It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecclesiastes 9:11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or the favor to the learned; but time and chance happens to them all.

Just love this passage - it gives me inspiration for some reason and I am a layman not very religious at all.

But what does it mean?

To me it means God gives everybody a shot and what you do with it is up to you.

Would like to hear what people think about it.

edit on 6-4-2013 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

the meek shall inherit the earth,

not because they are meek,
but because they choose to be

xploder

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24

The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or the favor to the learned; but time and chance happens to them all.

As a blank statement without examples it's pretty meaningless. Battle to the strong against a weak foe would be right. However, if the foe is fewer in numbers (making them appear weak) but is intelligent in the art of war will greatly increase their odds of winning.

Food DOES come to the wealthy, but I've known very intelligent people that were financially retarded.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

It makes me think of enantiodromia. Eventually, things become their opposites. Yin becomes yang, wise become fools, swift becomes slow.

Enantiodromia (Greek: ἐνάντιος, enantios, opposite + δρόμος, dromos, running course) is a principle introduced by psychiatrist Carl Jung that the superabundance of any force inevitably produces its opposite. It is similar to the principle of equilibrium in the natural world, in that any extreme is opposed by the system in order to restore balance. However, in Jungian terms, a thing psychically transmogrifies into its Shadow opposite, in the repression of psychic forces that are thereby cathected into something powerful and threatening. This can be anticipated as well in the principles of traditional Chinese religion - as in Taoism and yin-yang.

edit on 7-4-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

It sounds like someone is stacking the deck.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Just love this passage - it gives me inspiration for some reason and I am a layman not very religious at all.

But what does it mean?

To me it means God gives everybody a shot and what you do with it is up to you.

From my point of view the moment of clarity when god and the disconnected soul say hi to each other again and the minds idea of what is real shifts..

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

i think it indicates that cheaters will likley get 'yah, no matter what your skills and abilities may be, but,

as jigger said, the quote needs more to see it in context.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

How can one be a cheater if he invented the game and makes the rules?
Everyone had a choice to sit at the table and play.

edit on 7-4-2013 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yes and the chapter and verse numbers are interesting considering the sentiments expressed at the end of the verse.
Here is another bible version of that scripture

I saw something else under the sun. The race isn't [won] by fast runners, or the battle by heroes. Wise people don't necessarily have food. Intelligent people don't necessarily have riches, and skilled people don't necessarily receive special treatment.
But time and unpredictable events overtake all of them.

9/11

That bible verse really applies to that day.

edit on 9-4-2013 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Lots of negativity in Ecclesiastes toward ambitions, like being strong or fast or wise or learned, since it is like "why bother" when you live and die, so why not just enjoy things while it lasts.
I don't recommend this book. I believe it is anti-Christian and Christians should rather spend their time reading the New Testament.

top topics

join