It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korean satellite orbits over U.S.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

All modern vehicles are equipped with multiple microprocessors...without which they would not run (or transport diesel to the power plants)...

Yes, and replacing said parts after an EMP means trucks run again, and we all get back to our lives after the interruption....

We'd be living like the Amish for 10+ years!

What about all the nuclear plants melting down, with no back-ups and no cooling systems?!?

I think you're underestimating TPTB's willingness to sacrifice N Korea for the greater goal...

Maybe three years, tops. Pockets will recover even quicker (smaller towns). I don't doubt it would be a major SHTF event...but a temporary one....and NK will NOT be the ones to do it to us.

I fail to see how knocking us back to Amish life for years would be in line with TPTB's goals... Such self-sufficiency would be completely counter to their alleged goals.

But, it's a moot point anyhow. The satellite is dead and tumbling in orbit, and was nothing but a veiled ICBM trajectory test in the first place. I have zero fears of the NK satellite.
edit on 9-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Signals

All modern vehicles are equipped with multiple microprocessors...without which they would not run (or transport diesel to the power plants)...

Yes, and replacing said parts after an EMP means trucks run again, and we all get back to our lives after the interruption....

But I would have thought in the interim an enemy would unleash everything they had, knowing many of the defences would be down.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ken10

Unleash WHAT?

Most folks fail to realize the distance and logistics involved in either NK or even China for that matter, attacking the US. Simply put, neither has the ability to mobilize enough forces across this distance to invade, nor enough nukes to counter defenses (and NK can't even reach us).

If they worked as advertised, then the kind of EMP weapon discussed would be somewhat devastatingly effective on society, but they'd get repaid in kind, and so works just as MAD does with nukes. But NK has never tested anything of this nature, and their track record for getting it right first out the gate is 0.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by penninja

We will jam it.... it's not like stopping the signal to a single North Korean Satellite would be very difficult, probably a myriad of ways to handle this your talking about very sensitive timers, my guess is there is a substantial lag ranging from a "few seconds at worst to minutes or more at best from signal to detonation.... quick and easy.

Incorrect.
As the sat passes over its home country (NK) their uplink signal can (and will) be far stronger than anything we can generate off shore. They will know exactly when the sat will pass over the target point in the US. Its a simple matter to tell the sat to detonate on date x at time x.

Our best option is to use a anti sat missile just after their sat leaves Chinese monitored space. By the time it comes back into monitored space its just bits and pieces. Whos to prove we did it?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

reply to post by ken10

Unleash WHAT?

Most folks fail to realize the distance and logistics involved in either NK or even China for that matter, attacking the US. Simply put, neither has the ability to mobilize enough forces across this distance to invade, nor enough nukes to counter defenses (and NK can't even reach us).

If they worked as advertised, then the kind of EMP weapon discussed would be somewhat devastatingly effective on society, but they'd get repaid in kind, and so works just as MAD does with nukes. But NK has never tested anything of this nature, and their track record for getting it right first out the gate is 0.

Well we are looking at scenario's are we not, IF this satellite was an EMP weapon then it would only make sense to set it off if you had made provisions to capitalise on the devastation with an after attack.......No ?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

I'm sure if it was really thought to be a threat we'd simply use the midcourse GBI defense measures of the BMDS (Ballistic Missile Defense System) to destroy the satellite, but really, no reason to destroy what is essentially space junk. For all we know, we are the ones that made the satellite unresponsive in the first place...though I still vote for it being window dressing.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
reply to post by penninja

We will jam it.... it's not like stopping the signal to a single North Korean Satellite would be very difficult, probably a myriad of ways to handle this your talking about very sensitive timers, my guess is there is a substantial lag ranging from a "few seconds at worst to minutes or more at best from signal to detonation.... quick and easy.

Incorrect.
As the sat passes over its home country (NK) their uplink signal can (and will) be far stronger than anything we can generate off shore. They will know exactly when the sat will pass over the target point in the US. Its a simple matter to tell the sat to detonate on date x at time x.

Our best option is to use a anti sat missile just after their sat leaves Chinese monitored space. By the time it comes back into monitored space its just bits and pieces. Whos to prove we did it?

And that would set a precedent that could see everyone shooting each others sats down !

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ken10

Well we are looking at scenario's are we not, IF this satellite was an EMP weapon then it would only make sense to set it off if you had made provisions to capitalise on the devastation with an after attack.......No

Sure, but only if you were CAPABLE of doing so. That's my point...they aren't. They don't have forces or weapons that can reach us and do anything appreciable to capitalize on it.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Satellites hover around the entire planet everyday from many countries just the way our own (US) satellites hover around other countries. Nothing new.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There is only one nation in the world who has ever used a nuclear weapon and I think there will only ever be one more member...or maybe we keep it exclusive.

