It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Diebold Factor

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
wheresthetruth has posted an interesting development that I thought I would link to this thread...
Judge Won't Allow Researchers To Reveal Report On E-Voting Machines
Anyone surprised?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The Diebold factor is considerable.
The issue with the Sequoia voting system machines is much much worse: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry for the self-promo but it is much worse.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I've followed your thread as well, actually the two are more closely related than you might think....

Source
Diebold’s roundabout entry into elections came in 1999, when the company – the nation’s leading maker of ATM machines, where it now corners 66% of the U.S. market – bought a Brazilian ATM maker for $240 million. The Brazilian company was also in charge of upgrading that country’s voting machines, and Diebold set about blanketing Brazil with 355,000 touch-screen voting terminals, including generator-operated vote-counters rafted into the heart of the Amazonian rainforest in the most recent presidential contest....

Diebold maintains close ties to the other leading voting machine companies. Diebold’s current president, Bob Urosevich, was the co-founder of American Information Systems with brother Todd Urosevich, who is now Vice President of Election Systems & Software (see above).

[edit on 3-10-2008 by twitchy]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Thanks for that.
I read the article you linked. Very informative.

The only thing I would say is that it seems a little dated.
So I will go back to the beginning of this thread and inform myself by reading the whole thing. Should have done that anyway.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Anyone familiar with this old thread will not be surprised at the fraud allegations and evidence of it surrounding the Republican primaries. It seems to be a tradition in the party.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I always felt like this thread should have gotten more of a response than it did. Gools, the OP, is gone now

Probably one of the most important conspiracies of the modern age, and nobody seems to really care. I put a good deal of research into this thread, and the more I read the more disgusted I got with what I was reading and just sort of let this one go into the memory hole. I don't think we will be hearing much more about the voting machines in the media this time around, people are just going to quietly let them get away with it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Getting close to election time again, so I thought I'd bump this thread again just to remind folks of how utterly screwed the electoral, hence the entire democratic process, has become. Don't hear much about this stuff these days, wonder why?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Bump... because

Why can't I add stars to this thread? Is it too close to the truth?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SymbolicLogic
Gools was the OP, she's no longer a member.
It's almost election time again, so it's about time to do my civic duty and bump this thread. You guys reckon Donald Trump even knows what a Central Tabulator is? lol

edit on 31-12-2015 by twitchy because: must be filled out

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Source
White House appoints NSA-criticizing computer scientist Ed Felten to key post
Dylan Tweney May 11, 2015 3:37 PM

At first glance, Felten seems like an unusually anti-establishment choice. Felten, while a widely respected researcher, has a long track record as a critic of copy protection, government spying, and electronic voting machines.

In 2001, he was involved in a lawsuit against the Recording Industry Association of America, which had sought to block him and several students from publishing the results of their research into weaknesses in a music copy-protection scheme that the music industry was exploring.

In 2006, Felten published a video showing how easy it is to hack into widely used Diebold voting machines, potentially changing the results of elections....

As deputy, Felten will report to former Google exec Megan Smith, the recently named White House CTO.

This is an older story but it's interesting because this is a guy that actually has written software specifically for the purpose of hacking Diebold Voting Machines.

Source
The White House just named Ed Felten as its newest advisor in the Office of Science and Technology Policy. Felten is a professor at Princeton, but you might remember him from a 2006 video where he shows how to hack a voting machine and potentially steal an election. (Conspiracy theorists, start your engines!)

“Our study shows that a criminal who can inject malicious software into this voting machine can control how the votes are tallied,” the narrator of the video says. “His malicious software can steal votes, and it can cover its tracks so that the theft cannot be detected.”

Felten and his two grad student researchers at Princeton wrote software to hack the Diebold machines and demonstrated it in the video below.

Retina Scanning Screen-less ATM machines are on Diebold's horizon, I would speculate that the same technology will eventually carry over to voting machines.

Source
Diebold, EyeLock to showcase screen-free ATM at CES
Jan. 1, 2016

Diebold Inc. and EyeLock, a provider of iris-based identity authentication solutions, will present "Irving," a screenless, self-service ATM at this week's 2016 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the companies said in a press release.

