Seismic expert urges Jamaica to prepare for major earthquake

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Authorities in Jamaica have been urged by an American seismic expert to start long-term efforts to prepare for another major earthquake to impact the island.

The advice came from geophysics professor Eric Calais of Purdue University, who urged the country’s government and various stakeholders to understand that the threat is very real based on the area's history and active seismic activity.

Professor Calais, who visited the island as part of a mission with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), said most scientists agree that Jamaica will most likely be exposed to an earthquake with a magnitude of 7 or 7.5 on the Richter scale.

An earthquake of magnitude 7 on the Richter scale is considered "major" and is capable of widespread destruction.

Kingston was destroyed, with some 1,000 resultant deaths, in a 6.5-magnitude quake in 1907. If Jamaica were to be hit by a similar quake now, the island could suffer a $6.5 billion loss, nearly half of the island's gross domestic product, researchers with the University of the West Indies (UWI) have said.

More here:
www.caribbean360.com...

Of course with the massive earthquake swarm going on in the DR and PR, I have already warned the Caribbean, but who the heck is going to listen to me?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Those quakes keep working their way westward, and Jamaica could well see a big one. Or even without that. Because with the Haiti quake, and other quakes on the southern part of the Caribbean Plate, it seems that plate is becoming more unstable, and fidgeting, in what could be precursors to some major movement. But according to the naysayers, this is perfectly normal. Uh huh. Well according to this seismic expert, Jamaica is at considerable risk, and that puts Cuba, Haiti, and the DR/PR pretty much in the same boat.

But Jamaica perhaps worse, because the tension appears to be getting relived everywhere else in the area. So it stands to reason that Jamaica can only hold out so long before the stress tension must be released there too. And there is most probably been added stress redistributed from the Haiti quake that is festering near Jamaica.
edit on Sat Apr 6th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
You probably did not see but thread is already up about that info ..

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MariaLida

Yeah but that thread doesn't count, cause no one trusts theextinctionprotocol as a source.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by MariaLida

Yeah but that thread doesn't count, cause no one trusts theextinctionprotocol as a source.

Ok ok ..

I will flag it to0 ..

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

howdy TA,
Jamaica huh ?
alrighty then, i'm leaning toward Madagascar/SE Africa, so i guess we'll see.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics
top topics

join