It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media's Handling of Thatchers Death - Small comparison within.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The bbc has been running 24/7 coverage of thatcher's death - As if they were expecting her to rise from the dead and give a speech. During this time, they've been gageing reactions from past and current politicians who all seem to agree that her policies were fantastic and wonderful - changed the country for the better (Pretty sickening considering there all suppose to be on different ends of the scale cons/lib/labour are obviously all under the same umbrella now.)

However i am noting a trend. For every 3 common people they interview, 2 will say how wonderful she is, one will disagree. It would seem to the bbc are somehow struggling to find people who can intellectually disagree with her policies - Try interviewing people north of the Midlands.

Anyhow, the real reason im making this thread is simply because:

When they captured Saddam and killed him, they broadcast pictures around the world as a victory for the people. When Osama bin laden died, they showed american's partying in the streets.

A Former PM passes away peacefully in her sleep and people begin to celebrate, one gathering get's very little mention only reported as "A small disturbance in bristol of 200 or so people, gathering to celebrate her death, had an altercation with the police" Link Here

Why cant 200 people gather to celebrate her death? I thought this was a free society?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Just wait till the funeral, I was in a pub yesterday and parties are being organized already.
I do think it is a north south thing also, she hurt many hard working people and people do not forget.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

They're just brushing over the pain of the working classes and looking at her premiership with rose-tinted glasses. I love how they're focusing less on the policies she brought to this country (and the decimation) and more on how lovely a person she was, someone with convection and passion, a very misunderstood individual!

That is being broadcast globally which nullifies the pain she caused to people north of the Midlands. Its a great injustice and another slap in the face to those who where badly effected by her time in power.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

The Mirror has got it right.

At least all media isn't in favour.

People too young to know, southerners, foreigners and the rich are the only ones singing her praises (with the odd exception).

At the same time, the people who are too young to know shouldn't be celebrating either, that right should be held only for those of us who truly knew what an evil bat she was.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I cannot express how disgusting it is to see people celebrating the death of an old lady, many of those celebrants being just out of school and having not even been even a twinkle in their parent's eyes when she left power.

Regardless of her politics (of which I was against for the record), she was still loved as a mother, sister and aunt and to celebrate and wish her hell is foul beyond words. I truly hope that I do not hate anyone as much as some people seem to be capable of.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

More vids from the Mirror here.

www.mirror.co.uk...

Free milk for all

You can bet the UK's new number 1 will be Ding dong the witch is dead.
edit on 9-4-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodgygeeza
I cannot express how disgusting it is to see people celebrating the death of an old lady, many of those celebrants being just out of school and having not even been even a twinkle in their parent's eyes when she left power.

I agree with the young ones celebrating, but that's it. One could say it was disgusting the lives she destroyed (including suicides) in the 70's/80's...no sympathy for them though huh.

Regardless of her politics (of which I was against for the record), she was still loved as a mother

Yes, because Mark "arms dealer" Thatcher is an inspiring beacon of light for all

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I get why people might have some beef with Maggie, but c'mon, not all the blame lies at her feet. Skargill and the minders Unions who went on strike (without balloting their members, it has to be said) share a fair amount of the blame as well. Up until last year, that enormous scumbag was living in a London flat at considerable cost to the NMU and fought their attempts to kick him out, saying it was his right to live there. He never gave a toss about miners and just wanted to feather his own nest, which he did very nicely.

The rest of the economic reforms she put in place prevented the UK from falling even further behind. Ask yourself this - would you choose to put the UK back to the economic mess it was in back in the 70's and early 80's? Face it, whoever was in charge in the 80's would have had to do something about the mines (and the economy as a whole) - the plan was never to close them all anyway, the Miners Unions and Skargill pushed the whole industry over the edge.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodgygeeza

Regardless of her politics (of which I was against for the record), she was still loved as a mother, sister and aunt and to celebrate and wish her hell is foul beyond words. I truly hope that I do not hate anyone as much as some people seem to be capable of.

Her policies robbed future generations of jobs and prosperity. You want to know where the Jeremy Kyle culture came from i can tell you it didnt happen all by itself. Jezza is a direct result of those government policies brought in by her. Housing crisis, Drop in standard of living, no rights in the workplace, privatized industry that people cannot afford (Gas, water, healthcare) She's done so much more than hurt ONE generation, she's sold even your grandchildren into slavery.

The message here is that people suffered while she was in power - Now the next generation(s) are suffering as a result of those policies.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

The Mirror has got it right.

At least all media isn't in favour.

People too young to know, southerners, foreigners and the rich are the only ones singing her praises (with the odd exception).

At the same time, the people who are too young to know shouldn't be celebrating either, that right should be held only for those of us who truly knew what an evil bat she was.

That article should be winning awards. Speaks volumes of truth. That is exactly why the youth also have a right to celebrate her death, she robbed this country blind.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Uploaded with ImageShack.us" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>
Maggy and her best friend who she spent 11 xmass dinners with whilst in power

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Another one of these threads... facts are she was elected 3 times and she did make Britain as a whole better and stronger country... I understand some people were hurt in the process but not all. My experience of her time as leader was not bad and I'm not rich by any means.

You can't say she destroyed Britain just because your area was hit hard I'm afraid, she had to make tough decisions and that's what leaders do... those hit by her policies will never see it that way and I understand that, try to understand the other side too.

