It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation X has suffered massive loss of wealth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I lived off Hoover in a Trailer Park next to the Elementary School. Later we moved to Garden Grove, Los Alamitos and eventually Cypress.

I learned how to raise kids from movies and books. I overheard my daughter tell a friend, "I don't have any daddy issues, I have grandma issues."

To the posters who say "you didn't build that!" You are right, I didn't invent the internet. I did spend 7 years of my life, working for AT&T, putting in the "green ring" (the broadband telecommunications backbone for North America).

As to our parents generation: Their free lovin' key-parties were a huge inspiration to us. Most of my peers who did get married are going on 15+ years of stable marriage. I am celebrating my 17th anniversary this year. There was a lot of sick stuff in the mentality of my parents generation. They shared drugs with us from a relatively young age (to bond with their kids?) My fathers lifestyle was so sick, he and his lovers enjoyed forcing a strict no clothing rule on my sister and I when we were 7 and 10 years old. I woke up twice to a grown man laying on top of me, passed out, naked or nearly so.

It's no accident that whenever I see a documentary on the boomers, their lifestyle, their music, or their "counterculture" I nearly have a panic attack. As a grown man I understand that not all of them were sexually or emotionally abusive, and many were fine parents, but as a group, they were degenerates who never accepted personal responsible for any of their actions -- especially their divorces.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
As a Gen Y'er (88), reading this thread made my dread exponential. I know there's a lot of smart people out there, hopefully together Gen X & Y can fix things together in the coming decades, before the world gets any worse.

I just want to have children of my own, but it seems that would be an irresponsible choice with the state of things now-a-days.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
SO, the world has been completely mangled by the people who were born between 1965 and 1978 ? Oh thank you, I've avoided being "GEN Anything"! But I can understand why there are so many companies that are in deep financial straits, they must be hiring the same kind of 'HR' experts as the woman in the video! Seriously, your not supposed to label people right? So, the best way to build a cohesive work force? Have a bunch of people stand up in a room with they're fellow employees insult them, and blame them for destroying the world for everybody else. All the evil vile things that have destroyed the planet occurred between 1965 and 1978 and by people who were born in the USA. It's what you 'learn' from listening to your teachers instead of actually cracking a book and learning something!Wow, I guess we're boned, but I know that's not true. None of my children, who are now working, tax-paying adults, who arranged for they're own college education, and paid for it themselves, blame anybody for the mess the world is in. We all live here. We're all responsible. And the human race is the only living thing on this planet that is actually WORTH saving. Wanna know why? We have opposable thumbs !
It's absolutely true !

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
Late Gen 'X' here...

I see a lot of people complaining about how their parents turned their backs whe they came of working age. I guess, when I think about it, my mother did also, when I was 18, and I thank her every day for doing so. She taught me one of the most valuable things in life when she did that. She taught me how to be independent. Of course it took a couple of years, but they were truly great years. I did as I pleased and when I felt like getting my act together, I did. I didn't sit around and whine about noone helping me out. I didn't need help because I had learned a valuable life lesson. Independence. Look it up.... they don't sell it at Target.

MOTF!

Gen Y'er here, my mother an X'er had this same exact attitude towards me. Let me say this, it doesn't work well in today's society. Especially since wages don't equal the same amount of buying power it did when you were 18. When my mom turned her back on me I was snip out of luck. Thankfully I had good friends who let me crash at their places. Otherwise I would have been homeless. The woman didn't even give me enough time to find a full time job. I went away to college, came home for 4 months and she was like sink or swim time. With student loans looming and no job. Thats not the way you teach someone independence, not that I needed a lesson as I paid for school on my own. Falling on hard times taught me no valuable lessons. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Thats just something crappy parents tell themselves so they can sleep at night. I got my life together within a year of that happening but starting out was much harder for me. Parents who actually give their young adult children guidance and let them save up money before venturing out into the world give their kids a MUCH better chance of success. Or at least a better place to start from. Rant over.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I've noticed that the Boomers only seem to be interested in what
NPR tells them is the important thing.

For instance a Boomer who listens to NPR may have great empathy
for Capuchin Monkeys, or endangered Elephants.
But their own children are treated like animals or beasts.

The worst part is the newer generation seems to be the same.
They have no emotions at all unless it comes from
some connected-device they have.

Put these two together
monkey-lovers and a generation that calls themselves gorillazs
and Generation X begins to be totally erased
from ever having existed at all.

Being a human
isn't enough for either of those brainwashed generations.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 10-4-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Funny to see some childhoods similar to mine... it's not only me that remembers the parties, the orgies in the livingroom, getting the two year old stoned to laugh at him..... It's really no wonder I married once for life and am stern about drugs with my kids. What nonsense it all was.

