It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick and tired of the way people treat me and others around me SICK OF IT!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It's parenting or lack of parenting.

You can't blame anyone or anything else but the parents who raised these kids/people

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
I am completely sick and tired of this generation of lack of respect and completely and utter disregard for other people around them. This egotistical self absorbed society of crap we are building for the future needs to stop now. Everywhere i go, everyone i see, everyone i interact with. People either think their smarter, better looking, clever, whatever it is they think they just generally think they are better then everyone around them. Where did this come from? Did this come from the everyone is a winner mentality? Did this come from parents not whipping their kids asses when they deserved it anymore? I dont get it! It doesnt even matter the bottom line is it needs to change.

Its time we start holding people accountable and calling them out on the spot for their bull# all the time no matter what. I am just so frustrated with interacting with people anymore i cant stand it. I am making it a point to move to the mountains and getting involved with a community of down to earth people who care instead of these jerks im surrounded by all the time.

God help us, we need change, and im not talking about Obama.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOriginalMolonLabe
It's parenting or lack of parenting.

You can't blame anyone or anything else but the parents who raised these kids/people

Indeed it is. And the parents before them and the parents before that and so on. If you ask my grandmother I did it all wrong in every way. and yet, my daughter turned out to one of the most wonderful people I have ever known and I could not be more proud of her. So what does that say about the tried and not entirely true practice of your average american parent over these last few generations.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I had a reply for this, and apparently, internet gremlins ate it. Yes, it is a lack of proper parenting. In some cases, parents have been brainwashed into thinking that discipline is bad, and in others, they flat don't care. People are selfish. Too many believe they can take what they want, say anything, do anything, and that rules don't apply to them. I KNOW at least one person like that. It's truly sickening, and I can understand your rant completely!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I agree with the fact that parenting is really important , this is the foundation for this behaviour.

I must say my parents did a good job, they taugh me value , to always do my best and treat people with the same respect that i want.

although i am only 26 i dont even consider myself to be part of my generation , a generation that only cares about Themselfs money violence and sex.

I feel like the OP title for a while now , wich made me Construct the biggest emotional chinese wall , humans are terrible and will stab you in the back or make advantage out of you.

on my work i had lots of these situations , because i have adhd in stressfull situations i might get mad , not against people or in a physical way but i just start cursing and shouting.

so one day i hit a lightbulb with my reachtruck , so i got all stressed up and this guy comes to me , hahahaha you are gonna get fired , hahahaha , and followed me and mocked me i went into evac mode , because i have to get away from this situation or i will snap.

But here is the thing...

They know i have issues with dealing with these kinds of setbacks .... why just not leave me alone ?? instead of putting oil on the flames ???

When someone else makes a mistake i am certainly not dancing around them cheering for their incompetence praying it will get them fired.

And i told my bosses many times , how can you let these people treat me like sh$%#t so i will go into freak out mode and then i am the one who has a problem.

Humans are world champion in taking advantage over other beings , to psycopathic levels.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I have to agree with the OP, the world has changed, respect is no longer earned, its expected.

I'm 52 this year, I consider myself young at heart but I simply cannot get to grips with the youth and their parents these days, most are rude, lazy, self absorbed and usually lacking in any real intelligence or drive. I live on a rough council estate and my family are one of the more nice families here.

I was brought up as I do my daughter to say please and thank you, I'm the type that opens doors for ladies, offers my seat to those that need it more on buses etc and go to the aid of a person in trouble. I'm not a saint, it was just the way I was brought up, my daughter does not swear, does not use street slang and was given the freedom to enjoy a childhood rather than be pressured in to growing up too soon. Her friends love her to bits, she does not do some of the daft stuff they do but they like her for her.

But I look at teens now and I see vacant zombies who are incredibly rude at times, back chat is the norm as are threats and they spit and litter with zero thought for where they live. Drugs are also almost a daily routine, they have learned to smoke at 10 or younger and its a natural progression on to weed and the like. Now I'm a big fellow and have earned respect from teens around our block for my standing up to them, I remove the drug dealers from the block which is incredibly hard as my health is very poor but I'll be damned if a snot nosed little teen is going to treat me like dirt.

