It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you sure you want to enoy your pot of Nutella?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Hi Folks, i responded earlier on to a thread that was created by sulaw concerning the theft of a truck load of Nutella in Germany which can be found here : www.abovetopsecret.com...

However, i thought that the info that i had shared could also be the subject of a new thread so that this post can be read by a wider number of members.

So, here i go...

I haven't written this to give out any lessons so i hope some posters will not get me wrong on this and start coming back to me in an agressive manner.

In France (where i live), Nutella is by far the most favourite product that kids and parents alike spread on their breakfast bread or add to their pancakes or just simply dig the spoon into the pot and eat it as it is.

However, what many people do not realise is that Nutella is in fact a quite harmfull product :

The well-known NUTELLA paste contains phtalate which is considered the most dangerous: the DEHP which has been detected by a Federal Environment Office.

The Ferrero Society (manufacturer of Nutella) acknowledge its presence in its products but minimize its toxicity (WELL THEY WOULD WOULDN'T THEY!)

www.sleemy.net...

Not only does Nutella contain DEHP but also extremely high amounts of saturated fats, It turns out that palm oil is a major ingredient in Nutella. The French, who love to smear the creamy hazelnut-chocolate spread on toast and crepes or just eat it with a spoon, account for 26 percent of world’s Nutella consumption :

www.eatingwell.com...

Deadly fats: why are we still eating them?

Hydrogenated vegetable oil has been banned in two European countries

www.independent.co.uk...

Couple this information with the devastating effects that this has on the environment (especially rain forests and the Orang Utan population)

The guilty secrets of palm oil: Are you unwittingly contributing to the devastation of the rain forests?
Does your shopping basket contain KitKat, Hovis, Persil or Flora? If so, you may be contributing to the devastation of the wildlife-rich forests of Indonesia and Malaysia, where orangutans and other species face extinction as their habitat disappears.

www.independent.co.uk...

And this recent article showing how child workers are exploited :

www.theatlantic.com...

All that Nutella full of saturated fats washed down with a nice cold can of high caffeine level and Taurine energy drink... hmmmmmm

Bon appetit

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 9-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Links fixed

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Yes, in the US, amazingly enough, there was a class action lawsuit a year or two ago over Nutella. They had to pay out a few dollars to each claimant. My husband and I are the only people I know who haven't tried it. Literally, everyone recommends it, constantly. Its gone viral.
edit on 4/9/13 by Ameilia because: spelling

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

On the Nutella website they have the first ingredient listed as (sugar); that in itself should be a big red flag to many.

www.nutellausa.com...

I have talked to a few nutritionists and doctors about what is the one food people should change in their diets and avoid and/or eat very little of...and they all say (sugar).

I have never had Nutella; and now I am glad I haven't. It seems to me it is a food source with very little nutritional value (if any); and is full of way too much sugar; which is addicting. It is just not a healthy food source; in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia
reply to post by Rodinus

Yes, in the US, amazingly enough, there was a class action lawsuit a year or two ago Nutella. They had to pay out a few dollars to each claimant. My husband and I are the only people I know who haven't tried it. Literally, everyone recommends it, constantly. Its gone viral.

Hi Amelia,

I think you mean this one from 2012 (although it's not a couple of dollars...) :

Two local mothers from Imperial Beach who claimed Nutella deceived consumers by marketing their product as “healthy” won a class-action lawsuit on Friday.

www.nbcsandiego.com...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 9-4-2013 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Hi Cal,

Thanks for your input,

There is an article on BBC History about how we became addicted to sugar which is quite an interesting read :

We are swamped by sugar. It has crept into all areas of our daily diet, from the sweet treats we award ourselves to family essentials such as pre-packaged loaves of bread.

www.bbc.co.uk...

This video below is pretty interesting and puts it in a nutshell :

And all of those Nutella lovers out there... next time you are digging into your pot, try taking a little time to think about this video :

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

Originally posted by Ameilia
reply to post by Rodinus

Yes, in the US, amazingly enough, there was a class action lawsuit a year or two ago Nutella. They had to pay out a few dollars to each claimant. My husband and I are the only people I know who haven't tried it. Literally, everyone recommends it, constantly. Its gone viral.

Hi Amelia,

I think you mean this one from 2012 (although it's not a couple of dollars...) :

Two local mothers from Imperial Beach who claimed Nutella deceived consumers by marketing their product as “healthy” won a class-action lawsuit on Friday.

www.nbcsandiego.com...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 9-4-2013 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

Yes, that is the one I mean. Looks like the claim deadline has just passed.

Claim Info

Apparently the most a household could claim was 5 jars for a total of $20.00.

