Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

I'm apologizing to cops. I am scum!

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I witnessed something today I have never seen before. A police maneuver that is designed to slow and ultimately stop traffic on a freeway. It is often referred to as a "round robin."

Seeing this for the first time, I grossly misinterpreted what I was witnessing. To me, it looked unmistakeably like a patrol car who was tailgating and driving recklessly. In reality, the patrol car was probably trying to get everyone's attention to slow them down.

So what did I do? The absolute worst thing I could have! I wrote an impulsive, tactless, overgeneralized rant derailing police.

Oddly enough, there was a car accident on the same stretch of road about an hour later involving a patrol car and a civilian vehicle. There are some facts that still don't exactly add up for me yet. But I will be patient and wait for the final news report on the entire incident. However, I am willing to give the police the benefit of the doubt here.

I sincerely apologize for my childish, sophomoric rant.

My rant was unfair and unjustified. I failed to deny ignorance on this one.

edit on 6-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Given the overall circumstances, I'm real happy to see how you handled it and came back. It takes a real big person to admit they may have been wrong on something and say it publicly. I didn't say anything on your rant because I was too upset to have anything fit to say. This thread changes my feelings entirely though.

Nicely done, Op.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
You need not apologize, most are scum. I wont list my interactions with them but I will say that none have been pleasant.

I think we should make the police an elected official. They keep a beat, and can run in their respective districts ie beat. This way we can have an oversight as to what they do and how they do it and we could hold them responsible by voting them out. I think they may be a lot more considerate and think twice before abusing a constituent.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by twoturtles
You need not apologize

I think I do. I flew off the handle because I saw something I didn't understand. I made a mistake and I won't try to rationalize that in any way. That's not what denying ignorance is all about.

I am scouring the local news websites and waiting for the nightly news to gather facts about the car crash I alluded to. Indeed, there was a crash involving a patrol cruiser on the same stretch of road, near the same time; but probably after the event I witnessed. How the two events are related (or not,) I'm not sure.

What is sure is that I reacted emotionally towards something I misinterpreted. And that's not cool

edit on 6-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

In fairness, they really ought to have Public Service announcements occasionally about that method in areas where it's used. It also ought to be at least one part of the driving exams and testing. One question to have to know anyway....

I saw this done a few times from the truck in California and heard my Father talk about it as it was done in the 80's. It's extremely dangerous for them to do, but only because people want to race around them when they go right for the round and then those on the right want to jump when the lone cop goes left. From what I saw, it's like herding cats until the drivers understand it's not some crazy cop just going bananas or something.

Thats a very dangerous 'ignorance' the State or County could solve but chooses not to, IMO.

edit on 7-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Hey! Everyone makes mistakes. I have had a similar experience before when I saw a police car doing that before. When you on the freeway you'll get used to seeing all sorts of accidents. So the police need ways to stop drivers.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

There are good, and bad, in all of us... in every profession out there.
Nice of you to admit you were wrong on this one, but there are still bad cops out there.
Hey, I'm in the "business", so I know first-hand.

I wish there were more good cops. I've met a few during my lifetime, but most are arrogant, power-controlling pigs!

Anyway, the thing here is that you realized your mistake on this one, and you came back with an apology.
Great job!!

top topics

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution