It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF Seeks 'Massive' Database of Personal Info: 'Assets, Relatives, Associates and More'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
What is proposed in this article doesn't seem very sensational at face value, but I will attempt to break this down, and see what others think. I'm not trying to be a sensationalist, but I do like to keep my eyes on things that could involve limiting more freedoms of myself and the people.

A recent solicitation from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) reveals that the agency is seeking a "massive" online database capable of pulling up individuals' personal information, connections and associates.

On March 28, ATF posted the notice on FedBizOpps.gov, entitled "Investigative System." The solicitation was updated on April 5 with a few minor changes.

The document says that the system will be utilized by staff "to provide rapid searches on various entities for example; names, telephone numbers, utility data and reverse phone look-ups, as a means to assist with investigations, and background research on people, assets and businesses."

The system is described as a "massive online data repository system that contains a wide variety of data sources both historically and current that can be utilized in support of investigations and backgrounds."

So, the ATF is calling for a massive repository of personal information that they can conduct "rapid searches" on various entities. They want to be able to get your Name, telephone number, utility data, and be able to conduct reverse phone look-ups as well. Now, on the outside this doesn't seem like much of an issue, because the ATF should be able to get information faster and more accurately so they can "conduct business"
by getting the true known criminals off the streets, right?

But, we all know ATF doesn't have a stellar record, as they've been the main focus of Eric Holder's fast and the furious program. This kind of news worries me also, because it will allow them to have access to a database of pretty much everybody in the US(I assume, the article wasn't that specific). So, every citizen in the US could be a potential victim of the "pre-crime" system we've seen starting to emerge.

The overview of the solicitation states:

Staff will utilize "a number of internal databases as well as external sources to provide timely and relevant information and intelligence products to law enforcement agencies at the federal, state and local levels."

The system "provides a means to rapidly check records across the country" and is "necessary in assisting investigators, agents and analyst to find people, their assets, relatives, associates and more."

The ATF says they will use this system to provide information to Intelligence Analysts, Special Agents, Inspectors, Financial Investigators and Law Enforcement.

The investigative system will allow ATF to "obtain exact matches from partial source data searches such as, incomplete social security numbers, address, VIN numbers, etc." The system will also have the ability to "link structured and unstructured data to find connection points between two or more individuals."

So despite how harmless this sounds, I definitely think this future database could be exploited and used for nefarious reasons, and especially since there is a huge push to try and limit the 2nd amendment, and ATF has been known for corruption. So, I'd like some of you guys to weigh in on this subject. Are we moving towards pre-crime with this system, or will this system just be used for official use, and stop real criminals? I'm kind of skeptical.

CNSNews
R--OPTION - Investigative System

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Well, it's the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. They wouldn't need that information for alcohol....certainly not for tobacco....so that just leaves the Firearms.

I guess if they want to confiscate any guns, they could easily go to friends and relatives to make sure a person didn't hand off their guns somewhere else for safe-keeping.

Major governmental overreach is never a good thing.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Well, it's the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. They wouldn't need that information for alcohol....certainly not for tobacco....so that just leaves the Firearms.

I guess if they want to confiscate any guns, they could easily go to friends and relatives to make sure a person didn't hand off their guns somewhere else for safe-keeping.

Major governmental overreach is never a good thing.

This is something I thought of, the "See something Say something" crowd. I don't know how well you consider your friends as friends, but if they had to roll over on you when the time came, it would almost certainly be assured that they would.

If there is an incentive program offered, people might willingly submit their info to this database, no questions asked. My other question is, how did they already get all of this info to enter into the database.. I assume CIA,FBI,DHS and any other alphabet agency that can come to mind?

new topics

join