It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know about depression. Plus how I helped a friend..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I am not a doctor either. I get depressed at the state of the world today. I am more inclined to wanting to know more about it than others around me. I get upset with the injustices, greed and war. I also know that as much as I disapprove, that ultimately these things have no direct effect on me unless I get too involved with the misery of it. Being a little more aware is a certain kind of hell. I think Chris Rock said that.

I think its good that I care more to want to know the truth of things and then put that in its place of not being overwhelmed by the tragedy of it. Look objectively at what you see. Look at the outside world and remember it is outside... don't let too much of it come in and start the worry cycle within you.

Remember to laugh. Don't be so serious about stuff.

I know thats easier said than done.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Your post reminded me of laughter clubs. Always wanted to try it.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by an0nThinker

As stupid as that video first appeared to me, I had to laugh along with the others. Because laughter is catching.

Laughter releases Endorfins

To each their own about what gets them to laughing. The important thing is to laugh as much as possible. It is the perfect drug to counter depression.

If you refuse to even try, then no drug is going to help.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
reply to post by rickymouse

The "eating for your bloodtype" idea is an interesting one, isn't it??
Eversince I was very young I recognized that I couldn't deal well with breads or pasta or dairy, and was only drawn to veggies and meat. Then I read the blood type theory and found that I was eating exactly what it claimed was right for my blood type. Made me wonder....
--------------------------

I almost bought this book yesterday-

Anyone read it? I wonder if the author covers any research into the effects upon us of things like depression due to bad eating habits? I am not exposed to thigns like premade and fast foods, so I felt it is less relevant for me, but I will be back in the US soon, and thinking maybe I should have myself mentally prepared for the onslaught of temptation that I know starts to hit me as soon as I am in an american airport.....

I haven't read that book. I have read and analyzed the blood type book. The major point of the blood type diet is the agglutination of bloodcells that occurs. Eating an onion on your hamburger will help that as does eating garlic bread with spaghetti. Silica in the diet works fine, trouble is the silica is in the peel and the fruits we eat are sprayed with chemicals and need to be peeled. I have found other good edible sources of silica in nature.

The Western diet with all it's preservation methods and overcooking of foods without evaluating what was happening in the old age proven recipes and techniques of cooking led to a lot of sick people. We destroyed ourselves by believing in science's past flawed releases of information that were let out to boost the economy or revenues of corporations. A protein is not a protein as they were saying years ago.

They also changed the food and the soils are depleted of micronutrients in many places. The soils around here are low in iodine. Up here we need iodine supplements for us and our farm animals if you eat local.
edit on 7-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
While I think everything in the OP is true.....
it's leaving out something very important:

There are many cases of depression that aren't caused from simple nutritional deficiencies. You're simplifying a complex issue. And yes, it is a problem that is often not medicated properly. But in ALL cases, it's still a problem.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

That is exactly right. Star for you. However, I am not talking about psychological issues. My hypothesis is that nutrition is a major cause of depression. Even with psychological issues there are things that will make you feel better that don't have big pharma stamped on it. No one profits from it because these things are non-patentable and hence these safer/natural things are overlooked.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I had a shrink when about 3 years ago... She knew ALL of the stuff you talked about in this thread and she would almost never put her patients on medication-From what she told me at least... She'd talk about how going for a walk can do wonders to the body, how eating the right foods does wonders to the mind and how no one really needed medicine of any kind..

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

There are many cases of depression that aren't caused from simple nutritional deficiencies. You're simplifying a complex issue. And yes, it is a problem that is often not medicated properly. But in ALL cases, it's still a problem.
Your statement is somewhat accurate,.
however, although some may have some sort of genetic history that runs in the family,.I still believe that nearly all cases of depression can be greatly reduced through nutrition and natural supplements.Doctors know this,. but the big pharma has such a grasp on society and the medical community,.they continuously troll the truth to attempt to debunk and cause doubt.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by toastyr

Hi toastyr

Interesting about the magnesium therapy. Never heard of it.