The concept ATM has no PIN pad, card reader or screen. Instead, the machine works with a mobile app on the user's smartphone to stage transactions, which are carried out via NFC and QR code technology — with ID verification conducted via EyeLock iris scanning.

"EyeLock believes that the age of carrying plastic cards and remembering passwords is just about over and the era of unfettered personal access through biometric technology is just beginning," said Anthony Antolino, chief marketing and business development officer at EyeLock LLC. "For banking and other applications, EyeLock's iris identity authentication solutions are not only highly secure, but [also] very easy to use."

To take advantage of the technology, Irving ATM users simply open the app on their phone or tablet, designate the amount to be withdrawn, and then proceed to any EyeLock-equipped ATM on the network to complete the transaction. The machine quickly scans the user's iris to ascertain identity, verifie the transaction via QR code, and then dispenses the desired sum. The whole process takes less than half the time of a typical ATM transaction today, the release said.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Also thought this was pretty interesting... I don't know the first thing about Bitcoin, it's just not something I've read up on but perhaps some of our more tech savvy members here could weigh in on this one. Any accountable alternative to these unaccountable 'tabulators' and secret proprietary softwares that determine our elections sounds like a good start though.

Source
The First Bitcoin Voting Machine Is On Its Way
America's voting machines are archaic and rundown, a recent study showed, and security experts have warned that voter machines are vulnerable to hacking.

Enter Blockchain Technologies Corp, a company that hopes to replace existing proprietary machines with secure, open-source voting machines that use the blockchain, the technology behind Bitcoin.

A blockchain is a distributed ledger. Instead of one company being in charge of a central database, everyone who sets up a node on the network has a copy of it. Imagine a bank with a database of deposits and withdrawals. As a customer, you have to trust that the bank is tracking your funds correctly. Now imagine instead that a large network of customers is tracking all withdrawals and deposits, constantly verifying against each other's records in order to maintain the integrity of the ledger. This is how the digital currency Bitcoin works.

Now, imagine that instead of withdrawals and deposits, it's votes.

Advocates say blockchain-based elections are transparent and secure. They've been tested by the Liberal Alliance in Denmark and the European Pirate Party. And now, Blockchain Technologies Corp. is developing an actual voting machine that will record votes using a blockchain.

"We're going to embarrass Diebold"

Diebold sold it's voting machine interests in 2009, but the debacle continues.

Source
Unverifiable Diebold Touch-Screen Voting Systems Reportedly Flipping R to D in Maryland
The first state, along with GA, to install Diebold's 100% unverifiable systems in 2002 are still forcing them on voters in 2014...
As we told you recently, after 100% unverifiable touch-screen voting systems reportedly began flipping votes from Democratic to Republican in Texas, and from Republican to Democratic in Illinois, and then from "NO" to "YES" on an anti-choice measure in Tennessee, there would be more. There always is, as we discussed on Thom Hartmann's TV show earlier this week.

Now it's reportedly happening in Maryland. Again.

Yes, there are still many states and counties out there that have so little respect for their voters that they force them to use these horrible, completely unverifiable electronic voting systems because, clearly, they don't give a damn whether votes are recorded accurately or, more to the point, whether any voter can ever know that any election result actually reflects the will of the voters. Whether these systems fail (as they often do), whether they are hacked (as they easily are), or whether they work accurately, voters can never know one way or another --- and that is the core problem with them.

Nonetheless, these machines are still in use across the country in 2014. One of the very first states to foist them on voters back in 2002 was Maryland, when they installed 100% unverifiable Diebold touch-screen voting systems across the entire state.

Those systems are still being used there today and --- whaddaya know? --- they are flipping votes, according to the state Republican Party which is now demanding an investigation after receiving complaints from "about 50 voters in 12 Maryland counties"...

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Out of the frying pan and into the fire it seems, Iowa is a critical electoral demographic, thank god Microsoft is there to help out. (/sarcasm)

Source
Microsoft is using its cloud technology and tablets in the election process.

In the lead-up to the presidential election, Microsoft Azure is playing a key role in the 2016 Iowa caucuses. A new, mobile-enabled system built on Azure will be used by Iowa precincts to accurately, efficiently, securely and reliably report their voting results on caucus night next year.

