learn more

Today, I am Ashamed to be a Member of ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+67 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Today Baroness Margaret Thatcher died, she was a mother, a wife, a friend and to some a role model. She was also the former prime minister of the UK and many in this country actively hated her politics and polices.

And today she died in her old age of a stroke and then something else sad happened; the nasty people of ATS came out to spread their vulgar and disgusting remarks. I will not name names or threads, the people responsible know who they are and they should be ashamed. It’s not just ATS to be fair, the mass of sheeple on my Facebook and Twitter done the same but I honestly expected more of my fellow members of ATS.

It would seem that expectation was unfounded because today I saw a very nasty side to a few members of ATS that made me feel ashamed to be a member of the same community as these sick individuals. Regardless of anyone’s political disagreements it is not an excuse for to jump for joy over her corpse. As individuals, none of us I would hope would ever cheer as an old lady dies. Yet today because Thatcher was a public figure who lead this country over 20 years ago some of the less that civil members of our community thought it fit to post some of the most vile remarks I have ever had the unfortunate experience to read. These nasty people all came oozing out of the woodwork with their vulgarity and cruelness to cheer with joy at an old lady they had never even knew.

As a fellow member today I hang my head in shame for the first time since Sandy Hook and I have come to realise that there are some very cruel members on ATS. Today these members have shown themselves for what they really are.

I for one despised the political stance that Thatcher supported and I actively hated many of her policies that hit my family hard. But to turn a political view into such venomous hate and joy over hear death, by disrespecting the value of a human life and its passing, regardless of who that individual might have been, I believe is to only diminish my values and political believes. It would seem that some of my fellow members do not my value human life like the rest of us do or our respect for the dead.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I am sorry you feel this way, but nevertheless, understand completely your reaction.

Perhaps I could offer this: People such as this lady have both a public and private persona. They may be perceived and in reality, vastly different. Not everyone understands. We live in times where you can not only please not everyone, you really can't please anyone. and it takes the bravest to stand by and try to stop the impending crises, and upon reflection, this is easily misinterpreted, as "history" has a way of being erased and replaced.

I respect your feeling of loss.

+57 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
oh the humanity. seriously bro if you feel that bad about how some of the people responded about thatchers passing and their feelings towards her, get a job in a old peoples home and really get that warm fuzzy feel about what its like to help people that are forgotten about, otherwise stop trying to stir the pot.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It's terrible Maggie Thatcher died as I liked he a lot. However, I know she was not a perfect human and politics will cause different users to see her in a bad light. It's understandable where many are coming from in their words. However, I do wish more were respectful.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

As an American, I never had to deal with any of her 'rule' domestically. Even so, I thought that some of the comments were very rude. It was like they were talking about Hitler, FFS!

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PLAYERONE01

get a job in a old peoples home and really get that warm fuzzy feel about what its like to help people that are forgotten about, otherwise stop trying to stir the pot.

Ohhh please….

I am a nurse I work with the elderly and dying day in day out, perhaps you should take up some of your own advice and you may gain a little bit more respect for the value of human life and its passing and understanding at my disgust at the responses of many of my fellow members.
edit on 8-4-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I can definately understand, it's pretty sick, I read some of the posts in that thread. But as your name implies, you just experianced the othe rside of the coin.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I agree with you on the subject of hatred, but I doubt if it's ATS specific.
Surely you could go anywhere in this nation today, and find the same dividing lines being drawn and the same sentiments being expressed?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
OP, vulgur people exist. You should be happy you ( apparently ) live a life where you don't have to come face to face with them and thus have only now met them safely through the internet. I say that because thick skin is a must in this world. Kindest regards, stay at ATS and raise the level of maturity and kindness please.. Peace
edit on 4/8/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

+65 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Oh don't be so pathetic.

Why shouldn't people express their feelings towards this vile person who destroyed so many people's lives?

I for one, amongst my many family members will be celebrating her passing but mourning the fact that her disgusting policies are still alive and well in the UK.

It is the only time in my life when I have felt a wave of pleasure on hearing about someone's death.

