It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaining points and how to recognise each others contributions on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Hi Folks,

I was kindly asked by abeverage to create this new thread on the current thread here :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My question to you all and especially to the site owners and Moderation staff is the following :

Could members who have contributed to ATS with quality threads and have obtained a "certain" targeted number of points possibily obtain a winning compensatory gift?

My idea (which also links to those who wish to recognise other ATS members in the street so to speak was obtaining a tiny pin like badge that ATS members could proudly wear...)

Just a question and looking forward to your responses.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I think the owners have a delicate balance to maintain. The site is successful because of and relies on original content which comes exclusively from its members. The problem is that much of the fun content comes from members posting candidly which will happen less if there were a bigger punishment/reward system.

There's a fine line between rewarding too little and not encouraging anything of quality and rewarding too much and encouraging members to "point whore" or simply try to game the site once they realize which moderators like what content.

I agree that there should perhaps be specific non-tangible rewards but we sort of already have that with stars. I like the idea of a point store as long as its not so tantalizing as to be a distraction to the actual content.
edit on 9-4-2013 by Cuervo because: Sleepy as crap.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I don't think it would happen Rod

If you really want to be known as an ATS member I'm afraid you have to splash the cash here www.cafepress.com

I bought an ATS T-shirt that I wear with pride and was accosted in our supermarket by a young lady (not an unpleasant experience) that is a lurker on the site.

It was after the Members as teenagers thread
straight on heels of Rocky's epic In your mind what do members look like ?

It was money well spent (if only for the attention of a young lady)

Cody

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I do believe they do something in regards to the WATS index at the end of the year....

Though I will not be on the winning list... LOL I have both positively and negatively contributed to this site......

Take a look at my profile and you'll see why.....

Can I get an award for the most ATS points taken away????

On that note.....

Cheers~ SnF and good luck!

p.s. some ATS'ers will say that there are some who contribute more with a lower WATS index that do not get the recognition they deserve, just food for thought~

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

I think I'm a little closer to that goal -15,305 and counting.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Rodinus start another thread about this! It's a great idea and I will support it! A better visual que than points. Maybe like with 5,000 points you get a UFO 10,000 a Alien 50,000 a JFK emblem (might be bad taste???) 100,000 and Illuminati sigil!

Now that may doable
What do you say Mods ?
Just a symbol of some sort posted by our avatars ?

Say every oh I don't know 10,0000 points? It could be 'upgraded' and maybe one for length of membership as not all members post frequently ?

Cody

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Great SCOTTS MCFLY~ And I am now speechless.......

I feel trumped..... Toooshay~

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

People seemingly like my opinions. I like to disturb the peace just a little too much.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

But OP, with respect, I just looked up your profile, your posts, your threads, your ATS points, your applauses.

Recognition comes from reading what one writes and determining merit not on past performances and points and baubles, but on constant solid contribution.

Just my humble opinion.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

What is it with you people who need some kind of recognition on an internet forum?! Did you not get enough gold stars in school or what as a kid?!

This is a site for adults not kids. If you want gold stars go back to elementary school. I'm not trying to be mean but it seems every week people want something for contributing to ATS. Why not just take pride in the fact you DID contribute? Why do you need something to show you have?

No offense but this constant need for gratification on here is getting ridiculous. This site use to be about content NOT about flags and stars. You can't do anything with these flags or stars. Nobody will see them unless they are an ATS member.

Why do you care so much about this stuff?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
As it has already been said there can be ways to exploit any system.

I just find Badges in video games can be a challenge and sometimes you want a bit of a challenge.

The spirit behind this is more of visual cue that someone is a good poster verses a hoaxer, although there are some in place they are hard to decipher. And I was curious of an official response.

As far as a points store is concerned since content is generated by the community what ways are the community rewarded other than personal Ego? (that should stir up some I AM'ers... hehe)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If I could star you Beezer I would.

Exactly how I feel.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by Rodinus

What is it with you people who need some kind of recognition on an internet forum?! Did you not get enough gold stars in school or what as a kid?!

This is a site for adults not kids. If you want gold stars go back to elementary school. I'm not trying to be mean but it seems every week people want something for contributing to ATS. Why not just take pride in the fact you DID contribute? Why do you need something to show you have?

No offense but this constant need for gratification on here is getting ridiculous. This site use to be about content NOT about flags and stars. You can't do anything with these flags or stars. Nobody will see them unless they are an ATS member.

Why do you care so much about this stuff?

When I was new here it took me a very long time to determine who contributed worth while piece or just fluff with lots of links and heavy in words.

The suggestion came from a visual cue less complicated than the current one. A way for someone to address the contributors worth and reputation. Think of this not so much as a gratification but a way to reliably trust a source.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

**playing devil's advocate**

So I've been here a while and I know the membership. Who is a quality poster, who is hit and run etc..

Now if I was a new member however, or a visitor for example, what can I use to quickly identify quality posters and direct myself to their content?

I constantly go to people's profiles and read their threads and posts directly from those links if I enjoyed a particular thread by any given member that I'm not too familiar with.

I could see myself doing that more, if there were some visual indication on the Avatar or something similar that would tell me that according to the 'system in place' this member has been designated as a quality contributor.

For us long term members who are here everyday, it's that much of a big deal, cause we already know who is who and who stands where.

For the regular ATS member who logs in once a week or a month, to new visitors who visit only once, it could be very beneficial. Not only in leading them towards the quality content, but also for keeping those short term members by wowing them so to speak.

ETA: Personally, the accolades I could care less about, I'm here for the community, not the bell's and whistles, but shiny things are nice right?

~Tenth
edit on 4/9/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But....but......I want an ATS coffee mug and I'm too cheap to pay for one!!!

Besides, I'd like to see you get an official ATS stripper pole with all your points!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I wish our points could buy us gear.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I've got plenty of bangles and bells, and they were/are fun to earn, but you are only as good as your last post.

Regards,

CX

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by Rodinus

In all fairness, it's the adults running this adult site that award them.

Personally, i think we should bin the points system. Avatars too. Far too much to feed the ego.

Bin the awards, bin the fancy pictures (great as they may be as art work), we'd soon see a drop in the egotistic ramblings of both newer and older members of all levels.

You have to take a look at what gets starred too, some people star for downright horrible posts.

There must be a better way.

CX.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by beezzer

But....but......I want an ATS coffee mug and I'm too cheap to pay for one!!!

Besides, I'd like to see you get an official ATS stripper pole with all your points!

Someone has GOT to bring that gif in! I can't find it in the ATS search!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Your wish is my command!

beezzer performs on his official ATS stripper pole:

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join