If my mother was still alive today, and I brought this up, she would be self rightiously lecturing me on what a strong personal struggle she went through to change her lfie completely, and I should be in admiration and awe for that reason! I should also thank her for leaving us alone when we were little, because that is what made us so independant

My real father just kinda hms and hahs and suddenly has someone at the door, or his cell is ringing.

I think, if either of them had even once been able to say, "you know, we were young and caught up in some dumb ideas, that stuff was a mistake and I am sorry." I think I would be able to forget about it. The truth is, I do forgive them, but whenever faced with another person their age claiming moral supremecy, it stirs me to object.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
Late Gen 'X' here...

I see a lot of people complaining about how their parents turned their backs whe they came of working age. I guess, when I think about it, my mother did also, when I was 18, and I thank her every day for doing so.

There is a difference between your mother making you be a man at 18 and someone's parents completely turning their backs on you when you're 14.

No, she just moved out of state when I was 18. Her back was turned way before that.

MOTF!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Have you guys read "The Fourth Turning; An American Prophecy"?

I read it many years ago and it is one of my favorite books. The theory is very well structured and explained, and the predictions, based on the theory, have been amazingly accurate. This includes the financial crisis. (and the events of 9/11)

I like the way it shows the way each generation brings something of value to the society too, and how int he bigger scheme of things, it all makes sense, makes a picture that continues...

I would recommend it to anyone.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Originally posted by fictitious
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Boomers had it pretty easy but still had that sense of pride and hard work instilled in them. Then they had kids, gen x, and spoiled them rotten. Now gen x is spoiling gen y even more rotten.

I think that Gen X kids are the official LATCH KEY KIDS! Yeah Boomers had it easy! Free Love and everything that went with it!!

I don't know about you, but my parents were NEVER home. I had to use the "hidden key" to get into the house. I had to darn near raise my younger brothers!! My parents were boomers. They would buy us stuff yeah, just so we could entertain ourselves while they were gone. We had to raise ourselves without parental guidance. It wasn't just me. It was all of my friends. All of us who came up in the 70 and 80s, especially in Southern California......

Did you learn something positive from the experience? That's all that should matter. I'm sorry, but EVERYONE in EVERY generation has their problems. I can barely read this thread because thinking life should be storybook perfect with perfect parents and a perfect childhood and adulthood is absurd to me.

If I'm going to jump on the complain boat, here is something to think about:

What about generation Y's kids? My friend's kids, my nieces and nephews. These kids stay at at YMCA after school care until 7pm. Their parents drop them off at 7am to stay in before school care. If they aren't in school, they are at day care. They DON'T have the ability to be a "latch key kid" because their parents are terrified that the world is too messed up to leave them at home alone until they are 15. They are afraid their kid is going to get murdered or raped home alone, and now they fear the same in schools.

The parents also have to work several jobs to keep afloat and live in a crappy, dangerous apartment. The kids aren't allowed outside to kick a ball in the yard or parking lot because they are afraid of getting kidnapped, even in the nicest of neighborhoods. Generation Y's kids are prisoners. These kids will grow up to be worse mentally and physically than generation X ever was! Maybe yalls parents weren't around, but you certainly had freedom. These kids have no freedom and no parents around.

Blah Blah Blah. Let's just live as good as we can people! Every generation is going to blame one that comes before and the ones that follow. Who cares what your parents did?? It's time to change your own life and quit blaming a crappy childhood and the boomers. Here is the thing, even generation X is still young. Everything can get better, can change. But here's the catch, it looks like none of you want to do that. Lot's of y'all just point the blame and lay down and wallow. Everyone's life is crazy, dysfunctional, unfair, mediocre, sad, depressing, happy, unlucky, lucky, full of hate, full of love at certain times. Get used to it.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Everyone's life is crazy, dysfunctional, unfair, mediocre, sad, depressing, happy, unlucky, lucky, full of hate, full of love at certain times. Get used to it.

Bad luck eh?
Everything you are complaining about can be explained in the opening post.

Generation X is not your bad luck.

We are your "children under the stairs",
and we are your "flowers in the attic."

Did you learn something positive from the experience? That's all that should matter.

Really !??!

Then restitution of all our stolen trillions of dollars should be a good
learning experience for all of you.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I disagree with Heinlein...the natural condition of man is balance...poverty and wealth (or their non metaphorical, more environmentally-grounded counterparts: scarcity and abundance) are unsustainable extremes.

We can philosophically debate what the parameters of balance mean in contemporary western society, if you want, but I don't want to derail the thread. I will say that the cellphone and television, while wholly unnecessary to our existence, have become somehow so relevant to our being that they entered the category of poverty. In other words, those two "wants" have moved into the "needs" column regarding man's existential classification (even in many so-called third world locales).

