It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Items That Shouldn't Exist (OOPARTs)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by demongoat
because unlike scientists, the conmen profit from telling us what we want to hear, just like the media.

My sentiments exactly. Very well put. I was thinking this morning about what they say about the 'Anti-Christ' deceiving us with his smiling face...or words to that effect, anyway, it is becoming increasingly as though, these days, you are demonised for having the audacity to dig deeper and take responsibility for your own education and learning, rather than merely accepting that you have no control and should wait to be spoon-fed knowledge. The libraries are closing, falling into disrepair, because nobody reads books anymore, which ties into what Galad says up there. The library of Alexandria, that many on this site are always lamenting the demise of, was no doubt destroyed because no one thought to defend it, or that one person, who still saw the value in the written word, was overwhelmed by the mob with the mentality of victimhood that sought to destroy what it couldn't be bothered to understand.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Nan Madol is not an OUT OF PLACE ARTEFACT.
It can be described as a place about which we do not have much information as to the reasons, ways & means to its construction.
It doesn’t mean that the Aliens or some uber super duper advanced civilization constructed it. It is just that we don’t know.
The Acambaro Figurines can be considered as a Hoax.
Waldemar Julsrud was not an archaeologist. He was a hardware salesman. He accdidentally came across the figures while riding a horse. So, this gentleman offers money to the local farmers for every figure they find and bring to him. What do the farmers do?? To make an easy buck, they make these figures, plant them in the ground, make motions as if excavating and finding them, selling them off to Julsrud for money.
Who describes this tale? Not an archaeologist, Not a scientist, but a young-earth creationist named Dennis Swift.
The area where the figures were found eas excavated by Archaelogist Charles C. DiPeso, on the behalf of the Ameind Foundation and he made the following comments

• The surfaces of the figurines were new. They were not marred by a patina or coating of soluble salts characteristic of genuinely old artifacts from the same area. The owner said none of the figures had been washed in acid. Edges of depressions were sharp and new. No dirt was packed into crevices.
• Genuine archeological relics of fragile items are almost always found in fragments. Finding more than 30,000 such items in pristine condition is unheard of. The excavators of the artifacts were "neither careful nor experienced" in their field technique, yet no marks of their shovels, mattocks, or picks were noted in any of the 32,000 specimens. Some figurines were broken, but the breaks were unworn and apparently deliberate to suggest age. No parts were missing.
• "The author spent two days watching the excavators burrow and dig; during the course of their search they managed to break a number of authentic prehistoric objects. On the second day the two struck a cache and the author examined the material in situ. The cache had been very recently buried by digging a down sloping tunnel into the black fill dirt of the prehistoric room. This fill ran to a depth of approximately 1.30 m. Within the stratum there were authentic Tarascan sherds, obsidian blades, tripod metates, manos, etc., but these objects held no concern for the excavators. In burying the cache of figurines, the natives had unwittingly cut some 15 cms. below the black fill into the sterile red earth floor of the prehistoric room. In back-filling the tunnel they mixed this red sterile earth with black earth; the tracing of their original excavation was, as a result, a simple task" (Di Peso 1953, 388).
• Fresh manure was found in the tunnel fill.
• Fingerprints were found in freshly packed earth that filled an excavated bowl.
Link

Valid Questions asked regarding the Figures :

If the figurines really were based on actual dinosaurs, why have no dinosaur fossils been found in the Acambaro region?
    Why did no other Mexican cultures record any dinosaurs?

The Map of the Creator
The Map of The Creator is nothing but a big fat slab of clay , all cracked up just like clay does and some stupid pseudo whatever-ian decides to use for his or her deliberate pareidolia!!
Regarding The Aluminum Wedge of Auid , there is no information available regarding this object. All of the information are from conspiracy websites and Ancient Astronaut Theory websites. Nor are the test reports available for the dating of the object. It has not been examined and reported by scientists and if it had been , it would have been in the Journals.

