It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation X has suffered massive loss of wealth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded -- here and there, now and then -- are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck".

- Robert Heinlein

Last year,
when ever I tried to discuss this...
there were just too many other topics going on.

This passed through the news mill ...
Huffington / Generation X has suffered massive loss of Wealth
in June 2012

I blame the boomers.
I blame the gen-y, and later...

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A Gen-Xer's Rant: What's Wrong with My Millennial Employees?

inc.com / Whats wrong with my Millennial Employees?

I'm not the only one
who was ignored for talking about this.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Generations: have #genx friends w higher degrees who went to soup kitchens in #recession, while #geny friends toured world

Quoting: twitter july 2, 2012

And I'm not the only one
who is being ignored while noticing this.

From Twitter,
July 4th 2012

Generation X uncovers #Higgs meanwhile Generation Y complains about Comic Sans

edit on 8-4-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Wow,
Look at all the banks we bought
and got nothing for it.

FDIC / individual bank list / bank list

Over a hundred so far.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

We have watched America go from the middle class utopia at birth to the post-Reagan land of decline and despair, where even the good leaders who helped were pervs and the atmosphere turns distinctly Weimarish.

Wall Stree Journal Blog / Generation why ?

Isn't it interesting that the more this country
makes Gen x suffer,
the more this country seems to suffer.

You know what I say.

Burn baby burn, disco inferno!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

This passed through the news mill ...
Huffington / Generation X has suffered massive loss of Wealth
in June 2012

One of the best comments from the article...

some epic timing, to be sure. not only was gen x right in the prime home buying years, but they were also young enough to be investing more aggressively than boomers wrt the stock market. same thing applies to the tech bubble. i'm sure many gen x'ers took a right cross to the jaw in 2000 with the nasdaq collapse, then got a knee to the groin in 2008. and it gets worse! gen x is a sandwich generation between boomers and echo boomers. the boomers took a hit too, so they will be hanging onto their higher level jobs with a death grip unlike any we've seen. then to top it all off, when and if gen x'ers DO get a taste of life at the top of the corporate ladder, hordes of hungry echo boomers will be right on our heels, peeling our fingers back, making us let go, and tossing us into the street in our 60s. and by that time, any ss/medicare benefits that exist will kick in at like 72+.

Yep,
stick a fork in us.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

The reason the boomers despise gen x and y is because their mom's and dad's were kids during the Great Depression. They were raised to appreciate what they had because their parent's, as kids, had to work hard to support their siblings and whole families. Boomers had it pretty easy but still had that sense of pride and hard work instilled in them. Then they had kids, gen x, and spoiled them rotten. Now gen x is spoiling gen y even more rotten.

I think it's hilarious humans despise and complain about their own creations. It's ironic.

It's time we hit a wall again and are forced to be more humble. Let's not complain that we got the short end of the stick and start being better people. Life is cyclical. All good things must end. Hardships develop character.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Out of all the artificial distractions and divisions in the world,
what nobody has noticed is
the quiet snuffing-out of my generation.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
There are plenty of reasons for my generation to be in the financial situations we seem to be in collectively. I'd rather not blame anyone. There are plenty of successful Gen X'ers, and if anything the general apathy that was rampant when we were young is really the culprit. After all, one's past does invariably affect one's present.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

You bring up a good point.

All of your money, is now being diverted into massive entitlement programs, that do nothing to bolster the workforce.

What isn't being slipped sideways into that arena, has been sleight of handed to prop up failing institutions, that most of which, should have failed.

The last pennies being squeezed out your, and all of our pockets. Is going to create wave after wave of burgeoning bureaucracy, that will insure that Obamacare will be an ever growing monster, with the power to claim any stray pennies that fall through the cracks....forever.....and ever...

Go to Washington, and yell at those in power..you want your stinkin' money back.

Des

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

edit on 8-4-2013 by Osiris1953 because: Stuff.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious

I think it's hilarious humans despise and complain about their own creations. It's ironic.

Maybe..
Just maybe, we invented the best music.
Maybe..

But did any of us get to own it?
Or is that only for the Boomers as well.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
There are plenty of reasons for my generation to be in the financial situations we seem to be in collectively. I'd rather not blame anyone. There are plenty of successful Gen X'ers, and if anything the general apathy that was rampant when we were young is really the culprit. After all, one's past does invariably affect one's present.

thefiscaltimes.com/ disproportionally Affected

Have you read some of the comments from some of the articles linked?

The other nearby small towns fare no better with our age group, some are pure horror stories. The generations before and after us didn't have it this bad.. Even the old timers who have memories of the great depression looks at everybody in my age group with sadness and a bit of fear..

...or...

Three of my childhood pals committed suicide in the last year.
8 of my old classmates from our small town school system (24 for the whole class) have been maimed and disabled in these damned wars.
3 have died in these wars.
1 work related death, 2 of cancer, 1 of heart attack.
Many of us have been or are currently in prison.
Only 4 of us live a "normal respectable life".
Of those 4 only 2 can be considered financially secure.
I'm the only one who accepts that it is about to get MUCH worse.

