It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NORTH KOREA: 4 US Soldiers, voluntary and independently, defect to NK...(circa 1960)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
back in the 60's.

I was astonished to have never known this before last night, even after all the documentaries I've watched and tons of articles from this country.

These 4 US Soldiers defected, without knowing eachother, within an 18 month span. All had similar broken home backgrounds, with having recent troubles in the military. They wanted to get away from it all, and while on border patrol they each fled through the mine fields into NK.

Amazingly, they were not killed... Yet used for propaganda in public meetings and TV spots. Even so far as acting in 10+ movies in NK and became movie stars. Given more rations then average NK citizen and were required to learn Korean to be able to teach NK's English.

Also, Japanese women were kidnapped from Japan and boated to NK to have children with these men, then to teach these kids both Korean, English and Japanese to be used as future spies (but there is conflicting stories)

STOP READING THIS THREAD AND WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY. I watched it all last night in one sitting.

Why have we never heard of this?..

edit on 4/10/2013 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Edited Title to include timeframe.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well - we might not have heard this before - but we're hearing it now thanks to you.
I for one am going to go grab some popcorn and kick back for a watch.
Thank you for posting -
peace

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I was surprised when I first saw this too. I saw it on Netflix about a year ago. I guess some people just see things differently.

Odd race, we humans are.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
300+ million Americans, not everyone is going to see things the same way...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I just watched it all and I'm stuck for words at the minute I don't no how I feel about it, is he happy or putting on a show I just don't no, I'll catch you later when Iv'e thought about it more

Thanks for finding it and S and F I did enjoy i

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
^ Thanks a lot.

I think how upset he was at the end about his buddy telling "lies", was just because he still lives in NK and it's his way of sympathizing with them.

I really enjoyed it as well.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
They Chose China

This another video about 21American POWs who chose to live in China rather than returning to the USA after the Korean War.

SnF

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mypan
They Chose China

This another video about 21American POWs who chose to live in China rather than returning to the USA after the Korean War.

SnF

Nice!

Thanks so much. I'm gonna book mark it for after work

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Yet many other came floating back down the river after being interrogated! You'll never get the whole story.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IntelRetard

I was wondering that too.
We will never know if they were actually threatened, or their families were threatened.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

As well fed as these guys are they may end up being a pre war meal. If these North Korean solders are eating each other I doubt they would hesitate to feast on a plump corn fed American................I guess they were Americans.

:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This's will ave a huge impact. Focus on it a lot. End sarcasm.
edit on 9-4-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I recall reading about this in the past. It's strange imagining why people would defect to a different country. However, it is even stranger how their lives have changed in North Korea. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Why is this so surprising?

Particularly China?

There would be a lot to gain perhaps... think about it a US defector? You get a hot Asian wife and a weekly paycheck for sure just to go around and occasionally lecture on why America sucks?

Lets face it for a grunt that could be kind of appealing no?

I have serious consideration of spending the remainder of my life in Japan... The Asian Culture over all is kind of sane in daily life compared to America the women are beautiful it's not radicalized like Islam, you can have a nice drink, the food is really good... being poor isn't a sin if you participate...

what's a grunt got to look forward to? Continued service? then coming home to a job in a nation where material success equals your success with women which = zero -5% with an 82% chance of divorce if anyone wants you?

Frack... the dudes that defected to China (for their circumstances) upped their game for sure...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard
Yet many other came floating back down the river after being interrogated! You'll never get the whole story.

Yeah well NK would be rolling the dice lol, they don't have the resources to put up too many defectors.... a bullet to the face is a likely #2 option if they find you before you revel yourself particularly....

China however... those guys have whole empty cities lol... count on a nice apartment, an easy job teaching English and occasionally bashing America to small groups and a Wife who actually makes you a sandwich once in a while.... minus the bread of course with vegetables in a bowl lol... but still

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
lol.... Hundreds of dudes just went ...."hrrrrrrmmmmm" why didn't I think of that LOL

Defection can be a pretty good gig when your current nation is crap in the employment department.... so what if your "new wife" is a "party girl" to keep an eye on you, beats the kind of "party girl" you might end up with back home no? Methamphetamine Mary lol? Alchoholic Ann? what is a semi traumatized dude with no options beyond Cab driver when he gets back looking forward too anyway... Your biggest demand would be "suit me up in a Black Mao outfit please it makes me look slimmer" lol....

I could talk all day about how Mc Donalds gives you anus Cancer and aspartame turns you gay or whatever... that's what I do on Ats...
Half you guys could defect...
You even write your own content!!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by IntelRetard

Good comment. I understand people defecting, but to North Korea ?
I understand the North Koreans using these gifts for propaganda, but defecting? to North Korea ? Wouldn't that be like defecting to East Germany back in the day? My granddaughter still doesn't get the whole East/West Germany thing. I'm not sure I do anymore. I asked her to bring me her history text book. I can't wait to see it. She is nine. It will be interesting to see how much the government has re-written history since the information age has started. Like in Connecticut, were they teach kids the second amendment is only there so we can have a 'national guard' ! or like they teach here in Colorado, that the constitution is only there in case you get sued, by the government!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I know the 1 line replies are frowned on, but if they weren't...I'd have just said "Wow"....that movie was fascinating, OP, thank you for sharing. I'd never heard of this in my life! Thanks, again.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I suppose there are various reasons for wanting to defect to another country. I think that in these cases, the main reason for choosing NK was availability and proximity, lol. If they wanted to get away from the military, there are not many allied countries they could have gone to. Plus, they probably had no real way of getting away anyway, aside from walking the short distance into NK. As I am thinking about this, I am thinking that defecting to NK might not be so bad for a US citizen. And what I am thinking seems to have played out in the story you bring us.

They would want to use you for propaganda purposes, of course, and they are much likely to treat you better because you are special in a way, and stand out against the other members of the population. Plus, I would bet that even an average US soldier would be able to teach some things to the NK's, considering the huge differences between education. I am going to try to watch the video now.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Quite a story...if you can manage to open yourself up to it. I respect the man. He got away and made a better life for HIMSELF. not you, not our corrupt govt. HIMSELF. at the end of the day, that is what matters.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join