It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Ronald Reagan Commit A Crime?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

While browsing a local thrift store, I found this little gem. When I initially saw the top of the box and the date, I thought I may know who "RR" could be. After opening the box I was extremely surprised at the contents.

The letter was inside the box with the glass eagle and has the watermark as well. You can also see that it is indeed signed and not by an autopen because there is a small spot in the "R" where he the pen skipped. I started researching the letter and I came across this blog:

legalschnauzer.blogspot.com...

Apparently Joe M. Rodgers (JMR) was the finance chairman for Reagan's reelection campaign. If the blog is correct, it looks like this would be one more gift of appreciation to JMR for raising so much money in addition to his ambassadorship appointment.

I have also been told that the Reagans were limited to giving gifts that were worth no more that $50. This is definitely above that amount.

I have possessed this item for a few years and I would love to get the opinions of the experts that I know live here in ATS world.

I am very interested to see the replies.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
He probably bought them in bulk...like 20 at a time to keep his cost down. So it would have been under $50 ....however that item NOW is Definately over $50.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
He funded the Contras who committed human rights violations as a tactic after being given instructions on how to properly kill civilians as an effective tool for warfare by the CIA (The Manuel: Psychological Operations in Guerrilla Warfare) and in exchange worked with the CIA to smuggle coc aine into the US...and he did so with money he got from selling weapons to Iran.

This is like getting Al Capone on tax evasion.

Did he commit a crime? Hahahahaha!!
edit on 8-4-2013 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This is from the blog, The Legal Schnauzer:

Looks Like Ronald Reagan Committed a Federal Crime
Joe M. Rodgers, an Alabama native who served as ambassador to France from 1985 to 1989, died of cancer recently in Nashville. He was 75.

But the most fascinating part of the Rodgers story is that it provides conclusive evidence that former President Ronald Reagan committed a federal crime.

To understand how Reagan committed a federal crime, you have to know a thing or two about the prosecution of former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman.

Siegelman, you might recall, was indicted and convicted because he accepted a campaign contribution from former HealthSouth CEO Richard Scrushy and then appointed Scrushy to a hospital-oversight board, a board upon which Scrushy had served under three previous governors.

Under the George W. Bush Justice Department, this transaction involving a Democratic governor in a deep red state was deemed "bribery" and "mail/wire fraud." Siegelman and Scrushy are appealing their convictions, and Scrushy remains in federal prison.

But what do we learn about the relationship between Joe M. Rodgers and Ronald Reagan? Rodgers was national finance chairman for Reagan's 1984 re-election campaign. In other words, Rodgers gave, and raised, boatloads of money for Reagan's campaign--far more, apparently, than Richard Scrushy ever dreamed of giving to Don Siegelman.

Here's how nashvillepost.com put it:

Reagan lost the nomination (in 1976), but Rodgers continued to be one of his major supporters and served as finance chairman of the Republican National Committee from 1978 to 1980. The committee raised some $75 million during that time, dramatically increasing its donor base.

After Reagan took office in 1981, he appointed Rodgers to the Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board. He continued to raise funds for a variety of GOP-related causes, and in 1984 he served as finance chief for the successful Reagan-Bush re-election campaign.

In 1985, Reagan rewarded Rodgers by naming him U.S. ambassador to France for a four-year term. He and wife Honey settled into their official residence in Paris, a mansion dating from 1852 with 25-foot ceilings in its reception rooms and two acres of gardens. They kept a supply of GooGoo Clusters on hand as a Nashville treat to share with their diplomatic guests.

His wife was named "Honey"! And they gave GooGoo Clusters to their diplomatic guests! How quaint!

I wonder if Richard Scrushy provides GooGoo Clusters for his fellow inmates at a federal prison in Texas.

Let's review briefly: Rodgers helped enrich Reagan's campaign by at least $75 million. And he was "rewarded" with multiple plum appointments.

That ambassadorship to France sounds like a pretty sweet gig, doesn't it? Rodgers and his wife resided in an 1852 mansion with 25-foot ceilings and two acres of gardens. Gosh, they were "slumdog millionnaires" long before the term was cool.

Based on the Siegelman prosecution, Reagan and Rodgers clearly committed massive federal crimes. But do you think they ever broke a sweat about the possibility of being indicted? I doubt it.

And now they've gone to that great Teflon mansion in the sky, while Scrushy sits in a federal prison and Don Siegelman sweats out an appeal before the U.S. 11th Circuit Court of Appeal in Atlanta.

Seems like every time we turn around, Republicans are wanting to name a building for Ronald Reagan. Isn't it interesting that they hold a federal criminal in such high regard?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFinder

Did Ronald Reagan commit a crime?

he sure did....

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Al Capone WAS convicted of tax evasion. I would say that was successful.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Your reply refers to "he" as Ronald Reagan. I believe that "he" in your reply is "the government". This is a letter that is signed by good ole "Ron" himself.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Phantom
He funded the Contras who committed human rights violations as a tactic after being given instructions on how to properly kill civilians as an effective tool for warfare by the CIA (The Manuel: Psychological Operations in Guerrilla Warfare) and in exchange worked with the CIA to smuggle coc aine into the US...and he did so with money he got from selling weapons to Iran.

This is like getting Al Capone on tax evasion.

Did he commit a crime? Hahahahaha!!
edit on 8-4-2013 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

Hah yeah talk to Oliver North about Reagan's real crimes. He's no better than Tony Soprano

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
How much you want for that?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It is currently on eBay for sale and if it isn't sold on eBay it will be going to Chrisitie's auction house. I was wondering if anyone on here may have insight as to the rarity of such an item and with it's obvious connotation.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
No idea... But it's from my birth month and year so I like it...how much u asking for it?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
If it's anything like some of the American Flags I've seen in stores, it probably has a little sticker on the bottom that states "made in China", if so pull it off before sending it off to Christies

ETA: Seriously, that is a nice item and should do well if you sell it before the Korean war picks up again.
edit on 8-4-2013 by evc1shop because: eta

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply!

Reagan gave these to Gorbachev and Thatcher. That's why in the letter it says he gave them to visiting heads of state.

Steuben is no longer in business.

I just wonder if it's true that the Reagans could only give gifts worth less than $50.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You could get more cash if you contact your local republican representative. Tell him you are on his side and that you have an original from their favorite. You will bring it to the fund raising party for all local republicans to touch.

Charge 200-300 per person and let them know their "voices" will be heard by the fraudster representative present. As a service fee you could get 15% of the profits.

edit on 9-4-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Nobody in power is presently going to levy a charge against a deceased Republican hero. Whether or not Ronald Reagan committed a crime, in his movies or in government, is open to interpretation but to charge him in 2013 of being like Al Capone would surely divide America into further fragments.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I agree. I do, however, think it is fascinating that something so relatively small can possibly point to a much larger event.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Even if he did, so what?

Whatcha want them to do? Dig up his corpse and throw his carcass in jail?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Thats what the people in Scotland want to do to thatcher. Some people are in love with blaming their current problems on leaders who were in power like 20 years ago. Its trendy.

new topics

top topics

join