It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sports play their role in distracting/submersing us..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Remember learning in school how the Roman government wanted to keep the idle masses entertained because they knew that a large group of poor people was a major threat to their empire?

Yeah, that's pretty much still happening today.

Enjoy the game...

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by WontBeFooled

I made a thread today about the Washington Redskins. I thought about this.. that in the face of all this N. Korea stuff someone would think " Gee.. what a mundane thread to distract us all" ( not saying you did that) I just saw how it could look trivial in the face of such huge current events. I almost felt silly posting it.

But you know why I posted it? Because in times of such depressing news it's healthy not to focus on that news 100% of the time. Get your prepping done, keep it in the back of your mind but let it go for a time. Watch the awesome American Football League Games on TV. ( fast paced high scoring indoor American Professional Football - More exciting many times than the NFL games). Go see a movie. Take the kids to Putt Putt Golf. If you don't stop to smell the roses what are you prepping for anyway if not to preserve the freedoms you enjoy?

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

Originally posted by minkmouse
if you wore the wrong color jersey into the local pub, you might get your face opened up with a razor blade

Don't you think that has more to do with possible alcoholism and anger issues...rather than sports? I see an underlying problem here.
edit on 7-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

From my experience, if your not playing in the game...You're drinkin your face off watching the ones who are!
edit on 7-4-2013 by minkmouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

For some strange reason your post made me think about all the junior hockey teams, softball, baseball, baton twirling clubs etc.that Hang out at the liquor store with hat in hand begging for you to support their junior team.

I never hung out, nor would they let me bum money at the liquor store for bicycle riding, parts, accesories like tires and tubes and bandages for me and my friends who rode bicycles all over the neighborhood when we were kids.

So why is it normal to bum for sports, but people would think it ridiculous to fund keeping neighborhood kids bicycles tuned up.

Would you like to donate to the junior neighborhood bicyclist fund?
Why is it OK to bum for THEIR favourite pastime?

'Cause it's sports dummy!

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Rome instituted the distraction as it fell, curious how ESPN showed up as we're falling.

All sports games can and are often fixed, so the investment seems really odd, considering the outcomes are often predetermined. Then again, professional wrestling does well.

Players are people, often kids, who are thought of as being far more important then they are.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

I had the same thought about sports as well so I assume this protocol will be an interesting read.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WontBeFooled
From the National Basketball Association to the National Football League.. just another element and distraction to consume the common persons time and energy. I know some people, actually i know tons of people (including myself) who indulge in sports daily/nightly.. and its almost all they converse about, all they think of and it plays an enormous role in keeping these people submerged in this safety net hoax that is our lives. No time to ask questions, the games on.

I feel twice as bad for those that are involved in the business, or those that play and base their whole lives around the sport. What little bit of free time they have has to be spent on running drills and forming plays. Stuck even deeper in the matrix.

It may not seem this serious, but as a person who is very indulged in sports I can still be aware of the problem, so that i may not let it contain me or keep me from having time to make others aware of the problem.
edit on 7-4-2013 by WontBeFooled because: (no reason given)

Hehe, I know how you feel. I love soccer and overally it takes lots of time. During the Euro and World Cups it has been guaranteed monthly vacation from the work place for years now. Every 2 years, a month off everything
Although overally I do not watch much matches, maybe once a week usually and during that time, I also check out the scores from last week.

I also play sports. Played basketball and soccer in quite high level (both 2nd strongest division in the country, although still amateur). Now I quit basketball, although still playing soccer in 3rd division. I do not feel as the drills are not bad for me. I love playing the sports and overally every drill is good for my body. Never had any problems with my weight and overally I am more fit than around 80-90% of people. And all of it with simply 2-3 practices a week.

Overally I believe everything is on the matter of keeping it in balance. I just take soccer as my hobby and it is normal to spend some time on your hobbies, especially with hobbies which are good for body or mind

edit on 7-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 0m3gakn1ght7

I had the same thought about sports as well so I assume this protocol will be an interesting read.

