It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson about UFOs and Abductions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

He says a lot of profound things in the video.

And while he keeps it humorous you can sense that he is not trying to ridicule and is actually open to the possibility of alien visitation.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
He's one of my favorite astrophysicists. A very smart man indeed.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Good find, really smart dude and can also be pretty funny (I follow him on Twitter)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Great video. I love Neil Degrasse Tyson... funny, and amazingly intelligent. Also he frequents The Daily Show, which is points in my book.

"anything that you pull off of a flying saucer that crossed the galaxy is going to be interesting"

"Roswell flying saucers came half way across the galexy and cant even land on earth?"

lol.

His qualification for "evidence" are spot on.
edit on 8-4-2013 by SPACEYstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
He makes a mockery of the truth so, not too impressed with the guy.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Well yes I agree we probably do need some sort of tangible evidence before science should accept the idea of aliens visiting Earth. But like I've said before, the chance of getting that proof from a species which could be thousands or millions of years more advanced than us with the ability to travel across the galaxy or maybe even between galaxies is slim to none.

It's not as easy as just stealing an "alien ashtray" off the UFO, that's a gross exaggeration and underestimation of their intelligence. However there are many abductees whom claim to have been implanted with strange devices and then had those devices surgically removed and analyzed, and many of analysis results are quite odd. So if you believe those people then that is some sort of tangible proof.

But at the end of the day I personally don't require as much proof as science does. I can look at the history of mass sightings and many of the famous UFO cases, and much of the testimony presented by high level individuals such as those in the disclosure project, and I can personally be 98% certain that some sort of ET species is visiting Earth.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Well, I find him a bit condescending and obnoxious. Unfortunately, I agree with everything he said. Everything he said is pretty much common sense. I didn't hear anything too profound. He definitely captures your attention so I did sort of enjoy it.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I really enjoyed this vid! Thanks for sharing. Embedded it for you.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

I can personally be 98% certain that some sort of ET species is visiting Earth.

Tyson is talking to you and you did not get it.
Bring us some evidence other than your 98% certainty.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

The truth?
That's ... bold, especially right after watching the video.

How can we know it's the truth, if all we have are stories?
I admit that I am very interested in those stories and in my opinion it is likely that we are visited by extraterrestrials, but I am in no way certain.

You seem to be very certain. Do you have proof for "the truth"?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Xenoglossy

Will you give us a list of the lot of profound things?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by leostokes

Tyson is talking to you and you did not get it.
Bring us some evidence other than your 98% certainty.

Oh I got it perfectly thanks. I'm not trying to prove anything, that's why I said it's my PERSONAL OPINION. I'm allowed to believe it with 98% certainty if I wish. But I understand the fact science requires 100% certainty based on solid evidence and tangible proof. I was making the point that my own personal opinion is allowed to differ from the opinion of mainstream science. My personal opinion is based on many years of research and countless hours of study in this field. I don't believe the things I believe on a whim, nor I am saying anyone else has to believe any of the things I believe.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Thank you for your explanation. Scientific truths are not universally accepted when they are first presented. The Pope had Galileo jailed for saying the earth moves. But the evidence he presented is widely accepted today. The Catholic Church admitted its error on this point only in the 20th century. My point is that evidence is a requirement. I see from your detailed explanation that you also see that evidence is required. Pardon me because I missed this point on first reading of your post. Regards,

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The guy is an arrogant asshole.
He patently ignores all other evidence but testimony.
Id say hes a shill.................

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by leostokes

Will you give us a list of the lot of profound things?

I'll be happy to.
I'm sure all of the following will be quite trivial for your superior intellect, but keep in mind how many posts here on the forum are completely DESTROYED by the points on this list.

- remember what the U stands for, in UFO
- don't go from "I don't know what this is" to "It must be an alien spaceship"!
- eyewitness testimony is the LOWEST form of evidence that exists
- the human brain is easily tricked, especially our perception abilities ( --> see Optical Illusions )
- photographs are useless as evidence because of Photoshop
- something that you could test in the lab, to see whether it is human in origin or not, would be REAL evidence ( --> there is NONE of that so far)
- the fact that someone wears a badge of some sort (or is a pilot, or whatever, ...) doesn't make his eyewitness testimony somehow "better"

We now have a history of about 65 years since Kenneth Arnold first reported Flying Saucers. Countless reports of UFOs, countless reported abductions. You would expect that we would have at least one artifact by now - something not of this world.

edit on 9-4-2013 by Xenoglossy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling

What other evidence is there?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

What truth?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Id say hes a shill.................

I'd say there's some arrogance.

I'd also say that anyone in his position not in agreement with "ETH" would automatically be labeled "shill" and "disinfo agent" by true believers. But then science really isn't about belief, is it?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

He has far too much to say and nothing interesting, what has he experienced himself. Nothing !

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
He says eye-witness testimony is the lowest form of evidence. But what if there are dozens of witnesses to the same event seeing it from various angles in broad daylight, as in the Westall case, with 200 witnesses (teachers as well as students) who saw two flying discs at close range, one of which touched down and left a physical trace, followed by the appearance of a goon squad that intimidated the witnesses and confiscated the camera and film from a teacher who had taken some pictures of the objects, which has never been returned and the photos never made public even though that particular national government claims to be releasing all its UFO files?

Doesn't the level of evidence go up with the number of witnesses? And what if you add radar confirmation? Some cases have as many as five radar operators to corroborate the stories of eye-witnesses. Doesn't that boost the level of evidence? What about the numerous physical traces?

Don't tell me, "Steal an ashtray next time you're abducted" if you claim that multiwitnesses, multimode sightings and refusal on the part of governments to release gun-camera footage taken by jets scrambled to chase the phenomenon count for nothing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join