It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travyon Martin Parents Settle Wrongful Death Claim for Over One Million Dollars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by NavyDoc
I imagine that as things progressed, they saw that the chances of an aquital were actualy quite high and that a finding of 'not guilty' on ZImmerman might hurt a future civil suit and they took what they could get when they could get it.

If I'm following your line of thought ....

The parents rejected the one million $$, thinking that they could 'feed the greed' and get even more later on. But the insurance company turned around and offered them less the second time BECAUSE it looks like ZImmerman will be found innocent? That's possible except ... nothing new has come out from the time the first offer was made that would indicate for sure the guilt or innocence of Zimmerman. Or did I miss some information??

Am I following you right? That your speculation is that perhaps something has made it clear that Zimmerman will be found not guilty and therefore the insurance offered much less with the second offer and the parents grabbed it knowing it was the only money that would be coming their way??

(That's speculation worthy of a conspiracy site!
)

I dunno. The old adage is "one bird in the hand is better than two in the bush." I don't know anything new, just postulating a wild-assed guess as to why they rejected a big offer earlier but settled for a smaller one later. Usually, when someone holds out for more money but settles for lesser money after time suggests that they didn;t have as good a hand as they thought in the first place. Another possability is they got tired and just wanted it over with or they had bills to pay in the here and now and couldn't wait for later. As I said, wild-assed guess.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
If the chances of acquittal are so high, why, oh why is Zimbo's lawyer not taking advantage of an immunity hearing?

Zimbo??? I guess we know that you've made up your mind on his guilt already.

And you are totally undecided, I bet. I don't mind saying that, imo, based on the available evidence Zim is at least guilty of manslaughter.

Could it be that the insurance firm representing the HOA pointed this out, and they decided they didn't want to be seen backing George Zimmerman in any way, shape or form, perhaps?

OR .. they got shook down for more money and paid it so that they would be safe from 'retaliation' by Martins supporters and the New Black Panthers (who have been issuing death threats in this case).

How would paying Trayvon's family make them safe from "Martin's supporters," exactly? Go on, try and explain the HOA's logic on this one.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I imagine that as things progressed, they saw that the chances of an aquital were actualy quite high and that a finding of 'not guilty' on ZImmerman might hurt a future civil suit and they took what they could get when they could get it.

If the chances of acquittal are so high, why, oh why is Zimbo's lawyer not taking advantage of an immunity hearing? Could it be that the insurance firm representing the HOA pointed this out, and they decided they didn't want to be seen backing George Zimmerman in any way, shape or form, perhaps?

That still does not explain why the family rejected a larger settlement proposal previously only to accept a lesser amount now.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

That still does not explain why the family rejected a larger settlement proposal previously only to accept a lesser amount now.

We don't know that they accepted a smaller one now. Most believe that they accepted a larger one. Not much time passed between the two offers. And nothing has come out in the news to suggest that any new evidence has come out to change the case.

ETA .. but I do like your conspiracy type brainstorming on the subject.

edit on 4/8/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

And you are totally undecided, I bet. I don't mind saying that, imo, based on the available evidence Zim is at least guilty of manslaughter.

I'm thinking he'll be found guilty of manslaughter. I don't know if he really is guilty or if he's innocent and Martin is guilty .. but I think that is what the court will decide. That's my opinion based on what has been in the news. Of course, that could end up being totally wrong because a lot of what is in the news is B.S. and spin. (Like CBS selectively editing tapes to make Zimmerman out to be racist ..etc etc)

How would paying Trayvon's family make them safe from "Martin's supporters," exactly? Go on, try and explain the HOA's logic on this one.

If the Home Owners Association didn't pay off the Martin Parents .. the Parents would have complained in the press .. and the radical supporters (New Black Panthers etc, etc) would easily have turned to violence. These people have already put out 'wanted dead' statements about Zimmerman and issued threats against attorneys. It's not far fetched to think they could expand that kind of tactic. The New Black Panthers do that in many places and with many different things ...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

We don't know that they accepted a smaller one now. Most believe that they accepted a larger one. Not much time passed between the two offers.

