It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“American Dream”: Food loaded into Dumpsters while Hundreds of Hungry Americans Restrained by Po

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
www.globalresearch.ca...

Is there any doubt that America has lost its way! Corporate interests trump hungry American citizens.

God help us!

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Good find but it has already been posted a few weeks ago.

Not being snippy just letting you know.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

God help us!

You think he will? I guess not!

I missed a sentence in the article where it's said that people are beeing shot by the police because they "steal" the food which was destroyed later.

Sorry, it's a totally insane planet here.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
reply to post by olaru12

Regards, Iwinder

Didn't show up on my search.

Anyway, this story needs to be told over and over to illustrate how America has lost interest in taking care of it's citizens in favor of the Corpratracracy.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
That is sick! How do those banker scum sleep at night knowing what they've done? Someday very soon I don't think it will matter who owns the grocery store, or who is standing in front of it. People will just collectively had enough, and get it however they see fit. And I can't say I'd blame'em.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
reply to post by olaru12

Regards, Iwinder

That's nice, but i don't keep up on ATS every minute of every day, so its nice to see the same thread pop up two three times with out wasting my time searching for things. Thanks for your concern though

link   
Isn't the American dream all about free markets and making BIG fat profits? I'm sure this all boils down to the waste food being tax deductable from any corporation tax that these companies seem to continuously want to avoid paying.

It's disgusting, but this is what the American dream has created.

link   
Pretty Disgusting.
There is no profit in giving food away.
All they would do is eat it, rather than sell it to others for a profit.
Sarcasm by the way

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
no i know for a fact that the reason it is thrown away is for the protection of the company.
my mother works for a large hospital. they throw away food you would not believe.
into to dumpsters that are under lock and key.

she asked one day why they didn't donate it to homeless shelters or soup kitchens.
she was told that one of their sister hospitals had been sued, by someone. because they got food poisoning.

law suits are the new american dream, sue someone and get rich.

edit on 7-4-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

One day I went to the grocery store to pick up a pepperoni stick as a special dog treat. There were about 2 dozen sticks and noticing that the due date was passed, I hoped the sales person would give me a deal. She immediately took them away and binned them, stating potential lawsuits.

So okay, a risk exists, but why not unlock the bins and put up a disclaimer saying they would not be responsible for any damages or ill health?

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well let me be the bad girl here.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

The larger question here should be why so many people are relying on handouts to survive? Its indicitive of a bigger problem in their life and honestly, what good will this food do them in a couple of days?

They will be right back in the same position. Instead of decrying what a waste of food this is we should be looking at the problems that put these people in this situation in the first place.

Kinda like seeing the forest through the trees.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

just because you can fish.
doesn't mean there's fish to catch.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Well let me be the bad girl here.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
In keeping with your Analogy...
"Knowing how to Fish is Useless, If there are no Lakes"

Now , High and Mighty Mrs Hope, may I offer you an Expression in Regards to this OP?

"There, but for the Grace of God go I ".

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Yea but its still not solving the larger problem which I don't see anyone here discussing.

Why are so many people in poverty in the first place?

Maybe if we solve that than we won't need to worry about what some corporation is doing with their food.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

reply to post by olaru12

You know, our priorities in this country are all screwed up. While in this case, with the OP's article, it might be corporatism, but there's also the problem of laws which prevent food from being given to people in need (and i don't mean "illegal to feed the homeless in public" stuff).

Example.

I work in the entertainment (film) industry. Every day, there are catered meals (breakfast and lunch). Lunch is generally "dinner" food: steak, chicken, pork, various veggies, salad, dessert, fish, sushi, etc. Any any given day its a combination of all of the above (always salad, dessert, and always three kinds of meat). Now, everything that is cooked that is not eaten is thrown away (except for cold items like salad). EVERY DAY. I have seen whole meatloaves, whole racks of prime rib, tubs of chicken legs, whole ahi tuna, all of it thrown right into the trash. EVERY DAY.

Do you know how much some of that would feed people? And why? Because they can't legally give it away to shelters or people (unless they invited them to the set to eat it from catering) because of a food safety issue. It has to remain a certain temperature for a certain amount of time, or it's "unsafe," and transporting it is not an option.

And it's not so much corporate greed or anything (in this case), it's that the LAWS prevent it from being donated by any reasonable or sound measure. (One could argue that a multimillion dollar production could spend a few to make sure the food it maintained properly until it gets to a shelter or something, but that's not really the point. Of course, that would take extra money for manpower, transpo, etc).

Every day i see this I shake my head. Such waste, that could feed so many hungry people.

Yes, we have lost our way.

And it's a shame.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Yea but its still not solving the larger problem which I don't see anyone here discussing.

Maybe if we solve that than we won't need to worry about what some corporation is doing with their food.
Probably its not being Discussed, Because thats not what this Thread is about.
Did you read the Op?

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Probably its not being Discussed, Because thats not what this Thread is about.
Did you read the Op?

No I never read the topics of threads.

I usually just click on something and guess what the thread is about then start posting.

Sheesh

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Well there are these things called government policies that do not serve the majority of the people in this nation, but the ones that buy them. Like creating policies to give tax breaks to companies that off shore jobs, or granting worker visas to get access to cheaper labor to come here to this country, or having lax immigration or non existence enforcement laws with our southern border...just to name a couple off the top of my head.
edit on 7-4-2013 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

We would do well to solve it, yes.

But there will ALWAYS be poor people, people hungry, in every society, ESPECIALLY in a capitalist society. Everyone can't be rich, and there will always be poor. Just as everyone can't be a winner, there must be losers. When it's how I can better myself at your expense, you betcha.

(Not that I think that is the way it should be, but it's the ways things are, and the only reasonable way things can be)

Unless you're advocating a socio-political system—ahem, theory—in which all are provided for equally.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I think it is people such as yourself that are making it possible for such things to flourish, your ridiculous belief that everyone has a "fair shake" is laughable at best.

This same bank corporation is likely writing the policy that makes all of these people have the inability to pay for the ever-inflated land prices, that takes away the jobs, that insists on paying them half as much as they should for their labor if they can even find a job.

Keep dreaming we can fix this while imagining that if they just tried harder things would get better, wholesale change on a scale you cannot fathom is the only thing that can change it, guaranteed you will not be so passé once you or people you know start feeling the hit.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join