It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey of 15,000 Law Enforcement Professionals about U.S. Gun Control Policies

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
www.policeone.com... -Gun-Control-Policies/

PoliceOne.com conducted a survey in March regarding individuals in Law Enforcement and thier views on the gun legislation.

The survey was promoted by PoliceOne exclusively to its 400,000 registered members, comprised of individually-verified law enforcement professionals. Only current, former or retired law enforcement personnel were eligible to participate in the survey.

Now, lets get to some of the results.

•86 percent feel the currently proposed legislation would have no effect or a negative effect on improving officer safety

•Similarly, 92 percent feel that banning semi-automatic firearms, or “assault weapons,” would have no effect or a negative effect on reducing violent crime

•Likewise, 80 percent feel that legally-armed citizens would likely have reduced the number of casualties in recent mass shooting incidents

Basically, an overwhelming majority of those in law enforcement who took this survey are against the mess trying to be pushed through in Congress. I pretty much agree with the majority of these officers.

Will this be shown on the MSM? Hopefully. Cant say I wont be suprised if there's not even a peep about it. Anyways, just thought I would share this with everyone. (Not sure what forum is best for this, so feel free to move)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Believe it or not, most cops are anti big government, in the sense that they recognize that the people who are creating the policithawed paperwork are insanely out of touch with real world situations!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

inb4 anti-gunners try to do damage control and say that the survey is "biased" or police officers don't really know what they're talking about.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

inb4 anti-gunners try to do damage control and say that the survey is "biased" or police officers don't really know what they're talking about.

In addition to that, Im guessing it wont be long until the "all police are bad 24/7 no matter what" people start flaming this survey

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Upon my initial examination, I approve.

However, I will need to study the source and the results a bit closer.

Stay tuned.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
LEO's understand what is actually effective in reducing crime.
Hands down, the best tool available to society is deterrent.
Guns are an effective deterrent to most criminals.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
62% wouldnt enforce them?

I'd like to believe that. I really would. But if I had a nickle for every time I've heard an LEO say something along the lines of "I know it's stupid but it's the law and that's my job" I'd have a hella lot of nickles.

They'll do whatever they have to do to ensure that sweet pension then when they retire they might take some token vocal position against all the nonsense they were enforcing for that prior 20-30 years.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

I've been in one uniform or the other for over 32 years and held almost every position in law enforcement and I can tell you that restrictions on firearms will only have a negative effect on violent crime...

It really is all about the Feds wanting more power and control.. Absolutely nothing about our safety..

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
62% wouldnt enforce them?

I'd like to believe that. I really would. But if I had a nickle for every time I've heard an LEO say something along the lines of "I know it's stupid but it's the law and that's my job" I'd have a hella lot of nickles.

They'll do whatever they have to do to ensure that sweet pension then when they retire they might take some token vocal position against all the nonsense they were enforcing for that prior 20-30 years.

actually most officers are not stupid per say and realize that pension is nothing more than a pipe dream, they will never see. i think it's safe to say at this point no one will be seeing any pensions nor retirement and that that will probably be the least of our collective worries.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

I've been in one uniform or the other for over 32 years and held almost every position in law enforcement and I can tell you that restrictions on firearms will only have a negative effect on violent crime...

It really is all about the Feds wanting more power and control.. Absolutely nothing about our safety..

But, Would you enforce gun laws that were passed, even if you didn't agree with them?
Many officers may not like or agree with a particular law, but they do follow them. I really hope this isn't one of them.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The County Sherriffs association formed against the anti constitutional legislation is a great sign, and THIS little piece of news (if verified) give a citizen hope the LOCAL LEOs will stand by the people and the constitution.
Federal LEOs couldnt perform any restrictive activity without co opeperation i dont think.
Ironic that DHS is arming the local cops so heavily in the face of this poll isnt it?
nudge nudge

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I am a PoliceOne member. I am an active LEO and support the 2nd. I encourage citizens to arm up all the time. We need your help and you have every right to protect yourself.

As far as pensions go, while yes in certain big city/state agencies (NYPD, CPD, CHP) you can earn quite a large pension. However at an average department in the country the pensions aren't the greatest unless you are high up command staff. There are obviously more regular patrol officers than command staff.

