It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Bitcoin Skype Malware Spreading At 2,000 Clicks Per Hour

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

The malware is creating it not destroying it...

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
Show me the bitcoin I can use after the government has shut it [the internet/electric grid/currency trading/markets/e-commerce/etc] off? Oh......yeah......

Do you honestly think that the dollar will be of value when and if the government decides to "shut off the internet/electric grid/currency trading/markets/e-commerce/etc"?

If TSHTF, doesn't matter how much of ANY modern day currency you possess, it will be useless in a SHTF scenario. So your argument is moot.

Bitcoin is by far the best direction to move in at the moment.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko

Show me the bitcoin I can use after the government has shut it [the internet/electric grid/currency trading/markets/e-commerce/etc] off? Oh......yeah......

Do you honestly think that the dollar will be of value when and if the government decides to "shut off the internet/electric grid/currency trading/markets/e-commerce/etc"?

If TSHTF, doesn't matter how much of ANY modern day currency you possess, it will be useless in a SHTF scenario. So your argument is moot.

Bitcoin is by far the best direction to move in at the moment.

Oh, how far behind you are. I made a few posts in this thread; you should review them.

I said that bitcoin is at the mercy of all the things that our fiat Fed system are. Neither of them give you something of intrinsic value in your hand when the SHTF. The stupid idea of "beating the bankers" by putting even more of peoples' hard-earned [worthless] cash and [real-value] gold and silver into bitcoin is a scam from the top.

But you're wrong: I WILL have modern-day currency in my hands that will be worth far more by that point: junk silver. The least "real" money any of us are going to see for a while.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Skype got infected on my main computer, so I now use an old computer I was given to run Skype on, the computer is only switched on to use Skype, I don't use it for anything else. It is not even connected to the internet when not in use!

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I have used bit coins a few times... The only website I knew of that accepted them was the silk road... Not sure if I am allowed to say what was purchased but it was worth every penny...

But if you can explain the virus to me in simple terms that would be appreciated...

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Bitcoins are awesome. I bought some a couple years ago for an underground website. Never used them now they are worth five times as much.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by GanjaBudz

Take those bit coins to the silk road and pick your self up Something Nice.. Judging by your name it's right up your alley..

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Bitcoins are basically computer generated encrypted virtual money. Currently you use your video cards to "mine bitcoins"

Originally posted by GanjaBudz
Bitcoins are awesome. I bought some a couple years ago for an underground website. Never used them now they are worth five times as much.

I am hearing that it will likely cap at around 200 so cash in around then.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Fear mongering by TPTB to stop people investing in these. Mine are fine, despite using Skype and I'm glad I bought them.

This currency is not and will not, be controlled by any government, invest now folks

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This virus doesn't steal them, it infects peoples computers and uses those computers to make them for the virus creator. This changes nothing security wise.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Oh, how far behind you are. I made a few posts in this thread; you should review them.

I said that bitcoin is at the mercy of all the things that our fiat Fed system are. Neither of them give you something of intrinsic value in your hand when the SHTF. The stupid idea of "beating the bankers" by putting even more of peoples' hard-earned [worthless] cash and [real-value] gold and silver into bitcoin is a scam from the top.

But you're wrong: I WILL have modern-day currency in my hands that will be worth far more by that point: junk silver. The least "real" money any of us are going to see for a while.

How is your silver going to hold up in an SHTF scenario? It doesn't really have intrinsic value either; people just believe it has value because it's shiny. In a true SHTF scenario everyone will want food, water, and supplies, your silver will be worthless.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SSFlorida
Well, IF and WHEN the dollar collapses and the internet is shut down let's see how well you do with your Bitcoins....

And let's see how well you do with your dollar

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

New Bitcoin Skype Malware Spreading At 2,000 Clicks Per Hour

storyfic.com

A new piece of malware is rocking the Internet society now as it has been found that it is spreading through Skype which basically uses the infected computers to mine for Bitcoins and then make the owner of the malware money. It was discovered by by security firm Kaspersky, the malware is named “Trojan.Win32.Jorik.IRCbot.xkt,” and is spreading at an alarming rate.
(visit the link for the full news article)

I just found this one on my system :

"VBS/CoinMiner.c trojan"

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

That's not a reason not to use bitcoin. that's a reason not to download viruses like an idiot.

How can a new virus that has 0 definitions out for it be protected against?

It's utterly impossible to fully protect yourself against malware and viruses. Even if you are running computer-crippling live protection, there will be viruses developed that will waltz right on by. Someone isn't an "idiot" because they get a virus. Many people wouldn't possibly know all the ways they could be infected. Heck, I know fellow IT professionals that don't know all the loopholes on a computer. For example.. stuff like _javascript and the "allow opening of non-pdf" options which are ON by default in Adobe Reader. You really think someone is an idiot because they didn't realize those should be disabled?

Nothing and no one is hack-proof. Which is why an electronic money is idiotic.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

That's not a reason not to use bitcoin. that's a reason not to download viruses like an idiot.

How can a new virus that has 0 definitions out for it be protected against?

It's utterly impossible to fully protect yourself against malware and viruses. Even if you are running computer-crippling live protection, there will be viruses developed that will waltz right on by. Someone isn't an "idiot" because they get a virus. Many people wouldn't possibly know all the ways they could be infected. Heck, I know fellow IT professionals that don't know all the loopholes on a computer. For example.. stuff like _javascript and the "allow opening of non-pdf" options which are ON by default in Adobe Reader. You really think someone is an idiot because they didn't realize those should be disabled?

Nothing and no one is hack-proof. Which is why an electronic money is idiotic.

Not necessarily stupid, it's that they then complain about getting 'viruses' from the mean and intelligent hackers. Also, Adobe for security? You have to be kidding me. Use something like MuPDF or SumatraPDF if you want something good, not Adobe Reader.

Another thing is knowing of these sorts of things in the first place. If you complain that a website is using JavaScript to hijack your computer, there are plenty of addons for browsers that disable it on demand.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Businesses typically use Adobe Reader as a standard for PDF viewing. It's not just home users.

And you honestly can't expect your average home user to know how to completely safeguard a computer. Most tech-savvy users still have holes in their security. People don't know what activex controls to enable in IE, nor that something like adblocker plus even exists for Firefox, or how to configure their firewall or what to do with UAC, remote control settings, how to update their antivirus, which to use, how to protect their wireless routers, proper password security, email security, etc. etc. Your average Joe User who has a career of their own doesn't have the hours to dump into computer security. And it's ridiculous to call them idiots because they are not super tech savvy.

I don't even consider people who get duped by a clever phishing attempt to be a "stupid" user. It's not their realm. It's not what they are good at. I bet you that most folks on this site have gaping security holes on their own computers.
edit on 7-4-2013 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I find this funny... not funny that its infecting computers and making them slow down, but funny because I uninstalled skype recently because I had no need for it anymore, its just funny how I may have avoided a virus just by luck alone.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Yet another reason to not use bitcoin. Put your money into something you can hold in your hand like gold or silver not into something that can disappear due to malware or the net going down.

...and banks freezing your assets, and MF global robbing your gold in the bank, or the troika seizing your pension. Those are the times of savagery we are entering.

Only having a secret stash of gold and silver will make it safe.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

It's a Skype-related problem, not Bitcoin!

People just have to stop using Skype, or use a safer alternative. Skype is proprietary license, which makes it weaker to security threats than an open source program would.

Skype's security issues
edit on 7/4/13 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
So how exactly do they generate money from this?

Im interested.. for research purposes. *evil grin*

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join