Quit being the ignored generation.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikegrouchy

Maybe..
Just maybe, we invented the best music.
Maybe..

But did any of us get to own it?
Or is that only for the Boomers as well.

Mike Grouchy

Music, yes. However new stuff over the past year or two is really great too.

I just honestly think that if people would spend as much time doing something about it, rather than complaining, time would be much better spent.

I'm Generation Y. I went to college solely off of earned scholarships. I bought my first house at 21. Now I'm buying my second one only a few years later. I have no debt. I invested my money into stocks and mutual funds. Have I lost some? Um yes, life is a gamble. I'm here for the long run, so why complain about every bump in the road. If I did that, I'd convince myself I was driving down a mountain at full speed. I could complain that my generation gets crapped on because no one respects that, but you know what? I DON'T CARE. My "generation" doesn't label me. Why do you let it label you?

We all have a chance at greatness, regardless of money, stocks lost, pensions being melted away, social security running out, etc. Those who become enamored with money matters will die a broke fool. Instead of ripping people apart and pointing the blame, look at yourself. The only question should be, "what can I do to be better and not become a simple statistic in a dumb news article?"

As my favorite license plate reads, kwitcherbichen!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

All of your money, is now being diverted into massive entitlement programs, that do nothing to bolster the workforce.

You are being too nice about this.

We Gen xer's didn't just get hosed, we got set on fire and then had the flames put out with an icepick..

Remember we are the generation they started practicing abortion on.
Half of us didn't even make it.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 8-4-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Is this what you say to the starving holocaust victim?

As my favorite license plate reads, kwitcherbichen!

We have borne the burden of that X
we have carried that X
and been crucified on that X

Now we are back from the dead.

My message to the boomers and their grandkids is this.

Half measure are your doom.
You never should have stopped with only aborting half of us.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

The reason the boomers despise gen x and y is because their mom's and dad's were kids during the Great Depression. They were raised to appreciate what they had because their parent's, as kids, had to work hard to support their siblings and whole families. Boomers had it pretty easy but still had that sense of pride and hard work instilled in them. Then they had kids, gen x, and spoiled them rotten. Now gen x is spoiling gen y even more rotten.

No, the Boomers hated the X Generation as soon as they gave birth to them, because they were a hassle to have around when you're trying to explore your freedom of expression, sexuality, and drug use......when you're fighting for the right to abort, to take the pill, to avoid having children... this rejection of their offspring happened early on and was expressed by the big blockbusters of that time- "The Exorcist", "Rosemary's Baby", "The Omen", "Carrie".

The X'ers never stood a chance. The Boomers were narcissistic spoiled kids that turned into self rightious narcissistic adults.... I never witnessed such a great work ethic- except in their judgements on others. They themselves were great at finding ways of making a living with lot so fast talk and little action. The way spoiled kids learn how to manipulate the world to get all they want.

Xers are most famous for doing hard work, usually underpaid and unappreciated. Their kids are over protected and not used to such hard work because mom and dad were striving to do it instead- to set an example their parents never did (of doing instead of lecturing), and protecting them the way their parents never did.

In fact, generations swing back and forth, and the grandparents always have more in common with their grandchildren than their own children. As an Xer, I relate to and understand my grandparents- of the Silent generation. They struggled, had a hard time, lived in the shadow of their GI parents boasting of their heroic nature. They know what it is to have a small ego and just do what you have to do.

My (Boomer) parents relate to my kids, who are as protected and cherished as they themselves were, and are full of creative ideas to express (but little actual sweat and action to go with it). They are so much the same!

It is expected that we Xers are going to have a continuing of our down and out luck and struggle all our lives- you recreate what you know. This was predicted. Especially as we hit the time of our power, as we reach the age of fifty and are the ones calling the shots, you know we are going to create a world that fits our experience- one in which we have no protection, we are not liked or appreciated, and we have to just not waste time and precious energy crying about that! Survival is more important.

Seeing things as they are is important, but in my opinion, spending a lot of time on hwowthey 'should" be instead is just a distraction from what is important in the moment. But then that is exactly the sort of pragmatic down to earth opinion an Xer would have. I am not much for dreaming and idealism. I'll let my kids do that part when it is time to rebuild.
edit on 8-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Tough luck, Generation X: Only half of wealthy Baby Boomers to leave money for their kids...and ONE THIRD would rather give it to charity

Daily Mail / 2012 / Tough Luck

Yes!

This is the story of our lives.

The day has come for the Boomers to be made aware of it as well.

House flipping BoomerTards have created their own impending doom.

And if their grandchildren get swept up in the Tsunami,
so be it.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Remind me which generation X is

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

No, the Boomers hated the X Generation as soon as they gave birth to them, because they were a hassle to have around when you're trying to explore your freedom of expression, sexuality, and drug use......when you're fighting for the right to abort, to take the pill, to avoid having children... this rejection of their offspring happened early on and was expressed by the big blockbusters of that time- "The Exorcist", "Rosemary's Baby", "The Omen", "Carrie".

The X'ers never stood a chance.

Yep.

Here is one Boomer trying to explain it in an HR training environment.

Mike Grouchy

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join