It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television, or no television ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Hello all,

I got rid of my television nearly five years ago, due mainly to reality t.v, celebrity culture, and the general dumbing down of t.v. In general...and I don't miss it.

I do have a home cinema ( Projector, screen and sound system, etc.) to watch films when the mood takes.

I find myself something of an outcast, not knowing what's going on in the tacky, trashy,world that is current t.v. And I couldn't care less !

AM I ALONE ? Please tell me I'm not !!!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

It's mostly garbage. I sometimes get into a show, for ex., The Walking Dead, which I buy per episode on Amazon. I see nothing wrong with getting some decent programming over the air -- PBS channels looks great in HD.

Don't give the cable co's your money. Their stagnate, bloated, archaic beasts that need to go the way of the dodo or start innovating rather than resting on their monopolies/ridiculous rates.
edit on 4/8/2013 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

I am so with you! I've been without a TV for 3 years. At first, I felt lost to the world because I was so use to it. After a short time, I got over it besides you can find anything to watch online and its a hell of a lot cheaper. Why pay over $100 for 8 million channels when you know you only watch a few channels. I agree that TV has become a big joke with the ridiculous, cheesy reality shows (there are a few that are guilty pleasures
) and don't get me started on the whore clan the Kardashians...ughhh...

link   

I had an illegal cable hookup for over 10 years. The last tenants had it and I've never really questioned it or messed with it. Finally the cable company found out and disconnected it.

I've never been happier

Not once did I think about getting cable TV again. They did me a HUGE favor by disconnecting it!

Now I have more time to read, write, play chess, play music, compose music, play sports, cook healthy meals, and enjoy the outdoors.

edit on 8-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith
Hello all,

I got rid of my television nearly five years ago ... AM I ALONE ? Please tell me I'm not !!!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!

My poor, deceived wife insists on having a boob-tube in the house, much to my frustration. I do NOT watch it! Every time I pass by the (&^)*^ thing, I feel brain cells dying.

Once in a while, I'll pass by it and listen, for a few moments, to a commercial or a bit of a program. Without fail, I am disgusted and reminded why I don't watch.

You are not alone. You are one of the few who can actually think clearly.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I rarely watch TV and I don't miss it. Best thing I ever did was not replace mine when it broke over 2 years ago

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I am so with you! I gave up TV 3 years ago. All of the ridiculous reality shows, even though a few are guilty pleasures
Not to mention how expensive it is, it's not worth $100+ for a crap load of channels with nothing interesting to watch except seeing or hearing something about the whore clan the Kardashians...ughhh...what is the world coming to? TV/the media is promoting promiscuity, teen pregnancies, violence, and so on and so forth. Teen Mom, 16 and Pregnant, wait....pretty much all of MTV shows needs to be banned for starts.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Good for you ! And all others who deny the one eyed monster ! I've just got back in to playing chess, and am never short of things to do.

I get fed up with friends opening comments in a conversation " Did you see..." Then they remember I don't have a t.v. ' til next time we meet, and it all starts again...

I also get told regularly that I don't know what I'm missing....fortunately I do !

T.v. Leads us into a particular unquestioning lazy way of thinking. I'm fascinated by the real world around us.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by incoserv

Thank you....we're a rare breed !

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Yeah I get that at work, asking me if I saw this and that, but I don't watch any of it. I'd rather read a good book anyways

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I have been t.v. free for about 6 years. Since giving up television, I no longer have the attention span to watch movies or t.v. shows for more than a few minutes at a time. I can read a book from front to cover in one sitting though.
Has any one else discovered that since giving up t.v. they have a decreased attention span for t.v. but a increase in attention span for other things?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Yes, my attention span has become pro active and enquiring, rather than reactive and unquestioning...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Yes! I struggle to watch a movie unless I'm really, really interested in it. Give me a book though and i will sit for hours

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Well there are good shows out there, like Game of Thrones, for example - but normal television is completely outdated. Everyone I know is either watching Netflix or watching shows online, where they can choose what they want to watch, and there are much fewer advertisements.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I download all of my tv shows.

I only watch the tv for the commercials.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

No, you're not alone. The only program I used to watch was WWE Raw because I was a die hard WWE fan and enjoyed the live show. Even though the characters are cartoonist, WWE has commercialized the product so much they will cater around their sponsors, not knowing to do with most of their large, young, and future stars, etc. I remember being a kid and being able to remember everything on television. Now the fake "reality" and over killed sponsored shows has caused me to lose interest in the entertainment media. One could argue there are gems out there. But the gems are not working for anymore. I advice everyone to enjoy life, get in shape and get a hobby. That in my opinion is better than anything on television these days. #reality

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
My TV turns on only to play vidyah games.
Don't like computer games, harp me all you like about PC this blah blah blah lol

Nope. Console for me and I need a tv for that

My family on the other hand, the TV is a vital source of information, the things I hear sometimes...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

It is so nice to hear I am not the only one. I joke about having t.v. only A.D.D. but I have been teased mercilessly about my inability to sit through a movie and was starting to feel like I was the only one. Especially since people love to talk about movies and t.v. shows.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Yeah I work in an office and they spend a lot of time talking about all the soaps and stuff, it's all completely lost on me

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The only reason I still own a TV is for my consoles.

The only things i would watch would be the occasional NOVA documentaries, but they're few and far between.

Nearly all programs lately are cringe worthy, especially when TV stations use words like 'Mantiques monday' or 'manination tuesdays' to promote their lineup, Yuck.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join