Class Members who purchased multiple jars of Nutella during the time periods can submit a claim for up to five jars for a maximum award of $20 per household.

Cheers to the ladies who started the lawsuit, at least now people will KNOW what they are eating, if they choose to eat it.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Silly silly silly!
The human race has been consuming sugar for years, maybe even decades.

The thing we need to avoid that not many people who actually understand is high fructos corn syrup.
Your doctor will NOT tell you that there is a difference either, many just don't know.
Ever since the US allowed this poison to be put in our food supply there has been an "obesity epidemic".
Has nobody put these two things together??

(Edit)
More toward the OP, when I want nutella, I just mix some cocoa powder in my peanut butter.
Close enough for me and ALOT cheaper.
edit on 9-4-2013 by g146541 because: homemade is always best.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Are you sure you want to mix with Peanut butter?

Have a look at the link below, Only 2 facts are true but a fair amount of humour involved :

Dangers of Peanut Butter

Know the dangers, and avoid peanut butter-related death and injury!

www.yourguidetolive.com...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Oh my!!!
I never realized!
On the brighter side I have a few pit bulls who love peanut butter as well and I'm sure would defend the can!
Gitem doggies!!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Rodinus

Oh my!!!
I never realized!
On the brighter side I have a few pit bulls who love peanut butter as well and I'm sure would defend the can!
Gitem doggies!!

Um...

I'mp going off topic again but it's worth considering for the sake of your dogs (i just read your last post and saw the pics... a very touching story).

Sorry to piddle on your bonfire again mate but did you know that peanuts themselves are not considered to be toxic, but all nuts contain fats, which can cause gastrointestinal issues,( vomiting and diarrhea).

Food and treats with high fatty contents can also produce an inflammatory condition of the pancreas known as pancreatitis which if left untreated can actually lead to death of the animal

Most nut products are also heavily salted, which poses a risk for the development of sodium ion toxicosis in large quantities.

An odd peanut from time to time or a spoon of peanut butter... but don't give em the whole pot!!!

RIGHT, back on topic... where were we?... ahh yes, NUTELLA!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Noooooo!

I grew up eating nutella. I first discovered its hazelnutty goodness when I was 10 and had just moved to Germany. It was everywhere. Back home in TN in the 80's it was unheard of.

It has remained a happy childhood memory from Germany ever since. I very seldom buy it nowadays because I am well aware of how fattening it is, so it is a "special occasion" when its in the cabinet. But now...well..my heart is a bit broken to discover not only is it fattening, but has oodles of nasty chemicals in it?

I dont think I can ever look at it the same way now. Kinda like when I found out what mcnuggets really were, or what my wienerschnitzel was made from or got food poisoning from taco hell. It's been over 20 years since I ate weiner schnitzel,10 years since I ate taco hell, and will never eat any of that again. But my precious nutella? This is going to be hard for me

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mijamija
Noooooo!

I grew up eating nutella. I first discovered its hazelnutty goodness when I was 10 and had just moved to Germany. It was everywhere. Back home in TN in the 80's it was unheard of.

It has remained a happy childhood memory from Germany ever since. I very seldom buy it nowadays because I am well aware of how fattening it is, so it is a "special occasion" when its in the cabinet. But now...well..my heart is a bit broken to discover not only is it fattening, but has oodles of nasty chemicals in it?

I dont think I can ever look at it the same way now. Kinda like when I found out what mcnuggets really were, or what my wienerschnitzel was made from or got food poisoning from taco hell. It's been over 20 years since I ate weiner schnitzel,10 years since I ate taco hell, and will never eat any of that again. But my precious nutella? This is going to be hard for me

Ok Ok folks, everyone knows the saying "too much of a good thing is bad for you", so, just to show you all that i am not here to ruin some of the good things in life that you appreciate, here are a couple of recipies for homemade "Nutella" where you can customise and put whatever sugar and oil in that you deem neccessary :

www.myhappydessert.com...

greatist.com...

www.hungryhealthyhappy.com...

www.52kitchenadventures.com...

ENJOY.....

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

thanks!!! I was already fearing the "why is nutella banned from our kitchen?" conversation I was going to give my kids later on. They grew up in Germany too, and it has been one of the few "comforts' from "home" that they still get to enjoy here in the US.

now I just have to get ahold of the hazelnuts, but the rest of the recipe looks really simple!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Sugar isn't bad!

Geesh people. Sugar is fine if you don't over consume it. At least it's not HFCS otherwise I'd have to toss out my jar of Nutella.

I have had the same jar of Nutella since November. It is tasty esp with strawberries.
I usually slice some strawberries and dunk them in the Nutella.

