It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it now “cool” to attack innocent people?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Safety in numbers. Note how its usually groups of people, never a single person on their own, unless for the sole purpose of mugging etc

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by billy565

It seems every week or so there is a story about some absolutely senseless act of violence by a group of kids against an innocent person.

Gang initiations, have to prove you can be heartless to be a thug. They should come up with a classification for such crimes, and attach some stiffer penalties, to thwart this kind of specific behavior.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I should've guessed you were a 1911 type of guy.

Keep up the good work Wrabbit!

ganjoa

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Bleeep...I totally understand what you are saying...but what I'm saying is that I hear all the time from different people how the parents are not responsible anymore and should be held accountable....ok....so SHOULD they be held accountable? Is there truth in that? And if so...exactly HOW should that be held accountable? ...money is not the answer to everything, I agree. And I am NOT a materialistic person. But, ....sadly when you hit someone in the pocketbook, they learn a lot quicker than a slap on the wrist. Example: The person who parks in the no tow zone and gets towed , pays a fee , and doesn't park their again. ...
.and I don't know if a fine or a class is the answer to these kids...but it seems to me if you have a kid ( or two or more) they are your responsibility. Sure it takes a whole town to raise a kid theory, but the reality is its still your kid and still your responsibility. So, should the parents be held accountable too?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Entirely my sentiments as well. I mentioned in my one of my notes here about the racial aspect simply making it worse ...and I meant that. It ONLY makes it worse ..it didn't cause it, in my opinion.

To clarify (since I got a feeling others may not have taken that quite that way), I've mentioned before that I live in an area that is, as the Census Bureau reports it, over 90% white. One benefit of that, as I would see it, is seeing how much *IS NOT* racial about so much of this. The same things happen here, white on white as happened there with the 10-15 black kids beating the old white man.

In the big city here, Springfield, the center of town is called 'The Square'. It's a traffic circle and center for the bars, nightclubs and pubs. In a town with Bible colleges, a University, 3 tech schools with national names and the Community College I'm in? It's a happening place .......and a place they had packs of 3-5 punks jumping people and beating them to serious injury, just for fun. Sometimes robbing, sometimes not. It took them a couple months to finally catch them.

Such a world we live in these days .... Oh, and some of them were little roaches too. Mid teens....NOT even old enough to get in the door of the clubs they were stalking the outside of late at night. Predators. Outright predators.

edit on 8-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by billy565

Is it now “cool” to attack innocent people?

Gosh darnit, this is America!!!
"O'er The land of the Guilty.......
and the Home... of the... Slave..........."

No one here is truly innocent.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
just need more public cameras imo.
identify the people involved, and one by one pick em up

15 year prison sentences for aggravated battery should start to send the message across.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Raxoxane

Entirely my sentiments as well. I mentioned in my one of my notes here about the racial aspect simply making it worse ...and I meant that. It ONLY makes it worse ..it didn't cause it, in my opinion.

Actually, I don't know the details of the case...but do you know for sure it wasn't a factor?
If some black person got jumped by a bunch of white teens in some trailer park..it would be fair to investigate if it was a race crime..the opposite dynamics should also be investigated..and then if found out to be racially motivated, kicked up to the fed level with some real hard time for those caught.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree, but when kids are beating other people in the streets...should the parents be required to take a class? Something on how to parent this issue with their kid . ...or just be a good parent. I tend to think there are bad eggs in the world, just plain evil spawns,but...I also think some people just shouldn't have kids because they dont know how to parent...And then the kid turns out like a street gang kid, but...maybe some education would help when their kid gets in trouble like that.

No, somebody needs to whip those little punks behinds every bit as bad as they were beating that one man. My guess would be these kids weren't disciplined in the home. If they fear no reprisals for wrong doings from their parents it leads to no fear of reprisals for wrong doings from the police or anyone else. This is what happens when parents don't do their jobs. By the time they have reached the point of beating up people in groups it is too late for parenting and time for some serious butt whooping!
edit on 8-4-2013 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The next time someone asks, "Why does anyone need a weapon with a 30 round clip?" show them this story.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

The way gangs rule now is with fear and numbers, They go hand and hand, for years I have been saying, that the aggravated battery laws need to be changed. These people are cowards that would not implement these attacks if "the numbers" weren't on their side.

So why don't we take "the numbers" away from the gangs. Any assault where the attackers have a 2 to 1 advantage or better. Becomes 1st degree assault, this will serve a dual purpose.

#1 Take the power away from the gang cowards.

#2 Stop the 'Bashing" craze that is going on as of late.

If the COWARDS had to attack 1 on 1, or face 15 to life. This craze would end pretty quickly.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I’ll bet there are at least a few #ing idiots who are members of this site who think it's funny.

Okay it was a bit much and i apologize to those i offended, i was (am) angry.

I hope most members were offended more by the act of beating an innocent person than by my statement. (I think most were.)

Thank you for your replies / input.

edit on 8-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

Punishing the parents is, to put it nicely, a very bad idea. Parents, alone, do not control how a child acts; nor can any one source, when there are multiple sources of influence. If the children were brain dead unthinking people, and their only source for information was from parents, then, and only then, would you be correct.

Children think for themselves, and as free willed thinkers, they are going to push their limits - no matter what the limits are, or who ascribed them.

To give you a good example, think of how preachers' kids behave. They are known for their overly rebellious ways. Well, that's because the more you push, the harder they push back. That's the nature of everyone, unless, of course, you push so hard that you break their will - and that is psycho [cuss]. Like cornering a wild animal, too much pushing and they will fight back harder than they did before you cornered them. That is what I think you're trying to do by making the parents be fined. It's ludicrous, to me.

If you want someone to act a certain way, you have to disrupt the counteractive influences. Sometimes those influences are the children themselves. Some times it's pop-culture. Some times it's peers. Some times it's their loved ones telling of abusive racism. Some times it's because they were racially abused themselves. Some times it's _________ (you name it and it probably had some effect on them).

Basically, if we are to shift the blame away from everyone who ever influenced the children, then we only have the children themselves, to blame.

And last but not least, I think the best recourse to inhibiting bad behavior, is to teach empathy. And the burden does not fall solely on the parents, because society itself is just as responsible as the parents, if society behaves badly, and the children see it.

In short: Teach empathy, not eye for an eye.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join