Go and celebrate all you want, I don't see anything noble or moral in that, it will just show you for who you are as a person, no better than the person you accuse.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

And those tough decisions usually screw over the North.

I seen an article somewhere about the rest of England de-evolving from London.....I would vote yes.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Nobody should ever celebrate or rejoice the death of another human being, that goes without saying, but Yiu must understand how hated this woman is in the UK.
I didn't see the threads and would never condone any mocking, rejoicing or whatever in the name of another's death, people really need to think about what they're doing when they do that

But this woman was a nasty, divisive and very much hated woman who runied millions of lives.
You have to understand why people did and are acting the way they are to actually see why these actions are taking place.

She is probably the most hated politician of all time in the UK, yet Americans see her ad this great feminist and champion of women who was a strong leader and mixed it wirhthe best men and won
Funny thing is, it's all true. The truth is always in the middle.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

No doubt the North was hit hardest... but she didn't destroy Britain as I keep on seeing people say. This is why opinion is so split on her and all the threads in the world will never resolve this.

If the rest of the country separated from London where would all the money come from? Londoners sure wouldn't care I'm sure.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
As a northerner, and probably against the grain of the common opinion. I'm glad she died. I'm glad people are celebrating and I'm glad people can find some solace now that she's gone.

For anyone who disagrees, or anyone who finds it in bad taste. Consider that her actions led to millions of people suffering under poverty, thousands unemployed, dozens of towns and cities wrecked by her greedy agenda. Hundreds of suicides and deaths.

Now she's dead. People have EVERY right to celebrate.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by II HAL II
Another one of these threads... facts are she was elected 3 times and she did make Britain as a whole better and stronger country... I understand some people were hurt in the process but not all. My experience of her time as leader was not bad and I'm not rich by any means.

Yes but it wasn't "some" people - It was half the fricking country. Bush STILL got re-elected after his first term and he was an idiot. - Re-election means NOTHING. The britain we live in today - Where living stands have dropped, prices for basic utilities are through the roof, housing crisis, lack of well paid secure jobs can all be traced back to her government. This country has been broken ever since.

You can't say she destroyed Britain just because your area was hit hard I'm afraid,

And you cant say that she did this country more good than harm because other area's flourished.

she had to make tough decisions and that's what leaders do...

She did so, seemingly without regard for the lives her decisions would effect.

those hit by her policies will never see it that way and I understand that, try to understand the other side too.

I might be more inclined when the media stops kissing her ass like she was the best thing since sliced bread.

Go and celebrate all you want, I don't see anything noble or moral in that,

And i dont see anything noble and moral about her premiership - But that's what's being shoved down everyone's throats by the media and the elite.

it will just show you for who you are as a person, no better than the person you accuse.

Except my "crimes" are NOTHING compared the devastation she brought to half of this country. Im not personally celebrating her death, but i refuse NOT to challenge this rosey image the media passing around. She ruined lives and she's getting a funeral with full military honours - How can that be when so many people dislike her? Ahh yes, its because she f**ked the working classes and they're not really apart of Britain, they're just the people who keep it running for you.

edit on 9-4-2013 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
As a northerner, and probably against the grain of the common opinion. I'm glad she died. I'm glad people are celebrating and I'm glad people can find some solace now that she's gone.

For anyone who disagrees, or anyone who finds it in bad taste. Consider that her actions led to millions of people suffering under poverty, thousands unemployed, dozens of towns and cities wrecked by her greedy agenda. Hundreds of suicides and deaths.

Now she's dead. People have EVERY right to celebrate.

I agree people have the right to celebrate, it wasn't her greedy agenda though was it? It was for the betterment of Britain, SHE didn't gain by closing mines etc... the country did and that's the point.

Go and celebrate... it will only harm innocent people/family who cared for her as a human and that's why people who do celebrate are no better.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Her policies robbed future generations of jobs and prosperity. You want to know where the Jeremy Kyle culture came from i can tell you it didnt happen all by itself.

For a start, I am no fan of Thatcher. As expressed in a previous thread I too grew up in a mining town in the North East and know full well of the damage caused to the working class people through that era.

Is it a clear cut case of one evil woman, tearing away the jobs of whole towns for no reason but to relish in causing pain and suffering to poor people? No, it wasn't profitable anymore. Should we really carry on subsidising an industry at the expense of all tax payers just to keep jobs? What good economic sense is that?

There was little help for those communities once the pits closed but the standard of living has improved in those areas since then.

Were the Unions blameless at all in any way? Yes, they were too powerful and ended up becoming harmful to the economic stability of our Country.

Even our car industry became 'a joke' due to lack of supply, purely down to Union interference making our workforce a joke to outward investors.

There are many policies of hers that I don't agree with. Is it all one sided? No!

Those of us that are sickened at the lack of respect for the dead are labelled as Tory, Thatcher loving toffs who view her time in office through rose-coloured glasses. Not true!

Most people that I've witnessed celebrating her death weren't even alive during that era. Sure, hate her policies but respect the recently dead.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I would like to know what alternative was available to her (or anyone) with regards to the state of the economy in the 70's and 80's. Nationalised industry could not continue in its form without change, the simple fact of it is that many were not profitable. Like it or not, business isn't there to provide jobs while ignoring the market conditions in which it operates.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join