So I've sat with the teens on here and once they respect you they talk and actually become more polite but there's still that vacant part of their being which just expects to be on benefits, produce kids with no care that they can't pay for them and a tax payer does, there's zero wish to work, they would rather join a gang and deal drugs or get involved in other types of crime. But you know what hurts, you meet the parents and they are EXACTLY the same, layabout scum who do drugs, don't work and don't give a damn if their kids are being rude or involved in crime.

I walk along the road when I do go out and all you see is a layer of hatred beamed at you, every one is on their guard and trying to look hard, the youth spit on the floor near you, many immigrants look at you like dirt, the indigenous folk also look at you like dirt. There's zero social contact, its all phones in hand and txt / dumb speak, you rarely get people speaking on buses bar to their friends, normally you cannot hear for the teens disrupting the whole bus but when an elderly person sits next to you I normally say hello or some such as a pleasantry, they look back with distrust because they are so used to being been rude to.

When I used to visit places outside London like Marlow where we lived you get the old world back, people say hello to each other, kids behave when told and generally people don't look so stressed or mean.

Sadly the bad world is the norm these days, I've lost track of the number of times a day I've had to tell kids to keep it down, to not kick balls at windows and to not foul mouth people, kids of 5 upwards spew words of filth and hate out of their mouth, all learnt from the parent(s) and its simply a sad place to be, like the OP I wish I could move to the country while I still have some life in me, places like here suck the very life out of you by the basic negativity they radiate.

I really wish my numbers would come up, we would be gone like a shot...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by opal13

Hitting or spanking isn't the answer. I have never seen a chimpanzee, lion or pretty much any animal hit their offspring because they were behaving incorrectly, but then again, humans do start wars for no reason, but I digress.

The point is that, hitting isn't going to stop anything, you simply have to let the kid either learn it's own, or the parents should sit the kid down and teach him not to whatever the kid is doing wrong, or else the kid can say bye bye to the "smart phones".

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think some of it comes from illusions of love. People really don't know the meaning of friendship or its value. Kids have always disagreed with their parents but their "I do as I please behavior" has caused parents to truly hate their kids. Sex is free anytime anywhere. No attachments. Life can't be pleasent without love. People can only get love when they give love but they just don't know how to do that. We are connected verbally but not emotionally so treating people poorly has no consequences. I would feel bad if my parents couldn't care less if they saw me again even if it were my fault for being a selfish, demeaning, know it all. In order to cope with that sort of emotional pain is to shroud it with another emotion like hate. This hate would be directed to any authority "parent" figure.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yeah man i agree and i understand this generation and not even just this one the generation before this 1 f**** up but its the "brainwashing" the music its "ENTERTAINMENT" running everyone making them want to be like what they see on tv its a cycle that has been foreever & will be forever if all human beings come together and gain what is rightfully ours

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, I just became a member to respond to this post. My opinion people continue to act this way is because we let them. A fellow I know recently was walking into a gas station when the guy walking out held the door and asked him how he was doing. He replied not of your #*$&#**# business. That's the last thing he remembered because that was followed up with a right hook! Maybe this case is a little extreme but you get the idea.We don't just have to accept the jerks of the world. Maybe by confronting them,
they will thing twice next time they encounter someone.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I am completely sick and tired of this generation of lack of respect and completely and utter disregard for other people around them. This egotistical self absorbed society of crap we are building for the future needs to stop now. Everywhere i go, everyone i see, everyone i interact with.
I know this is a rant, but there is a real opportunity for growth here. I used to feel the same way as you. I was grated by every unkindness and lack of care I saw around me. But something happened to me that caused me to consider that I am responsible for the content of my experience. It will happen for you, too, if you can put aside self-righteousness and seek your own truth without compromise. Because you are the source of everything you notice around you. Let me explain that last bit:

Recognition is the process of matching a perceived pattern with a pattern stored in your consciousness. If you recognize someone as behaving badly, it's because that pattern is stored in you under 'bad behavior'. To further explain, let's consider an example from another culture. In many cultures around the world it is considered extremely rude to show the bottom of your foot to anyone else. Sometimes it's considered rude to cross your legs, because the action requires lifting the bottom of your foot so high that everyone can see it. In the last 20 years, some of these cultures (such as South Korea) have been evolving so rapidly that children aren't being taught the ancient taboo, and as a result are widely regarded by older people as being extremely disrespectful. The older people are not owning their responsibility for the cultural programming they have allowed to be done to them. And the younger people are not accepting responsibility for believing in the importance of a now-obsolete custom. But the point I am making is this: the outrage in the older generation is a result of their own cultural programming coupled with an internal lack of consciousness concerning the origins of their system of 'right' and 'wrong'. They are the source of their own offense. Such it is with you, and me.

People either think their smarter, better looking, clever, whatever it is they think they just generally think they are better then everyone around them. Where did this come from?
It came from their narcissistic, entitled parents, who in turn got it from their doting, affluent parents. Our cultures are evolving. Best to stand clear and let it, because your generation and mine are responsible for the state this world is in today. Maybe the kids and their inflated sense of fairness can actually manage to bring this world closer to fairness; something it's been lacking for thousands of years... since the agricultural revolution.

Did this come from the everyone is a winner mentality? Did this come from parents not whipping their kids asses when they deserved it anymore? I dont get it! It doesnt even matter the bottom line is it needs to change.
Stand aside and let it. But it's not going back to the way it was. Meritocracy comes to mind. I don't blame today's kids for lacking respect for their elders. Their elders are a bunch of schmucks, for the most part. LOOK WHAT A MESS THEY LEFT FOR THEIR KIDS TO CLEAN UP!

Its time we start holding people accountable and calling them out on the spot for their bull# all the time no matter what.
It starts with the man in the mirror. Equanimity is the only way to roll in such an unstable culture. Learn it and practice it, and stop whining.

I am just so frustrated with interacting with people anymore i cant stand it. I am making it a point to move to the mountains and getting involved with a community of down to earth people who care instead of these jerks im surrounded by all the time.

God help us, we need change, and im not talking about Obama.
Be the change! Don't bother calling for it, because a human voice is never as effective as the voice of the conscience.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seamus

Well put Seamus, Its not the easiest thing to look in the mirror and take responsibility for our own addition to this world we live in, and I do think that my daughters generation do have a legitimate reason to be angry. Just as my generation, I was born in 68, was angry with those that came before.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I agree with you.

However if you do call people out on their BS you are seen as the b***h and the one with issues. Believe me I have no filter and have no problem calling people out who act like this. Where I am it's a rampant plague which is sad.

If you try and inform someone even in a nice way they attack you. I really do not interact with anyone where I live if i don't have to. People are mean and angry and think they know it all and are always right. Every week I have at least 2 people who curse me out and try and run me OFF the road because I'm not going fast enough for them. The main road where I live in A1A and there is always a lot of traffic esp right now with it being vacation season. You can only take A1A in many areas to get to other areas so it causes alot of traffic and all you can do is wait in it but too many people are impatient and think they can just run you to the side to get by. I have had it happen so many times I don't even enjoy driving anymore.

I had someone in the super market get an attitude with me because I was in a motorized cart at the grocery store the other day and said excuse me to get by. She ignored me and under her breathe made a comment about me being in one and how I didn't need to be. This lady doesn't know me nor does she know why I'm in one. I'm 31wks pregnant and can't walk around well so a motorized cart helps me shop. I have nobody around to shop for me so I have to do it. It just irked me that this women continued to stand in my way even after i asked her nicely more than once to move. The Coke guy made a comment because he saw I was frustrated esp when I got up and walked over to get what I needed which was hard to do because of my back....

People are just mean and rude today.

I see it on here too. People automatically attacking others without even thinking. They automatically make assumptions and just attack another person.