It is a nice effort from your end, smileygirl, but please do research on the topics before you post them because some of them are hoaxes.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It is interesting how many of these "artifacts" are discovered and lost through time. Mainstream media never grasps the importance of these artifacts because they are not time sensitive to the history we were taught to believe as it happened.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevineWisdom
These are the types of things that make my mind wonder...
If our civilization where to reach it's peak tomorrow and suddenly collapse, how much of our knowledge would survive 10,000 or 50,000 years from now? If the next civilization that arose within that time frame had developed a new language, I can imagine that they would be speculating on the remnants of what they dug up from our lost civilization just like we do now. I think that knowledge can easily be lost in time. It is my personal belief that many civilizations have risen and fallen over several thousand perhaps even millions of years and I'm pretty sure that our civilization isn't the most advanced of them. While all we can do is guess and try to imagine how the ancient people did things and what kinds of tools and technology they had, some day tens of thousands of years from now a new civilization may be wondering that of us!

see the problem with this assumption is, we have found evidence of the level of technology of our ancestors going back thousands of years, hundreds of thousands of years and even millions.
we have found no sign of any evidence above a paleolithic level of tech, if we can find tech 50 thousand years into their future, no doubt another intelligent species would find remains of our tech 50 thousand years into ours.

how can you claim that? where is your evidence? there isn't any evidence that any civilizations existed that long ago, there have been societies but they were neolithic and paleolithic and we found them.

thing is, a civilization from 10 thousand years ago would still have remains, and would leave evidence of their way of life, there are areas in the middle east that have been occupied for longer than that, and we find remains.

if a new species rose up after we wipe ourselves out in 50 thousand years, they would find a lot of our remains, buildings,cars, plastics, depending on how long ago we die, newer tech that we develop.
this depends largely on how it was preserved, they wouldn't know what it is and just like us have to guess sometimes and hope they find something to explain it.
heck i bet we could if we wanted to, create a way to preserve a huge amount of information about ourselves, if we wanted to. what we know about our ancestors is a lot of time an accident, rather than intentional, we are the same way, we don't think about that far into the future.

Most of information in more modern times is stored in books or on computer hard drives and CD's and things of that nature. Do you really believe that our buildings won't crumble, our cars won't rust and wither away, and our technology will survive the ravages of time? As I stated before, It is MY PERSONAL BELIEF. Nothing more, and nothing less. The only evidence or proof I need for my opinion on this is that knowledge can be easily lost over a long period of time and I feel it would be naive to think, as old as the earth is, that we are the first modern civilization to arise in such a vast time scale. We only know what we're told about ancient civilizations and I also believe we're not being told everything there is to know.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
JEEZ!

120 flags for this thread?

lol.

Just watch this two min video, for 10 Unexplained Discoveries. WAY more interesting.

]

You know, it's really unnecessary to ridicule a thread simply because you don't find it interesting. Why bother posting at all?

i was actually contributing.. Did you watch the short video?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
JEEZ!

120 flags for this thread?

lol.

Just watch this two min video, for 10 Unexplained Discoveries. WAY more interesting.

edit on 9-4-2013 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

What's the nickname for someone named Richard again?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by Harte

Always remember there is a little X in the upper right hand corner.
It's there for your protection.

In truth, I would say that it's there for your protection!

Harte

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

My sentiments exactly. Very well put. I was thinking this morning about what they say about the 'Anti-Christ' deceiving us with his smiling face...or words to that effect, anyway, it is becoming increasingly as though, these days, you are demonised for having the audacity to dig deeper and take responsibility for your own education and learning, rather than merely accepting that you have no control and should wait to be spoon-fed knowledge. The libraries are closing, falling into disrepair, because nobody reads books anymore, which ties into what Galad says up there. The library of Alexandria, that many on this site are always lamenting the demise of, was no doubt destroyed because no one thought to defend it, or that one person, who still saw the value in the written word, was overwhelmed by the mob with the mentality of victimhood that sought to destroy what it couldn't be bothered to understand.
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

I would agree with this, all of it.

The ironic thing, is this thread was an attempt to better understand these out of place artifacts. Several posters have demonstrated the problems with these artifacts, which is wonderful. What isn't so great are the few who've tried to demonize the thread and/or its participants for daring to question the established perception of archaeology.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The ironic thing, is this thread was an attempt to better understand these out of place artifacts. Several posters have demonstrated the problems with these artifacts, which is wonderful. What isn't so great are the few who've tried to demonize the thread and/or its participants for daring to question the established perception of archaeology.

Even more ironic is the knee-jerk reaction of the people here denigrating archaeologists once they discover that there are people on this site that know that the so-called "facts" they are propagating are actually lies.

But I don't mean you, smilee.

Harte

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Are you an archaeologist? Do you have a special area of focus?

If you are....do you mind a barrage of questions?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout

because unlike scientists, the conmen profit from telling us what we want to hear, just like the media.

i think the issue why many people who stand on the fringe are ridiculed for digging deeper is simply that they never seem to produce evidence that leads away from the story the mainstream proposes.
we are of course conditioned to accept what authority tells us without question, or at least that is what is expected, but i find that many people reject authority not based on the authority demanding obedience for being an authority but simply out of a desire for the authority to be wrong so they can believe nonsense.

this is of course in the science realm, where its a matter of evidence fitting the claim that makes one an authority, not a label.
as for the media, i hit the point of rejecting all mainstream media when i read a report a few weeks ago about this supposed case where a man died due to a judge sentencing him to 10 days in jail for possession of marijuana. he was a quadriplegic who needed a ventilator and didn't have it and died in jail... at least that is what the media wanted us to think, blaming the judge for his death.
turns out the guy was arrested for not only having marijauna but coc aine, a load pistol and a loaded machine gun!
he pled guilty for drug possession but told the judge that he was going to keep taking drugs no matter what happened and didn't plead guilty for the gun charges. he did die, but it was caused by poor choices by his lawyer himself and the doctors, he died from ripping the tube out of his throat when he couldn't breath, and he was in a hospital!

that is what led me to reject any news, because they lie to us and want us in a perpetual state of outrage or titillation, to keep the money coming in.
the same with professionals on the fringe, they want us to believe this stuff is hidden, even though it isn't. they want us to believe the mainstream rejects it because it flies in the face of the myth they are selling, when the myth makers are the very people telling us the lie about the scientists. why? because it sells books and people lap up anything perceived as being esoteric, so they can pat themselves on the back for being better than the "sheeple" who would rather live their lives without this terrible "knowledge"the "enlightened" have. it makes a lot of people feel special.
truth is, like a lot of stuff like this, it isn't a big deal to modern science, because most of it is either fake or distorted to give a false impression. it's funny that the con men want to sell it as hidden knowledge but the knowledge that what the con man is selling is the only thing hidden, from the person buying the so called knowledge!

it's such a cosmic irony that it makes me weep.
edit on 10-4-2013 by demongoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

hi smylee - great thread. What does OOPARTS mean ?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Out Of Place ARTifacts

I think.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABeing
The pyramids of Giza are great examples of this. Particularly the Great Pyramid, as we perceive social and technological evolution to be completely linear and that we are currently in the apex of human evolution, but there it is, a mystery in itself, with no sarcophaguses found inside, which rules out the tomb theory,

You here ignore the fact that the first people in (fairly) modern times to enter the great pyramid reported that they encountered several mummies, and lots and lots of gold.

When they left, they left a gaping hole in the side.

Originally posted by ABeing
the most accurately aligned structure to true North in the entire history of Mankind (as far as we know),

You mean as far as you know. And, apparently, you don't know very far.

Hundreds of buildings worldwide have accuracy at least a thousand times better. Consider all the observatories, for example.

Harte

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

I teach math and physics in a an urban high school setting.

However, I love archaeology and resent what people (who are completely ignorant of the field) say about archaeologists.

These are people making about the same pay as myself, but they spend their lives bent over scraping the ground in dangerous and desert regions.

They pray to find a single bone or a single pottery shard.

They, like teachers, deserve far more respect than they get.

Harte

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

reply to post by Harte

However, I love archaeology and resent what people (who are completely ignorant of the field) say about archaeologists.

These are people making about the same pay as myself, but they spend their lives bent over scraping the ground in dangerous and desert regions.