I would argue that the monthly additional bills caused by the cellphone (for one example) off-set the family food budget, keep many people in the red, while at the same time promoting the wealth of the few (those directly gaining from that industry, ie, the telecom CEOs).

So, I think that the lifestyle desired by the masses (including gen x), the same one pushed by the wealthy few, is one of abject poverty.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikegrouchy

Everyone's life is crazy, dysfunctional, unfair, mediocre, sad, depressing, happy, unlucky, lucky, full of hate, full of love at certain times. Get used to it.

Bad luck eh?
Everything you are complaining about can be explained in the opening quote.

Generation X is not your bad luck.

We are your "children under the stairs",
and we are your "flowers in the attic."

Did you learn something positive from the experience? That's all that should matter.

Really !??!

Then restitution of all our stolen trillions of dollars should be a good
learning experience for all of you.

Mike Grouchy

How many trillions of your own personal money was stolen? I'd really like to know.

Is money the only thing that matters to you, Mike?

Are you well fed and clothed? You obviously have a nice wifi connection that provides high speed internet to do plenty of complaining on the internet. Do you crap in a nice toilet that flushes? How about your kitchen sink, is there running water that comes out when you turn the knob? Probably, since we know you can afford wifi, unless you're stealing it....but you wouldn't be so hypocritical to steal something like that when you are so angry about "stolen money" after all. Have you had the privilege of having a job that pays any type of money at all, or are you a unnamed slave who has no rights at all?

With your disposition, I'm inclined to think you live in squalor with no rights and no possessions to call your own. Nothing in front of you to be thankful for whatsoever. Is this true? If so, I fully apologize for trolling your thread with my insincere words.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The mere existence of my generation seems to offend.

All I'm hearing is "how dare you speak up!"
followed up by a ton of accusations that = "Silence!!!"

/chanting continues

Ice-age, Ice-age, Ice-age

So cold it burns.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Well, I guess my questions will never be answered.

Good luck to you, Mike. Your handle suits you well, which I'm sure you're aware, and I'm sorry you will never feel joy in this life. Maybe the next will treat you more "fairly". Or even maybe worse so you know the difference.

Either way, seriously, good luck moving forward since you're living in the past. I mean that in the nicest way possible, really I do.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Generation X didn't loose it's wealth it was just redistributed to the upper 1%. Our jobs were sent over seas so ceo's could increase their bottom line. Corporate profits are at all time highs. The best part about trickle down economics is when they pee on your leg and tell you it's raining.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Mike

Great topic. I've often thought about this problem myself but never identified it as generation xyz. I'm in my 50s and I know that the generation below me are going to have life a lot harder economically. We are seeing diminishing living standards right in front of our eyes and no one is really admitting it. The pensioners of today have had it really good.

By the way I thought that HR person was really nauseating.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikegrouchy
Out of all the artificial distractions and divisions in the world,
what nobody has noticed is
the quiet snuffing-out of my generation.

Mike Grouchy

Oh I am not sure I would say "no one has noticed" but its not clear if we are reporting it more or less than in the past. I mean as Gen Xer, I've felt the bite. I was born and Educated in New Zealand, when I started University, it was free, by the time I finished my undergrad I was paying a lot of fees (nothing like in the USA). I did a post grad degree (PhD) as we were told that is what the "nation needed" ... I come out the other side, and the jobs never had been created, so I went overseas (the USA) to use my skills, and I get settled in just in time for the 2008 financial crisis, and it struck my industry (Pharmaceutical and fine chemical manufacture) hard (outsourcing to China). Who gets laid off? Gen Xers. We were middle management, lower upper management, etc, expensive to keep, and expendable (either with Boomers who were still lurking, or GenY/Next kids who wanted a chance.) Back in New Zealand ... still no fricking jobs, what jobs there are incompetent academics run.

To be honest there is nothing NEW there. What IS new is the level of communication we have (internet, social media, heh conspiracy fora etc). We get to bitch louder.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

edit on 19-9-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I don't think you can really say the entire generation has lost a great deal of money.
Just look how the banker's kids have made out.
If you think they will ever appreciate the money they will get when "dear old mommy and daddy" check out, you had best think again.
Come to think about it, it would not surprise me if the next generation of bankers were not more crooked and greedy than their parents.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

teamcommander

I don't think you can really say the entire generation has lost a great deal of money.
Just look how the banker's kids have made out.
If you think they will ever appreciate the money they will get when "dear old mommy and daddy" check out, you had best think again.
Come to think about it, it would not surprise me if the next generation of bankers were not more crooked and greedy than their parents.

You are being too nice about this.

We Gen xer's didn't just get hosed, we got set on fire and then had the flames put out with an icepick..

Remember we are the generation they started practicing abortion on.
Half of us didn't even make it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join