I never judge someone. YOu just do not know their situation.

Another thing people can't seem to grasp today is constructive criticism! It's seen as an attack or slander now instead of a helpful tool. I was always taught to listen to constructive criticism!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

TV has done much to mold children into what they are now. TV educates... and TV is generally garbage.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I don't see much difference between my generation and this one to be honest. There are good kids everywhere you look, they just don't get the news like bad kids do in this media and internet saturated world. I knew guys twenty years ago who were absolute terrors, I personally knew nine people who are dead today because of heroin. I look at my step daughter and her group and I see an attitude to cigarettes and drugs that is much more savvy than my generation and I am happy. Don't get me wrong, she is not an angel, just a normal kid going through secondary school like I was.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think this is not a new phenomenon. I am quoting Socrates who was alive from 470 BC to 399 BC:

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

Maybe a few more things were added to the list since then. A-holes have always been here and they come in all shapes and colors. Negativity and their bad manners are contagious, stay positive, hold on to your principles and be humble.

Remember that not everyone has been through what you have or have the same capacity of self consciousness. Keep it real!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I hear ya, the entitlement generation sucks BADLY, they are the buzzkill, killjoy, party poopers of the century.

I DO call them out, pretty much whenever they open their mouths, but the problem is NEVER them, it is always the rest of the world unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
We are absolutely no more than one step ahead of the ancient Romans when it comes to being human beings.

Graffiti? Yep the Roman youth loved it and it is a great source of information for scholars today. Drinking? Bacchus was your God of choice if you liked a drink. Join the Army to get a wage and pension.

Don't like your dead leader? Damnatio Memoriae will sort her out forever.

Human wants and needs have changed not one bit since the times of the Roman Empire. We have just modified the details over time.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Having just turned 60, I understand some of the sentiment but I also remember hearing the same thing when I was a kid...disrespect, arrogance, laziness, no discipline. The world has changed greatly in that time and American society especially. Some of it good, some of it less but much of it is the same based on my own experience.

I work with and around many people all day. I understand most of them, at least at a basic level. And the biggest difference I have seen is mostly related to the stress of modern day society. Parents and kids are all affected by a constant stream of "more and better" while working harder to maintain a balance. We all tend to get caught up in our own worlds through modern technology, texting or talking on our cellphones, chatting on a laptop, listening to our music that we shut out much of the world around us in our effort to "be somewhere else", if only for a time.

Many "friends" or associates we spend time with may be online only. Websites and talking to people this way may broaden some of our influence but before that, we could only do it through actual social interaction. People are in general more knowledgeable on more subjects today simply because we take in so much more information on the world, details unheard of just a few short decades ago. And many of us feel we have something to add to a thread (myself included) because we feel the need to inform others of what we have learned or believe.

Perhaps the biggest change is that more people seem unhappy with their lives...we were never conditioned to "grind" so hard at work because we were taught that one gets paid by how hard they work. That is no longer true for the most part. Many have been disillusioned with life yet, for the most part, people are still friendly if spoken to correctly.

Our parents would do for others whatever the task....build a new barn, feed and clothe them, help in any way they could whether on their own or through the community or church. Today, most people are too tired, self centered (aloof) or irritated simply because they are disappointed. There have always been "jerks" (a man once told me he moved from NY City to Tennessee to get away from what he said were the "17%"...he found that true in Tennessee too, they were just more spread out) and malcontents and those thinking themselves better or smarter or whatever. This is not new and life is just evolving so that 60 years from now people will sit around and talk about how the next generation are worthless losers that have no sense. And life goes on.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I am making it a point to move to the mountains and getting involved with a community of down to earth people who care instead of these jerks im surrounded by all the time.

Been there, done that. Best decision of my life.

It's something the Westerners are proud to foist around the world, and those around the world are changing to the kind of person you describe in the cities of the Philippines as well.

The problem comes when the governments/leaders of these nations want to go use your mountain resources, and force you to change your lifestyle so those in the cities don't have to change a thing about their lifestyle.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join