She did nothing for this country except advocate greed and selfishness.

No words can express mine and millions of others hate for what this woman was responsible for so why should we have to show her any respect when she showed none to us.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Not that many people on ATS are like that. I don't believe in badmouthing anyone after they die no matter what they have done. Let the family mourn in peace. I'm sure she wasn't liked by everyone but neither is anyone.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I completely agree with you. Shameful behavior by some.

But, please, don't throw the mantle of shame, on all the shoulders here on ATS. We have a *majority* of common sense, ethical, compassionate people as members.

I alerted one reprehensible thread. As I'm sure many others did. There is no room in our beloved forums, for such vitriol.

Des

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

Dude I am more than experienced in dealing with societies less that civil members, I am just shocked to find them on ATS where a expect a slither of intelligent discussion not vulgar rubbish.

I suppose like every group ATS has its bad apples and today we have seen them raise their heads.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

but I honestly expected more of my fellow members of ATS.

Why

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Today Baroness Margaret Thatcher died, she was a mother, a wife, a friend and to some a role model. She was also the former prime minister of the UK and many in this country actively hated her politics and polices.

Policies which in turned ruined thousands of lives, drove people into poverty - schemes that made them pretty much work for free so big corps lined their pockets. She wasnt out for the people, she was looking out for her and her gang only.

yeah its not nice that she died and left loved ones behind, but I'm not one of them. I'm from the north, my family was directly impacted by her stupid policies. Heres a Facebook status from my uncle:

if anyone out there who has ever had to suffer the indignity to go to a food bank in their lives will know why i am not upset one little bit on the death of maggie thatcher and i had to have pass me downs to go to school in i was only kid dressed as a japanese sniper

My gran & grandad had 6 kids - imagine coming home and saying you don;t have no income and in fact, you aint going to have a job for a while because there aint any jobs.

She lined the elites pockets, she was a major problem. I understand peoples anger, though I don;t agree with some of the vile ATS comments. That is why I will star & flag your thread, because it was wrong to say some things that have been said - But I do understand the hatred.
edit on 8-4-2013 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I have a feeling it may be that same reprehensible thread you mention that has got me so riled up but really these disrespectful comments are all over these threads about her death just now.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some of them have gone a bit far though.

I myself will not be mourning her. She did England - Ireland relations no good at all. I say this as an Irishman who has lived and worked in England and never had any trouble doing so. Met some of the nicest people and made great friends there.

And although I will not be expressing my regrets that she has died I will not partake in the mud-slinging and vitriolic criticism that has been going on today.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I grew up in the North of England, and have to say that my working class dad, from a mining family has done very well out of it, allowed to buy his council house, that is now 28 times the price he paid for it.
Although as a staunch Labour supporte, he would never admit it.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Some members did have good things to say about her...I was one of them.

Here is what I said:

I think she had a witty way with words; here are some quotes by her:

"If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.
Margaret Thatcher

Link: www.brainyquote.com...

I read some of the comments about her in a couple of other threads; and it seems to me that venom was spewing forth from several people.

edit on 8-4-2013 by caladonea because: fix grammer

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I for one despised the political stance that Thatcher supported and I actively hated many of her policies that hit my family hard. But to turn a political view into such venomous hate and joy over hear death, by disrespecting the value of a human life and its passing, regardless of who that individual might have been, I believe is to only diminish my values and political believes. It would seem that some of my fellow members do not my value human life like the rest of us do or our respect for the dead.

Yup, I understand. That's why now I may read the titles of 20 threads but only open 4 or 5 of them and of those only read past the 1st few pages in 1 or 2 of them. Its for the exact reason you say. Its because I don't want deal with the amount of middle school level taunts, aggression, flames etc that go on.

Its the reason why I haven't opened any of the Thatcher threads at all. I knew what kind of venom would be in there.

Many people seem to have lost (or never gained) the ability to disagree with someone's views and still respect them as a person or have any level of caring or understanding toward those that may not hold 100% of the same views as they do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join