Harte

A fellow teacher! Wonderful!

I teach first grade, a huge difference from high school. You've got my respect for that. I completely understand the challenges and frustrations.

It seems you're very familiar with the items mentioned in these threads. Do you have any books or articles you could recommend that explore the question of OOPARTS objectively? Objectively is going to be the key word here.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevineWisdom

Most of information in more modern times is stored in books or on computer hard drives and CD's and things of that nature. Do you really believe that our buildings won't crumble, our cars won't rust and wither away, and our technology will survive the ravages of time? As I stated before, It is MY PERSONAL BELIEF. Nothing more, and nothing less. The only evidence or proof I need for my opinion on this is that knowledge can be easily lost over a long period of time and I feel it would be naive to think, as old as the earth is, that we are the first modern civilization to arise in such a vast time scale. We only know what we're told about ancient civilizations and I also believe we're not being told everything there is to know.

of course they will, that doesn't mean people can't preserve it or something won't happen that will preserve remains from our civilization, we found found a 14 thousand year-old wooden structure after all.

oh so it is naive to not accept something without evidence of it? oh well, good thing i don't think much of people who think like that then. what you are saying is irrational and thoughtless, you have no reason to believe that is the case other than lazy thinking and incredulity.
what i find naive is thinking that you know better than people who spend their entire lives studying this stuff, what's naive is believing things based solely on some feeling you have because you don't want to face reality.

there is no reason to think that there have ever been any civilizations more advanced than stone before the ones we know of, you have no reason, personal feelings are not proof of anything no matter what you may believe, evidence is..
of course we aren't told everything, it takes time to shift paradigms away from certain ideas, but the idea that there was a civilization equal to ours 10s of thousands of years ago? that will never happen, there is no evidence for it.
you seem to believe there is a worldwide conspiracy within the scientific community, based on what? why would scientists lie? what do they have to gain from it?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

reply to post by Harte

Harte

indeed so, i love archaeology and ancient history. it boils my blood how people can twist and distort it all and yet claim the experts who spend their lives scraping together the information they use, are liars.

it's disgusting how people will demonize scientists even though the information they are using is from those very same scientists!
it's insane, it makes my head hurt just thinking about that byzantine way of thinking.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

I don't really have an issue with the 'fringe' as it is called, or certainly no more than I have with the academics, but I do agree with you entirely about the issues with media reporting, but more significantly I have difficulty in understanding the passivity of those that claim an interest in a subject and yet do not actively seek out information for themselves, or simply accept the first proffered explanation. There are always several sides to every story, and the fringe does on occasion come up with interesting lines of inquiry, and academia is sometimes wrong.

The difficulty with the latter, often, is a combination of inaccessibilty, and intellectual snobbery...and perhaps, a tendency towards over specialism can be thrown into that mix for good measure. On the other hand many of the so called fringe works, to which I would especially include Graham Hancock, are highly accessible, easy to read, and overly hyped seemingly. Learning about anything is hard work, it takes application and enthusiasm, and going outside of the comfort zone. It is far easier to claim that we have been taught lies and take the cop out. I mean, realistically, how long do people want to stay in the classroom in order to be taught everything that there is to be taught? The educational system is there to teach the basics, the rest is up to the individual to pursue actively.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

You are consistently missing my point. NoRegretsEver, one of my favourite posters on this site, made a thread on the point I am trying to make...very, very, very few of the flags that you are receiving, as the odd comments throughout testify to, are actually reading the thread. Those flags might as well be saying 'Baa' each time it is hit. I am not demonising the thread because it contains 'fringe' material, I am 'demonising' it because it is a really poorly constructed thread, lacking in any research, or even integrity, and it demonstrates just how far this site has descended into worthless sychophancy. Admittedly, that isn't entirely your fault, but you are responsible and churned out quite a few along the same lines, hence reinforcing that ignorance I was talking about before. Again, I repeat, I know that you know how to do research properly because you wouldn't have a MA if you didn't, so I can only wonder why you do not understand why I am so critical of your inability to apply similar standards here.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join