It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

astonishing ignorance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
millions of people in our country have turned a blind eye to the real actions of the bush administration (and im not talking about any conspiracy theories, im talking about iraq, the economy, patriot act, etc.), and have choosen a president based simply on moral issues like abortion and gay marriage. BOTH OF WHICH THE PRESIDENT HIMSELF CAN DO VIRTUALLY NOTHING ABOUT. I simply cant believe such a large number americans live such insular lives, they can continue to support this administration solely because of his so called "moral values." Look at the centerpieces of this administration, Iraq, "war on terrorism," the tax cut. The success of any of them is debatable at best. If you honestly believe the most pressing questions facing this country and the world right now are gay marriage and abortion, you are deeply out of touch with reality.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I think politicians like to believe that their actions are based on strong moral decisions. However with Bush this is not the case.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Millions of those Americans you so blithely malign might say the exact same thing about you.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I'm a happy camper!

Edwards is making a fool of himself on tv right now, lmao.

Suprise, suprise! He's threatening a lawsuis, lol. But would else would you expect from a frickin trial lawyer.

It is a shame people don't concede gracefully anymore.

What a bunch of whiners.

Rokgodes

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by a good username
... and have choosen a president based simply on moral issues like abortion and gay marriage. BOTH OF WHICH THE PRESIDENT HIMSELF CAN DO VIRTUALLY NOTHING ABOUT.

Very true. George Bush is anti-abortion, but it's not banned in the USA.
This isn't Dubya's fault, but to vote for him based on something he can't change anyway is somewhat absurd.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
May I say that if millions of americans made their decision based on their moral choice over gay marriage etc, then a wise candidate would have taken that into consideration and based his policies on the will of the people ....

Obviously Kerry didn't do that.... so he lost...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
First of all, id argue whether its the "will of the people" or the will of a well organized large contingent. but thats not the point. Im saying people should recognize that theres more pressing issues at hand, particularly issues which the president has his hand in, NOT social issues which the president is virtually powerless in.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I am sorry but are we talking about the same election?

It is obvious that as a MAJORITY of the people voted for Bush, that a MAJORITY of the people feel strongly enough (or more people feel strongly for Bushes viewpoint, than people who felt strongly for Kerry's viewpoint).

As the president remained as the president then he obviously was NOT powerless in his actions, he was doing what the people wanted.

I think you are trying to make a point or spin the outcome based on inaccurate information.

The people spoke, at least listen to what they said and admit it even if you don't like it.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   
What I see so far in this thread is everyone is actually concurring with the other (ya just don't know it) ........... Bush winning is based on a religious stance, NOT on wise choices.

Misfit

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   
You've made it clear that those policies don't matter to you. Fine. But those domestic agendas DO matter to a whole bunch of the citizens of this land of milk & honey.

Those of us who opposed Bill Clinton for 8 years certainly toiled under the weight of watching him transform everything about government into a bureaucratic behemoth, armed to the teeth with liberal policies and anti-mainstream agendas.

The Clintonistas were experts at making otherwise benign government agencies into liberal tools.

I personally will never forget back in 1994, when, right after Waco, Attorney General Janet Reno sent a letter to every sheriff in the state of Texas, asking for a list by county of "strict interpreters of the 2nd amendment, who were likely to respond with violence if they believed their guns were about to be taken away. Now, the Dept Justice claimed to have no official policy on gun control. But it was obvious to local law enforcement that the Dems were using D of J as a political tool.

I also remember when Clinton promised 100,000 cops on the street. It seems your department would only get your quota of cops if the agency head was a member of the pro-democrat police union.

Most "pilot programs" in education, welfare, even the military, go to areas where the president has secure support.

So yeah, whether or not the president believes in a particular issue has a huge factor on what life is like under that regime.

And some folks, however wrongly by your arithmatic, believe that abortion is murder, and they don't want their tax dollars used to fund it. With 3 million abortions a year, some people see that as a problem every bit as "real" as 1000 dead soldiers in Iraq.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Username

You list several things that you say people should base their decisions on.then admit that the success of those are debatable. So if they are debatable maybe those folks didnt come to the same conclusions that you did? so just possibly between the people who think that enough of those policies are sucessful and those that think they are a draw and looked at the other issues, shrub found sucess. what is wrong with that....they didn't vote like you thought they should have?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
yes, those issues dont really matter to me. and yes they do seem to matter to a alot of people. Im saying i think they are misguided and wrong for voting mainly on "moral values." If its a majority, then i guess a majority of registered voters in america are wrong. maybe its time i move to a more sensible country...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
yes, those issues dont really matter to me. and yes they do seem to matter to a alot of people. Im saying i think they are misguided and wrong for voting mainly on "moral values." If its a majority, then i guess a majority of registered voters in america are wrong. maybe its time i move to a more sensible country...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a good username, let me get this straight: When people disagree with you, they're idiots. I see.

I'm sorry you find representative democracy so disagreeable. What do you recommend instead?

[edit on 11/3/2004 by Majic]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
this post is pathetic.

It really is. I mean - everyone who didn't vote for your idiot presidential hopefull is ignorant because they dissagree with you?

Absolutely pathetic.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by a good usernameIf its a majority, then i guess a majority of registered voters in america are wrong. maybe its time i move to a more sensible country...

Now, that's just not right. I have a right to vote for the man of my choice, just as much as my opponent has a right to vote for the man of HIS/HER choice. No matter what one thinks the basis of choice is (ie: I think the choice for Bush is a religious based one, as I stated), it is still THIER choice !!

Misfit

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Im posting my opinions, and yes, i think if you disagree with me, you are wrong. which is the whole idea of a discussion board. its just my opinion. representative democracy is fine, but i think here in america you have a large portion of the population being influenced by a watered down corporate media, and organized religion. just because a majority approves something, doesnt mean its right.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Im posting my opinions, and yes, i think if you disagree with me, you are wrong. which is the whole idea of a discussion board. its just my opinion. representative democracy is fine, but i think here in america you have a large portion of the population being influenced by a watered down corporate media, and organized religion. just because a majority approves something, doesnt mean its right.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Im posting my opinions, and yes, i think if you disagree with me, you are wrong.

Originally posted by American Mad Man
this post is pathetic.

It really is. I mean - everyone who didn't vote for your idiot presidential hopefull is ignorant because they dissagree with you?

Absolutely pathetic.

I don't think AMM and myself have EVER agreed on something, but we never said "you are wrong for thinking so"; I know I have never said that to another, and I do not think AMM would either. In light of that - I am COMPLETELY in concurrence with him on this one !!! heh

user, you just made a lot of "not friends" on this board, I would suggest you let it die by morning time when USA wakes up, as that is the majority of the posters.

Misfit

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Your opinion sucks

It's one thing to dissagree, it's a whole other to label 55,000,000 people ignorant because they didn't vote for your boy. Get a clue - a lot of those 55 MILLION people are more intellegent and informed then you are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join