For example I work in a city department with a population of over 100,000 people. The maximum I can earn as a patrol officer after 20 years is $50,000. My retirement is 75% of my highest salary with NO COLA. I also have to pay 100% of my insurance. Not that great. Especially since I have not seen a raise in over 4 years (I know everyone is in the same boat). What this means is that most likely I will never max out in my salary. Unless I see a retro raise of 4+ years I will probably retire at 75% of $42,000.

That being said it is a defined benefit and can last my whole life. So for what I put in I get much more back. That being said I and most of my coworkers realize that this type of retirement is unsustainable. That is too much burden for the tax paying public (including myself) to sustain and is not fair.

In conclusion to think that a majority of LEO would confiscate guns or imprison citizens to save their "sweet" pensions is simply not true. However that is my opinion. I may be wrong or I may be right. What I do know is that I won't participate in unconstitutional orders. That is fact. I won't risk my morals or my life for a measley $39,000 a year.
edit on 9-4-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: added

edit on 9-4-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
By the way. PoliceOne is a very reputable website within the LEO community.
I believe their poll results.
edit on 9-4-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: added

edit on 9-4-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I went ahead and fowarded the link and a bit of the story to the local news. Maybe they will pick up the story, maybe not. The way I see it if no one tells them what is happening they cannot report on it.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Much respect Semper.

I agree with you on that statement. The feds also want money and more guns. The more money they get the more guns they can get and the cycle continues.

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
i wonder if a lot of police feel pressure from higher ups to not speak negatively about gun control laws.
while i'm not much for guns myself, they do keep criminals from feeling safe about robbing someone and that is a good thing.
not being sure if someone has a gun or not would be at least some what of a deterrent.

more police need to speak out against laws like this, tell everyone that disarming the populace will cause more harm than good.
what is the point other than to weaken us? what do these laws fix? nothing.

fix the stupid mental health system if you want to fix something that will prevent mass shootings, like they claim this law will.

for all the police, thanks for keeping us safe by putting your lives on the line everyday! i hope this doesn't end up getting you guys killed, but sadly that may be the only way to wake up people to how these laws can hurt us.

my brother in law and sister are cops and i hope it never gets that point

stay safe out there guys!
edit on 9-4-2013 by demongoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Most cops and soldiers are people like us, not politicians and the elite in government. The police have their job to do, to bring criminals to justice. Trouble is the Judicial system with their lawyers get the criminals back on the streets without enough punishment for their crime. This is a big problem. Why even bother picking them up and bringing them in when they beat you home in the end. I bet it is a frustrating job being a cop and seeing this happen.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

My friend you hit the nail on the head. The judicial system drops the ball all the time. In my case it was a major contributing factor which caused a co worker to be killed in the line of duty. The person that did it should have never been on the streets having a record of violent crime as long as he did.

I think sometimes people forget law enforcement and the court system are two seperate branches of government. If the judicial system actually did their job and locked up violent criminals opposed to pot dealers perhaps our murder rates would decline significantly. Perhaps then there would be no need for any more gun control legislation.

Just a note. In my 8 years as a LEO I have only encountered a person with a semi auto rifle on a couple of different occassions. Once a MENTALLY UNSTABLE man with an AK 47 pointing it at houses and people in his neighborhood. No shots fired, man taken into custody without an issue. The other couple times were AK 47's being used by drug dealers in drive bys against other drug dealers. All of those guns were stolen. Go figure.

Knock on wood I have never been threatned by a semi auto rifle in my career. I honestly can't think of anyone in my department who has been threatned by a semi auto rifle. Handguns yes, by CRIMINALS who don't follow laws.

edit on 10-4-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: added text

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

When the speed limit was 55, lots of citizens disregarded it and drove 65-75mph.

You could tell that LEO did not enforce the speed limit 55 rule because they only wrote just enough tickets to keep federal funds trickling into state coffers. If they were at or a little over their quota, they just let people drive in excess of the limit.

LEO today are not any different than thirty years ago.

top topics

join