It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS What Are You Playing At? - Thatcher Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Why has almost every thread posted on ATS re Margaret Thatcher been closed down - apparently because too many bad things are being said about a now deceased individual?

Thatcher was a divisive woman whose politics and decisions caused a great deal of hardship for large tranches of the population when she was in power - and led directly to the social, economic and political mess we live with in Britain today. It was her government that deregulated UK banking - calling it 'the big bang' - that ultimately created the big bust the developed world will be paying off for several decades. She is a very important subject meriting full and frank debate.

Similarly many people see her as the best thing since sliced bread - vive la difference - don't close down the debate.

The BBC has published an article, Margaret Thatcher and the Taboo of Speaking Ill of the Dead.

So for goodness sake ATS moderators - if the UK establishment broadcaster can cope with the controversy her life and her death created - why in heaven's name can't you?
edit on 9-4-2013 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Couldn't agree more.

I'd wager that even the compassionless witch herself wouldn't have wanted protection from words.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I completely agree. If we can say the most insulting, disgusting things in regards to a bratty North Korean dictator, I fail to see why people can't do that with Margaret Thatcher.

It's not like she'll be offended. The dead know nothing.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

The irony of this sites cringeworthy motto-deny ignorance.
This thread was in the rant forum,no bickering etc yet still closed down...wait for it....for critising any and everything!
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 9/4/2013 by glen200376 because: forgot link

edit on 9/4/2013 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Im honestly starting to feel shut out by ATS and its policy of shutting down the thatcher threads because people arent being "nice"

There are things to be said that the mainstream media isnt saying so quit playing the great dictator and let the people speak!!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

That's precisely how I'm feeling. I'm a fairly long term member who generally enjoys the lively debate on various forums and simply cannot understand ATS's reaction here.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
One of the moderators very aptly summed this up for me by saying that they don’t have a problem with anyone expressing any opinion it’s just the way they express it.

As such if a thread is full of members saying, she was an awful PM she did x, y and z to destroy this country and as such I won’t mourn her death, then fair enough. Unfortunately it would appear that there is a minority of members on ATS who can’t seem to express a valid opinion such as that without descending into downright offensive posts. There is a huge difference between stating a opinion such as that and posting “ding don the witch is dead” and vandalising every thread with “rust in peace iron lady”. It’s about being civil and ATS has a long history of trying to maintain a high level of decorum with ethos of respect and civility amongst members, I for one am grateful for this and to start to advocate jumping for joy at the death of an old lady is not compatible with this strong ethos.

I for one think it is very unfortunate that the behaviour of a few members led to the threads about Thatcher being shut down, rather I think the mods should have just gone ahead and banned them for a couple of weeks until this all blows over. In saying that though I respect that they have a difficult job to do moderating such a huge website and it’s probably more practical just to close the thread rather than a mass banning.

ATS has a set of established rules that we all know about, if we don’t play by those rules we can either go somewhere else or we just have put up with it. If you want to have a very open and controversial discussion about Thatcher then there are loads of other places on the internet you can do to do just that. I for one am glad that ATS promotes civility, what I am not glad for is the minority of members who ruin the type of threads that OP is discussing. It’s the members fault in my book not the mods.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

People are entitled to their reactions - this isn't fake vindictiveness being displayed by people - these are genuine reactions to the passing of an extremely controversial figure.

I did post on your own thread (re ATS members conduct on this topic) that I have personally known people who committed suicide as a direct result of her policies....and witnessed the consequential suffering of their families. Her passing brings all of that flooding back to many people who will express their pain and anger. If it's expressed in soundbite form so be it. For many, to remember their lives back then in any detail is just too painful to express in any other way.
edit on 9-4-2013 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Deny Ignorance? how about deny free speech! In this instance ATS is as bad as the msm.This is censorship, Pure and simple.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
"Every move she made was charged by negativity; she destroyed the British manufacturing industry, she hated the miners, she hated the arts, she hated the Irish Freedom Fighters and allowed them to die, she hated the English poor and did nothing at all to help them, she hated Greenpeace and environmental protectionists, she was the only European political leader who opposed a ban on the ivory trade, she had no wit and no warmth and even her own cabinet booted her out. She gave the order to blow up The Belgrano even though it was outside of the Malvinas Exclusion Zone—and was sailing AWAY from the islands! When the young Argentinean boys aboard The Belgrano had suffered a most appalling and unjust death, Thatcher gave the thumbs-up sign for the British press.

Iron? No. Barbaric? Yes. She hated feminists even though it was largely due to the progression of the women's movement that the British people allowed themselves to accept that a prime minister could actually be female. But because of Thatcher, there will never again be another woman in power in British politics, and rather than opening that particular door for other women, she closed it.

Thatcher will only be fondly remembered by sentimentalists who did not suffer under her leadership, but the majority of British working people have forgotten her already, and the people of Argentina will be celebrating her death. As a matter of recorded fact, Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity.
"

MORRISSEY.
edit on 9/4/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The rant forum is NOT for the discussion of ATS policy.

Please file an alert and discuss it with staff if you are unhappy with board decisions and staff actions.

Thread Closed.

~Tenth
ATS Mod

new topics

top topics

join