Except for the fact that I quoted almost all of the relevant part in my post. Still, lots of people give it crap as being a hoax but I say that something that describes many aspects of our world today so accurately has to have some truth behind it.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

I just finished reading 27 and I believe whoever wrote this was highly intelligent. The use of English here is a rare species.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
We are a late stage empire.It's all about the bread and circuses!
I'll take sports indulgence over celebrity worship and constant immersion in pop culture, though.
Sports are certainly a distraction, but one thing about sports that is better than other distracting circuses is that sports can be a community binding activity. For all our differences, the many subcultures in South Louisiana all come together on Sundays in fall to cheer for the Black and Gold. There is almost literally no crime in New Orleans for those 3 hours on Sundays in the fall.
So, yep, you are correct, but I'd say sports are healthier for our society than Reality TV or the worship of callow , self important dancing monkies in Hollywood.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Always strikes me as odd, this idea that enlightened people shouldn't have time for entertainment.

Sports are a distraction if you allow them to be an attraction. If you ask me you'd have to be pretty stupid and excessively addicted to sports, or anything really, to let it get in the way of stuff that matters.

I watch sports all the time and it doesn't stop me crushing political books and coming on forums like this to discuss the sort of topics I imagine you think sports distract from

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I don't disagree...but my 9 year old son is a superstar soccer player. Goddammit if I ain't going to help him achieve his best then what is the point of being a parent. It's what he loves doing, he has fun....and he's damn good.

Yes, it serves as a distraction but this is the world we are in and we need to best adapt to the current times until 'the event' happens. You still prepare spiritually and physically for it but you still accept and adapt to the current times...otherwise you perish....which is all well and good too because if you aren't comfortable in this realm then chances are you weren't meant to be here anyway.

Anyway, my son wants to be a superstar...and he wants to give what money he earns to his family and to the poor...but of course he wants a nice sports car too. At least he doesn't aim too high....A Nissan Skyline R34 GTR (I own an R32 Nissan Skyline GTR).

It's all a distraction. Life is a distraction. You could choose not to participate and simply meditate day in and day out but you would not prosper....and as mentioned you would perish but in doing so you would probably move on to the next realm because you discovered that you could choose to not exist in this physical realm anymore.....but this doesn't mean suicide...not by any stretch.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

It is way better to play the sport as a hobby than to sit on your butt.

I agree watching sports sucks the life out of you in terms of wasting time. Not
Only that but you also get hammered with tonnes of marketing ads.

Business wins and you lose!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

If you bring it up, you will find that first and foremost people are very protective of their sports as they are of their political teams. It is hard to even discuss without people becoming angry. if it causes a division among us rather then bringing us ALL together I deem it not good.

Does it promote love or hate, kindness or violence, togetherness or division?

Note: to sport players...playing a game for fun is very different then the sports paying millions to players and people not playing, but spectators who often worship one player or another beyond even the team worship.

There was a saying once that it is not the winning or losing but the way we play the game together...I don't think that applies anymore. people lose their marriage rather then give up sports obsessions, they sometimes kill because of anger over slurs (supposed or real) to "their team".

If you stop and think a bit you realize it is an odd thing to feel so close to persons you do not know, who are often not good people and yet you feel "love" for such and such player.

List of violent spectator incidents in sports

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 7-4-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

This is exactly how i should've started this thread lol

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Worldwide, different sports operate as religions for local populations and also operate across cultures and locations as global religions and religious experiences. Sports provide myths, narratives, frames of joy and despair. They act as religare- that which binds us and as relegere - ways to re-read our lives and context. Sports express faith, hope, charity, and despair. They demonstrate the possibilities and limitations of being human.

Source

Sport is an important facet of life, and as valid as religion and work etc.
You can choose to be distracted or submersed, or you can choose to accept it for what it is as an important fibre of the social fabric.

<< 1   >>

join