As it happens last year I went to the doc for severe palpitations. Told him it was so bad it felt like an anxiety attack but I could tell which came first. He put me on clonopin for anxiety. I had to ask him to "just listen to my heart" as I have a bad valve. Later went to cardiologist who did an ekg and said I seemed fine and offered a beta blocker. I declined. Instead I started taking magnesium and within a couple of days... no more palpatations.

We all have to do our own due diligence and resort to a med only as a last resort.

Some people use magnesium for diseases of the heart and blood vessels including chest pain, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, high levels of “bad” cholesterol called low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, low levels of “good” cholesterol called high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, heart valve disease (mitral valve prolapse), and heart attack.

for full list

Web MD

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing~
The whole is different than the sum of its parts...
As the disciplines integrate, we will see more of the integral nature of the whole human!

LOVE

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

One of the things worth mentioning, not so much in response to what you have said but rather in conjunction - is that nutritional deficiencies can be sampled from the patient, observed in a lab/hospital setting and then 'medicated' for ( tell them to 'eat more this' or to buy certain vitamin supplement etc ), but the point is that MEDICINE IS A SCIENCE. Psychiatry is not a science, I would urge anyone to walk into a psychiatrists doors someday to test this: Psychiatrists prescribe based on what the patient describes their symptoms to be. There is no blood test, no Xray, no scientific method.

I feel it is worth mentioning here because as you put it, some cases are not caused from simple nutritional deficiencies. If so, then what? I am not literally asking, psychiatry is a host of rumors and implied guesses, but other than minor observations on consistent diagnoses - the patient of the psychiatrist is willingly allowing the psychiatry to 'guess and check' over and over which chemical will work on them. Hate to sound very negative, sorry about that none is directed to you and your quoted post is only meant to lead on what I wanted to say, peace

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

The "eating for your bloodtype" idea is an interesting one, isn't it??
Eversince I was very young I recognized that I couldn't deal well with breads or pasta or dairy, and was only drawn to veggies and meat. Then I read the blood type theory and found that I was eating exactly what it claimed was right for my blood type. Made me wonder....
--------------------------

I haven't seen the other book you mentioned, but I do have the Complete blood type encycopedia eat right for your blood type book. I like it and find it interesting. The last section of the book is the part I look at the most, it is where they list the bloodtypes and name specific foods. They go across in a simple chart format listing for each blood type for that specific item of food.

For example:
Fish:
Abalone: A - neutral, B - neutral, AB - neutral, O - avoid: induces intestinal imbalance.
(just from glancing over the meat and fish section O seems to be able to tolerate as neutral most anything even if the others have to avoid it.)
Grains:
Wild Rice: A - neutral, B - avoid, AB - Beneficial: contains an agglutinin that modifies disease susceptibility, O - neutral.

Its interesting and I will say I strongly prefer protein which is an O trait apparently. Even if I eat alot of food I can still feel hungry if I don't have protein in the meal. I am not 100% sure if I fully buy the blood type diet concept, but on the surface it isn't a bad idea. The human body is like a very complex machine and food does break down and have different effects on it... so it's an interesting concept.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by an0nThinker

S&F for starting an excellent thread. Personally, I have no doubts that Big Pharma is poisoning us for profit.
What upsets me most, is that they're poisoning the kids with high-powered drugs -- the next generation.

So many people still refuse to see.

I also believe in natural cures.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by troubleshooter

Too much molybdenum makes your hair turn white. Too much Selenium and you get thinning of hair. Both are essential but have to be in balance. I prefer to study foods because food nutrients are better than supplements. The problem comes when you can't make the proper enzymes for various reasons.

That's because molybdenum chelates copper.