If an additional offer was made, and the latter offer WAS higher, how would that make you feel about their estimation of Zim's chances?

And nothing has come out in the news to suggest that any new evidence has come out to change the case.

Yet, they went and handed over money regarding a case which Zimmerman's defenders seem to think there wasn't even enough evidence to charge poor George with a crime, let alone drag him through the torture of a criminal trial.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So, Trayvon's parents are in cahoots with the NBP, as well as being money-grabbers? Why don't you just go right ahead and say they are funding them?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

We don't know that they accepted a smaller one now. Most believe that they accepted a larger one. Not much time passed between the two offers. And nothing has come out in the news to suggest that any new evidence has come out to change the case.

ETA .. but I do like your conspiracy type brainstorming on the subject.

Oh, I must have misinterpeted the article. I was under the impression that they did. Nevermind...I'll go stand in the corner now.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackz28
sad all around ,but if trayvon was white you would have never even heard of this case

edit on 7-4-2013 by blackz28 because: (no reason given)

And they might not have initially tried to just let the guy go for killing him.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

So, Trayvon's parents are in cahoots with the NBP, as well as being money-grabbers? Why don't you just go right ahead and say they are funding them?

I didn't say any such thing about them being in cahoots with the New Black Panthers.
As for being money grabbers ... yes that's what it looks like to me.
But as far as being in cahoots with the New Black Panthers .... I didn't say that at all.
What I said was that the Homeowners Association has every right to be afraid of the
nutter extremist New Black Panthers who have made death threats.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Nooooo don't stand in a corner. You got the impression that it was lower because there was a poster on here with some kind of agenda who was making insinuations that it was.

My thing is this ..... the parents were offered a million dollars and rejected it. Then another offer came in after that and they accepted. The parents aren't going to reject a million dollar offer and then turn around and accept something much lower. That doesn't make sense. The second offer almost had to be over a million dollars, like the news story claims.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

If an additional offer was made, and the latter offer WAS higher, how would that make you feel about their estimation of Zim's chances?

At this time I don't have an opinion as to if Zimmerman is innocent or guilty .. and at this time I don't have an opinion as to if Martin was out 'causing trouble' or if he was just an innocent 17 year old. I'm letting the facts come forth in the case via the trial. There is too much spin and hype in the media to know which information about that night is real and which isn't.

So the Home Owners Association offers don't mean anything to me either way.

I see it as a whole different subject ....

Either the parents are receiving compensation for the death of Martin and the Home Owners Association is guilty of some kind of neglect ...

OR the parents are shaking down the Home Owners Association for over a million in cash even though the Home Owners Association isn't liable for the death of Martin.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

You seem to have a very low opinion of Trayvon Martin's parents. Still, you are no doubt one of the online defender's of their son's killer, so that's hardly to be unexpected.

Well.... I'm one of those that believes strongly in the Innocent until Proven Guilty ...ESPECIALLY when there is very serious doubt and questions as to who did what to whom and exactly what the sequence of events were. Other cases..I'm not so open about in my own mind ...like a spree killer in Colorado where I recently posted with very little, if any benefit of the doubt given. Different circumstances (before a sharp eye brings that up for contradiction or something)

You're right...I do have a very low opinion of his parents and I'm not rehashing the whole case here but to say, they made their bed of public opinion from people like me in their actions..or LACK of action at the start.

Now? It's the payday and the cash out. Go for everyone in sight, settle as soon as the numbers are right for them and the attorneys to cash out BIG on ..and screw truth or any inkling of making ANYONE pay more than paper money for any of this.

As I noted? They WOULD have gotten cash if they pushed to a jury trial. The payday STILL would have come, since that IS their overriding priority by the evidence of their own actions from the start to present. The payout would just have come a bit later and after PROOF of liability and public acceptance of it was established.

Nope.. I have NO respect for parents who would lose their kid, believe as they claim that it WAS 100% unjustified...but bypass any true efforts at accountability to grab the riches. That, isn't justice. THAT is pathetic.