The New York City Board of Elections will use 3,000 Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 tablets to enable communications among its polling station team, and in Orange County, Fla., the Office of the Supervisor of Elections gave voters an easier sign-in experience by replacing its aging laptops with Windows tablets. This move has cut average voter sign-in time by 70 percent, greatly simplifying the job of poll workers and increasing the speed and accuracy of election reporting.

It's starting to look like Tablets and Ipads are going to be the next 'voting machines', which is a very Bad Idea.

Source
Pike County may replace voting machines with tablets
MAGNOLIA — Pike County election commissioners say the county could reduce time, money and confusion by replacing its voting machines with tablets.

The Enterprise-Journal reports that they're considering buying 55 tablets that would serve as both voting machines and voter registries. They'd cost about $1,000 each.

Each precinct would get two tablets pre-loaded with the voter rolls and voting software, and the county would buy five more.

Source
iPads may replace voting machines in future elections
NEW ORLEANS, La. (KNOE 8 News) - When you head to the polls to vote in the next Governor's race in 2019, you will get to cast your ballots on iPads, if all goes as planned.

Secretary of State Tom Schedler says he'll ask the incoming administration for John Bel Edwards for funding to cover the cost of the iPads, which he hopes to use to start replacing voting machines in the next three years, in larger areas like New Orleans, Lafayette and Baton Rouge.

If this happens, it will make Louisiana one of the first states to use the technology.

Votes should be recorded on paper, counted by human beings, and verified by all parties. Accountable, and verifiable, anything else is an affront to a truly democratic process.

Edit:

Hart InterCivic (Advancing Democracy) is one of the major producers of Voting Machines now, I've not had the chance to really study the who's who, but here's a link to their board of directors...
www.hartintercivic.com...

edit on 12-1-2016 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: twitchy

Considering the importance of the subject matter here I'm shocked it never got more attention than it did. Though not a member of ATS at the time I remember when all this came out. Where we are now is we have a company based in Spain and run by former Goldman Sachs execs that does the vote tabulation for the US. How messed up is that?

Eta: Ron Paul should have been the Republican nominee in 2012 but for dirty tricks by the Republican party and a complicit media. I believe he would have beaten Obama handily and the US would be on a far different course than it is today.

edit on 12-1-2016 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
Of all the 'conspiracy' topics discussed on here, this above all, intellectually scares the crap out of me. Americans watch 9 billion hours of television a week, between that, working and sleeping, hell they don't have time to worry about the digital erosion our democratic process.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I was looking back through some of the old posts on this thread, my first post that showed all the Diebold Board Members and management's contributions to the Republican Party in 2004 is missing.

Edit:
I found an old copy of the thread, this information is important as it shows how tied into the republican party Diebold was at the time, the figures represent contributions to the Republican Party circa 2004... If memory serves, Walden W. O'Dell actually said publically that he would 'deliver Ohio's electorate to Bush.' (I'm paraphrasing from memory though).