I like me some Nutella but I don't eat it daily let alone weekly. It is good as a treat for me and that is it. I don't really like it on bread but fruit oh yes!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Sugar isn't bad!

Geesh people. Sugar is fine if you don't over consume it. At least it's not HFCS otherwise I'd have to toss out my jar of Nutella.

I have had the same jar of Nutella since November. It is tasty esp with strawberries.
I usually slice some strawberries and dunk them in the Nutella.

I like me some Nutella but I don't eat it daily let alone weekly. It is good as a treat for me and that is it. I don't really like it on bread but fruit oh yes!

You are one of those people who are sensible then... and i for one take off my hat to you.

Sadly in certain countries over here in Europe, a pot of Nutella will roughly last between 1 to 2 weeks in a household with an average of 2 kids... (in some households a pot does not even last a week!)

Take into consideration the other popular high fat and high sugar free products that are consumed in an average household as well as Nutella and that leads up to a hell of a lot of fat "n" sugar!

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 9-4-2013 by Rodinus because: phrase added

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Great thread Rodinus~! SnF~ After the great Nutella hi-jack of 2013 thread, I was talking about it to some co-workers and we got on the discussion of how terrible the stuff is for you.

I guess the old line of "Moderation is Key" still holds true.

I am also a sugar addict but I can honestly say I have never once eaten Nutella.... Now Marshmallow Fluff on the other hand..... NUM NUM"S! With Penut butter~ Oh dear.... But then again I haven't had fluff in a long time either.

Very informative and thank you!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Interesting reading Rod
Thanks for the info, Luckily enough I can't stand the stuff

Cody

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
Interesting reading Rod
Thanks for the info, Luckily enough I can't stand the stuff

Cody

Thanks Cody,

Hmmmm i don't know why but you replying to my thread has given me an idea about creating another thread about the dangers of alcohol

Only joking mate

Kindest respects as always

Rod

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Hi Rodinus

thanks for posting the info on Nutella - I am wondering where the detected Pthalates is coming from (your entry does not specify this). Most canned foods and plastic stuff contains pthalates anyway, so the problem is much more extensive and not just limited to one food item like Nutella.

Your remark about saturated oils being bad does not appear to reflect the latest research. It seems that we have been conned by the powers-that-be into believing that saturated oils are bad. Quite the contrary in fact. The lie has been deliberately propagated to protect the polyunsaturated oil industries (most of these oils are actually toxic and anti-nutritional) so may I urge you to investigate the matter so as to discover it for yourself - check out articles by Dr Mary Enig and Sally Fallon, and those articles by the Weston Price Foundation (just google for them on the website). Also, check out Dr Bruce Fife's articles, book on Coconut Oil.

Here's a quote from an article by Stephen Byrnes, PhD, RNCP: "Are Saturated Fats Really Dangerous For You?"

Myth #6: Saturated fats and dietary cholesterol cause heart disease, atherosclerosis, and/or cancer, and low-fat, low-cholesterol diets are healthier for people.

"Although it is commonly believed that saturated fats and dietary cholesterol "clog arteries" and cause heart disease, such ideas have been shown to be false by such scientists as Linus Pauling, Russell Smith, George Mann, John Yudkin, Abram Hoffer, Mary Enig, Uffe Ravnskov and other prominent researchers. On the contrary, studies have shown that arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats, particularly polyunsaturated ones, and not the saturated fat of animals, palm or coconut..."

"The major population studies that supposedly prove the theory that animal fats and cholesterol cause heart disease actually do not upon closer inspection. The Framingham Heart Study is often cited as proof that dietary cholesterol and saturated fat intake cause heart disease and ill health. Involving about 6,000 people, the study compared two groups over several years at five-year intervals. One group consumed little cholesterol and saturated fat, while the other consumed high amounts. Surprisingly, Dr William Castelli, the study's director, said:

In Framingham, Mass., the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol ... we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, [and] ate the most calories, weighed the least and were the most physically active."

"In fact, the body needs saturated fats in order to properly utilize essential fatty acids. Saturated fats also lower the blood levels of the artery-damaging lipoprotein; are needed for proper calcium utilization in the bones; stimulate the immune system; are the preferred food for the heart and other vital organs; and, along with cholesterol, add structural stability to the cell and intestinal wall..."

Amazing revelation, isn't it... yet how many have heard of this research report? You can easily guess the reason for the info blackout.... conspiracy to keep the masses believing that the PUFA stuff are good and when people become sick, it will be even better biz keeping them sick because that will surely create a strong demand for pharma drugs.

edit on 9-5-2013 by Rextiberius because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2013 by Rextiberius because: (no reason given)

top topics

join