The satellite is not out of control, that is your own propaganda machine. Are they invading the US, no, but they sure as hell could cause issue and make things A LOT worse

What if the satellite is there to deliver a chem or bio weapon? It comes down out of control and releases a virus we could never attempt to contain. Maybe it comes down to show us...if that satellite hit the Denver metro area lets say, it is like throwing a ball over the fence to a big dog...testing it...

Now, if I was them, I would hit the SE US with an EMP if I could get one in that circling nightmare. Shipping and CENTCOM. Cripple he ability to run a current war on one front and start another behind you around the globe? Two very different but suddenly deadly fronts. All that technology is gone.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

The same questions could be asked about any non-suspecting satellites from other nations. Its a crap shoot until it really happens. When something does happen, I'm sure the response would be severe and intense as well from US. We can speculate all we want.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

The satellite is not out of control, that is your own propaganda machine.

These reports were WAY prior to the current events...but right after it launched. Also, it was confirmed by astronomers from many different nations and groups. In fact, if you have access to a really nice telescope, you could verify it for yourself.

Plus, you're assuming that after three failed attempts to even get one in orbit, that now they've suddenly got a fully functional new gen weapon up there, while they tool around in 50's planes, tanks, and subs? That's quite a stretch....

Now, if I was them, I would hit the SE US with an EMP if I could get one in that circling nightmare. Shipping and CENTCOM. Cripple he ability to run a current war on one front and start another behind you around the globe?

And what happens to the attacker? (EMP'd if we're nice, nuked if we aren't....if you were NK, would YOU play that card? I didn't think so...)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

The satellite is not out of control, that is your own propaganda machine. Are they invading the US, no, but they sure as hell could cause issue and make things A LOT worse

wow......so South Africa and the UK is the USofA's propaganda machine?

I mean they've been observing how it's visible magnitude is fluctuating wildly (meaning it's tumbling all around on it's center of gravity).

Something that can be verified by a very, very large number of amateur astronomers........

I guess they are all in on it, eh?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I mentioned it a while back yesterday, but bears repeating...

EVERY single site or story talking about NK having this EMP weapon ALL leads back to a Dr. Pry, who is trying to sell his book folks. Don't get suckered.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

How sure are you that that crazy idiot does not have a bomb of the type that can be mounted on a rocket and sent nto space ? How is it that they can't come by the information that their best friend China has . Our politicians and Military has always underestimated the enemy . That idiot in N Korea only cares about keeping Face . I'm not sure how far past that it goes .With a shot into space to detonate over the West half of America the two EMPs would destroy all of America .We are very vulnerable now days and our military knows it . Such an attack could easily be accomplished by ship in the Gulf of Mexico and shoot out of an open cargo hold . We would not have a chance to respond to stop the missile from reaching altitude and detonating I'm pretty sure the North Koreans can get their hands on a ship.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

Maybe they can? Let's assume the worst, and say he has 20 ICBMs that he can send to us, all at once. This is a MAJOR leap of faith, but just for fun....

First, they must get through the PAC-3 batteries in SK, Guam, Japan, etc. Then, they must get through the Aegis SM-3s. Let's be generous and say that half get through (and that's real generous, since the PAC-3 had a near 100% success rate in Iraqi Freedom). Next, they encounter the midcourse defenses (top of their arc), GB-1s. Lets still be generous and say half get through. Now, those 5 remaining missiles need to run the same Aegis and PAC-3 gauntlet in the terminal stage, as they head to their US targets.

Now you can see why I'm not so worried, right?

Such an attack could easily be accomplished by ship in the Gulf of Mexico and shoot out of an open cargo hold . We would not have a chance to respond to stop the missile from reaching altitude and detonating I'm pretty sure the North Koreans can get their hands on a ship.

I doubt they'd have something launch from a ship. The real strategy here would be to smuggle a nuke in a container on a container ship, and simply blow it up in the harbor. That is a REAL threat, but in this thread, we're strictly talking about satellites and other weapons from space.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
After looking at the photos of their sub "fleet" and the tumbling satellite that has spawned this thread it brings humor to my mind.

Makes me wonder if NK uses the James Belushi movie "1941" as a training film.

Seriously though... I worry much more about Seoul and the South Koreans more than anything North Korea can do to the US.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I doubt they'd have something launch from a ship. The real strategy here would be to smuggle a nuke in a container on a container ship, and simply blow it up in the harbor. That is a REAL threat, but in this thread, we're strictly talking about satellites and other weapons from space.

Toggling one off in a harbor, bay or large river is probably their best use of a small, somewhat undependable weapon. It amplifies the destructive power several times over.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Sure, but it would also mean the complete and wholesale destruction of him and his regime, and for what, giving the US a black eye? Even an insane person isn't going to make that trade.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

However, it's a golden opportunity to do one of our old tricks - shift the blame. Having postured about it, Kim is now the immediate suspect if anything should happen.

If you didn't LIKE Kim a lot for some reason, or wanted the US to go after NK, all you'd have to do is pop off a little nuke in the Potomac and we'd immediately take care of your problem for you.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join