It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NorKs? Rogue Satellites? EMPs? Faraday Cage 101

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
With all of the discussion of North Korea's threats...and tomorrow being "doomsday" or (hopefully just plain Wednesday) I went looking for information on our old friend, the Faraday Cage. The following is a very simple, easy to follow (at least for someone like me) explanation of both EMPs and the protective nature of TIN FOIL and MICROWAVE OVENS. So is it worth stashing the iPad, iPhone, Droid or laptop in the Sharp Carousel tonight (will the small electronics have ANY real use if grid is indefinitely down?)...who knows? But a worthy explanation (and reminder that you'll still have Angry Birds!)

io9.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

Point of order, may want to do it NOW if a real concern. It is already an hour into April 10th in North Korea...they are 13hrs ahead of Eastern Time in the US.

P.S. you really won't need to though....

edit on 9-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Next question or statement, a faraday cage is useless when all northern americas power is out. What good will a cell phone do when all towers will be down or you cant charge it. Same as a computer. What good will a computer be, unless you have PDF for homesteading on it, still how are you going to power it up after the battery dies.

your gennys will be out and everything. unless you EMP proof your power sorces.
edit on 9-4-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Grid won't be down forever, and beats buying a new laptop...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

NorKs? I have not heard that! It's great!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yup gotta love Norks. Now WTF am I going to do when someone uses the descriptor "N-word"?
Do I grab my gat or hide my chopsticks?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Next question or statement, a faraday cage is useless when all northern americas power is out. What good will a cell phone do when all towers will be down or you cant charge it. Same as a computer. What good will a computer be, unless you have PDF for homesteading on it, still how are you going to power it up after the battery dies.

your gennys will be out and everything. unless you EMP proof your power sorces.
edit on 9-4-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

I could find my Kindle useful as it has a serious long battery life and I have a hand crank to power it!

It stores more books in a handy small form then I could possibly carry...

new topics

top topics

join