Most people are more likely to be Selenium deficient than have enough to cause issues.
edit on 8/4/13 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

I was an active child. I've seen kids put on drugs for much less than the shvt* I used to pull when younger. Running around the class, playing with bugs, I got in my first fight in 1st grade. Today any of those will get you put on drugs and maybe even a call to child services. Kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
:

One of the things worth mentioning, not so much in response to what you have said but rather in conjunction - is that nutritional deficiencies can be sampled from the patient, observed in a lab/hospital setting and then 'medicated' for ( tell them to 'eat more this' or to buy certain vitamin supplement etc ), but the point is that MEDICINE IS A SCIENCE. Psychiatry is not a science, I would urge anyone to walk into a psychiatrists doors someday to test this: Psychiatrists prescribe based on what the patient describes their symptoms to be. There is no blood test, no Xray, no scientific method.

No, I am afraid you are mistaken. You may be thinking of Psychology?

Typically when you go to a psychiatrist, they do not spend much time in "talk therapy", their first gesture is blood testing, generally. Taken from Wikipedia (only because it is worded better than I can do)-

Psychiatry is the medical specialty devoted to the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental disorders. These include various affective, behavioural, cognitive and perceptual abnormalities

The problem that sometimes causes disagreement and controversy between different types of mental health professionals (psychiatrists, psychotherapists, psychologists...) is that though you can find a person with depression has certain chemical imbalances, that doesn't indicate whether the depression is caused by the chemical imbalance, or whether the chemical imbalance is caused by the depression!

So a common objection to the medical treatment is- you can get rid of the symptoms with medicine, but then the person remains dependant upon the medication, because the source or cause of the problem is not dealt with.

Where verbal expression and some therapeutic exercises are the common proposed "treatment for cause" in the US, what I found interesting in France is that what is proposed is very down to earth changes- "find a different job, move to a different environment, get a divorce, take up a sport..."

How many people end up taking antidepressants, or stuffing themselves with vitamins and spending hours a day at the gym because they are in an unhappy marriage, or a job that is not right for them?

edit on 8-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuye

it certainly was NOT off topic! it is wonderful advice that everyone should read thoroughly. a real gem.

i'd just like to mention another modality that may help some people.

the tensions in your neck and upper back mainly, will effect the occipital/atlantal joint by way of the trapezius muscle (and a few others) that rise from the mid back, fasten to the shoulder blade and rise up to the occiput. the OA joint is the one between the skull and the top of the spine. lifting heavy weights, it could be babies and young children, or even a mental attitude, for prolonged periods of time will put strain on these and other muscles creating possible problems with that vertebral joint such as limiting its motion. this in turn with susceptible individuals can be another cause of depression. such was my condition 30 odd years ago until a chance meeting with an osteopath and upon release it seemed like the world was freshly painted.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
You've got to laugh at these amateur psychopharmacologists.

You know why "Big Pharma" promote antidepressants?

Because they WORK.

They make a killing of course, but that's the American dream.

Chewing holly leaves marinated in bats' urine, however impractical, might help some folk.

But antidepressants are where its at if you're depressed.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Most problems with depression is caused by diet. If a person changes their diet a little it gets rid of the imbalances. Eating too healthy can cause depression. The big problems with people is they don't believe this and because of that have to take meds. I study the Pharmaceuticals chemistry. Don't eat salami and you may need a pill to make you act normal. Avoid all glutamates instead of excessive free glutamates and you will need a pill. Don't drink any caffeine at all when you feel like one and you may need a pill. Even the cereal we eat for breakfast contains glutamates and can calm us. Milk contains glutamates to calm the child...or calf

Nitrogen is a nervine, it keeps the fire from burning out of control. It is necessary to have this in our diet in the right form. Magnesium can keep the muscles moving smoothly if in the right amounts in the body and make us feel better. Molybdenum keeps us from running out of oxygen because it is part of our process of hauling oxygen. If you can't get oxygen to the cells, it stresses a person. Sulfur compounds are necessary in the proper amounts and keep us healthy and often happy because we are healthy.

Have fun and be happy, everyone's version of happy is different. I'm happiest if I am learning new things. I prefer to learn the truth instead of conditioned knowledge.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

You may be right. But what always makes me question the theory that all depression is caused by diet is that you see people who eat in all sorts of ways and still are not depressed.

There is more to it, I suspect.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join