*Of course... If they pushed to a trial..they MAY have found evidence doesn't support their assumptions, and payday would have been lost. There is that and perhaps as much or more the priority than the quick cash-out.
edit on 8-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by airforce47

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one million dollars is tag for the death of a troublesome youth in this nation, I hope the parents get their do reward for their obviously money geared wish. They all full of crap.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Nope.. I have NO respect for parents who would lose their kid, believe as they claim that it WAS 100% unjustified...but bypass any true efforts at accountability to grab the riches. That, isn't justice. THAT is pathetic.

How have they bypassed "efforts at accountability"? There's going to be a trial. The whole thing is going to come out in court anyway and this payment doesn't affect that at all.

I note that you extend Zimmerman the full courtesy of a supposition of his innocence until proven otherwise, but seem keen to draw conclusions about Martin's family and the reasons for the settlement that are just unsupported suppositions. Odd that you would employ such a double standard.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by JuniorDisco

How have they bypassed "efforts at accountability"? There's going to be a trial. The whole thing is going to come out in court anyway and this payment doesn't affect that at all.

I note that you extend Zimmerman the full courtesy of a supposition of his innocence until proven otherwise, but seem keen to draw conclusions about Martin's family and the reasons for the settlement that are just unsupported suppositions. Odd that you would employ such a double standard.

Okay, let me be clear for the last time I'm going to say this...as people are choosing to ignore and cherry pick what I'm saying here. I'm about done debating brick walls.

In the United States Justice System, Civil Court operates under DRAMATICALLY different rules of evidence than does the criminal court system. Preponderance of the Evidence is the standard required for a finding in favor of the plaintiff. This is opposed to BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT in a Criminal Court. Civil cases are normally where much of the stuff a jury never hears in a criminal court will come out and be heard.

If we're looking for justice and truth in criminal court? It'll be a long search with disappointing results almost every time.

The purpose of a civil suit is one of two things. TRUTH and accountability against those who criminal court can NEVER touch, like the HOA. Or.....to exploit an event for cash in pocket. The best indicator as to which someone is after is how quickly they settle ..if at all.

Now, some can say "but but but but....They will sue some more! Another trial will come!" abd I'll say, getting to trial in the first place is ALWAYS a crap shoot to the Judge presiding in that courtroom on that case and circumstances. THIS one was obviously good to go and they wasted the opportunity to get rich. I hope their kid would approve. I find it a pathetic example of materialism over principle in as large a way as might be imagined.

Now... On the "killer"..as it's obvious he IS guilty to many, despite conflicting statements by many and injuries consistent with mutual combat (as legal terms often describe it), I am not going to be as quick as the President of the United States was to declare this a guilty man without so much as a trial. I want to see the criminal trial and I'll be watching it very closely when it comes..............but no criminal trial will *EVER* match civil court for the ability to get at the TRUTH, not simply the law for end result.

That truth is something we may never see ...and it's obvious, the parents couldn't care THAT much about when a stack of cash is calling their name to ...just sign this agreement making all terms and conditions secret forever ....while no one had to admit a thing, on anything.
I hope that clarified things a tad.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JuniorDisco

Exactly. It's "innocent until proven guilty" for the living guy who carried the gun, but the dead, unarmed teen gets his memory dragged through every bit of mud that can be found. Then, after they've finished with his corpse, they direct their attention to the motivation of the dead teen's parents.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

It's innocent until proven guilty on BOTH of them until the FACTS are known. Many suggest Trayvon attacked and started this. Others suggest 100% the opposite. The truth is something we can't KNOW without having been there ...and at this rate? May never know. That's the whole problem.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

It's innocent until proven guilty on BOTH of them until the FACTS are known.

Except for the fact that one of the parties has already been executed and can't tell his side of the story.

No justice for Trayvon....

edit on 8-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
90% of the time it is about power and money- a good ol fashioned shakedown

same ol same ol

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join