't go overboard with things. Foods and spices are drugs, always have been always will be.

I'm sure that the doctors quit giving you treatment because they saw the meds they were giving you were effecting you negatively. I think they may have done you a favor by quitting treatment.

Meds for treating bipolar are not good for the baby. Foods are safer because the body will not absorb chemistry out of foods if it is a problem. To fix this, after the baby is born, it might be necessary to take a few small supplements a few times a week if your body cannot take certain things out of food.
edit on 9-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Not sure what your view is on religion, or religious activities or what not, but here there are a lot of churches that run support groups and one on one free counseling. Just an ear to listen. Most of the time unless you request it, they keep religion out of it to keep from causing more discomfort.

Consider contacting a local college that has a psych class and see if they can help you out as well. I doubt you will find anybody who would prescribe any meds to you while you are pregnant, since they don't want to be hit with a lawsuit if something goes wrong and that could be a side effect of some drug.

Also try a search for a holistic doctor in the area, they may be able to help as well.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

What your going through is not ok. You should be able to readily get therapy for this problem. Especially when pregnant! Keep calling until you find one who will see you. Go to free clinics and don't give up on reaching out. The fact that you want help is a therapists dream because your willing to participate in your own recovery. In the meanwhile, watch your thoughts. What you feed yourself will affect your mood. Think of MOOD M = watch your mood. Your mood is an indicator of your cognitive nutrition or lack thereof (thoughts). Rate your mood on a scale of 1-10. O = observe. Observe the content of your thoughts. Are they helpful? O = Be objective. Ask yourself what your feeding yourself by these thoughts. Is it good for you? Will it get you where you want to be (happy; healthy), is it helpful for your self esteem? Rate these thoughts on a scale of 1-10 based on how they will make the situation better. D = decide. Decide which thoughts will benefit you the most. Choose to restructure those thoughts to be more in line with your goals for your mood or whatever it is you want.

All of that is easy to say but the work comes in when one has to do it. Exercising the mind is not unlike exercising to lose weight or gain muscle. It takes effort and time. When your mind is used to a lot of negative input its dificult to retrain it. It may not feel like immediate relief but you will begin to see shifts in your well being. What do you have to lose?

Also - find a support group. That can be a 12 step program (especially if you have any vices), a cooking group, new mom to be group, church group, etc. you need support systems. Step out of this comfort zone and make yourself do good things for yourself.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Sorry to hear about your condition, but PLEASE stop crying for the sake of your baby.

You don't want your baby to be in a constant state of stress and sadness.....Cheer up and try to help yourself online....Watch some motivational speakers on youtube or google the topic.....

Stay positive.....Everything happens for a reason!!

Seek out your local church for help also, they will help if they can.....
edit on 4/9/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I am honest-to-God not trying to be trite, or to troll, but your representatives are constantly telling the world that there is no need for socialised medicine because there is always a way to access treatment. Is it worth a call to your congressman's office?

Best of luck...and it's not unwise to seek advice from this community, no matter what some say.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

I am honest-to-God not trying to be trite, or to troll, but your representatives are constantly telling the world that there is no need for socialised medicine because there is always a way to access treatment. Is it worth a call to your congressman's office?

Best of luck...and it's not unwise to seek advice from this community, no matter what some say.

You aren't trolling.

That's the problem though, it all comes down to the $ or £.

We should live in a society where help is given free, for those that need it, regardless of ability to pay.

Assistance and helping people who need it, should cost no more than the kindness of others.

To me that's the big problem society needs to overcome. Materialism and the worth given to a set currency set by people who gain more from that than the majority who benefit little from it and have more to loose.

edit on 9-4-2013 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join