www.diebold.com...
Board of Directors
Louis V. Bockius III (2,4,5)
6/28/00 $15,000.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - RNC
11/3/00 $10,000.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - RNC
10/9/97 $1,000.00 — VOINOVICH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE
10/9/97 $1,000.00 — VOINOVICH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE
Christopher M. Connor Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The
Sherwin-Williams Company
5/22/00 $1,000.00 — VOINOVICH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE
3/30/00 $1,000.00 — DEWINE FOR US SENATE
Gale S. Fitzgerald (2, 6)
President and Chief Executive Officer , QP Group, Inc.
7/12/00 $500.00 — NEW YORK REPUBLICAN FEDERAL CAMPAIGN COMM.
10/12/98 $200.00 — FRIENDS OF JOHN LAFALCE
10/18/99 $1,000.00 — BUSH FOR PRESIDENT INC
Donald R. Gant (1,3,5) Senior Director, The Goldman Sachs Group, L.P.
L. Lindsey Halstead (2,3,6) Retired Chairman of the Board, Ford of Europe
12/22/98 $500.00 — RNC REPUBLICAN NAT'L STATE ELECTIONS COMM.
1/23/97 $500.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - RNC
5/27/97 $200.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - RNC
10/31/97 $500.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - RNC
12/28/99 $500.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - RNC
3/7/01 $300.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE
6/12/01 $200.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE
11/27/01 $200.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE
1/24/02 $500.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE
Phillip B. Lassiter (1,3,6) Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive
Officer, Ambac Financial Group, Inc.
4/16/98 $250.00 — NAT'L REPUBLICAN CONGRESSIONAL COMM.
9/21/98 $250.00 — NAT'L REPUBLICAN CONGRESSIONAL COMM.
John N. Lauer (1,4,5) Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer,
Oglebay Norton Co.
10/10/00 $1,000.00 — DEWINE FOR US SENATE
8/23/00 $250.00 — REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - RNC
3/17/97 $1,000.00 — VOINOVICH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE
Walden W. O'Dell Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive
Officer, Diebold
2/14/01 $2,015.00 — RNC REPUBLICAN NAT'L STATE ELECTIONS COMM.
12/17/97 $1,000.00 — VOINOVICH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE
1/30/01 $3,950.00 — RNC REPUBLICAN NAT'L STATE ELECTIONS COMM.
8/16/01 $500.00 — VOINOVICH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE
12/17/97 $1,000.00 — VOINOVICH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE
6/30/00 $1,000.00 — DEWINE FOR US SENATE
Eric J. RoordaFormer Chairman, Procomp Amazonia Industria Eletronica, S.A.
W.R. Timken Jr. (2,3,4) Chairman , The Timken Company
6/23/00 $50,000.00 — RNC REPUBLICAN NAT'L STATE ELECTIONS COMM.
6/8/01 $100,000.00 — 2001 PRESIDENT'S DINNER - NON-FEDERAL TRUST
3/14/01 $10,000.00 — RNC REPUBLICAN NAT'L STATE ELECTIONS COMM.
8/19/99 $15,000.00 — RNC REPUBLICAN NAT'L STATE ELECTIONS COMM.
11/3/00 $15,000.00 — RNC REPUBLICAN NAT'L STATE ELECTIONS COMM.
2/22/02 $1,000.00 — RELY ON YOUR BELIEFS FUND
6/12/02 $1,000.00 — OHIO'S REPUBLICAN SALUTE
Corporate Officers
Walden W. O'DellChairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive
Officer, Diebold
Wesley B. Vance Chief Operating Officer
8/16/01 $500.00 — VOINOVICH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE
Michael J. HillockPresident, Diebold International
11/18/97 $500.00 — FAIRCLOTH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE 1998
David Bucci Senior Vice President, Customer Solutions Group
11/18/97 $500.00 — FAIRCLOTH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE 1998
James L.M. Chen Vice President and Managing Director, Asia-Pacific
Warren W. Dettinger Vice President, General Counsel and Assistant
Secretary
11/18/97 $300.00 — FAIRCLOTH FOR SENATE COMMITTEE 1998
1/30/97 $250.00 — DEWINE FOR U S SENATE (2000)
Donald E. Eagon, Jr. Vice President, Global Communications & Investor
Relations
Charee Francis-Vogelsang Vice President and Secretary
Larry D. Ingram Vice President, Procurement and Services
1/30/97 $250.00 — DEWINE FOR U S SENATE (2000)
Dennis M. Moriarty Vice President, Customer Business Solutions
Anthony J. Rusciano Vice President, National Accounts
Charles B. Scheurer Vice President, Corporate Human Resources
Ernesto R. Unanue Vice President and Managing Director, Latin America
Robert J. Warren Vice President and Treasurer

edit on 12-1-2016 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I'm going to post a link to a google news search on 'voting machines' for posterity here in the sincere hopes that I'm not the only one following this debacle...
Google News/Voting Machines
Like I said at the start of this thread, "But our vote still counts right? No, sadly they become "circumstantial" evidence of voter intent..." which is now legally OWNED by private companies and tabulated with proprietary software, it has become a Global issue now as well.
Gools was the OP, I think her old avatar summed the situation up.

edit on 26-1-2016 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Here's my initial post on this thread before it got 'edited'.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join