It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Predicted, James Holmes Was Taking Violence-Linked Antidepressant Drugs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It comes as no surprise to many of us that pharmaceutical drugs played their part in warping the mind of this young man.

I don't want this thread to turn into a conspiracy discussing regarding the actions and events of that day. This thread is to discuss the potent effects and clear consequences of feeding drugs to our children by age 5.

Source

As the LA Times reports, the following prescription medication was found:

“…prescription medication for sertraline, a generic version of Zoloft used to treat depression, panic disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder; and Clonazepam, usually prescribed to treat anxiety and panic attacks”

Prescription drug abuse that is found with antidepressants, that even at normal levels have been linked to violence, suicide, and aggression.

Side effects for the baseline drug Prozac alone include:

Suicidal behavior
Suicidal thoughts
Violent actions and reckless behavior

And once again, these were side effects that up until 2005, when Harvard psychiatrist Martin Teicher blew the whistle on the cover up, were completely hidden from the public. As detailed in the USA Today article on the subject, Teicher explains how Prozac manufacturer Eli Lilly & Co. lied for 15 years denying the very real link between Prozac and suicide. In his own words, Teicher said that the public was being treated like ”guinea pigs” in a mass experiment.

We know that big pharma will do anything to get a product out to market and then do anything to keep the black label from appearing on the packaging. It's no surprise that many of these drugs still aren't labeled as psychologically harmful.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
These drugs contribute to a lot more than just violent tendencies, they can also take away emotion.

I was on an antidepressant for a couple of weeks once, and that's what I noticed. Zero emotion. Like a lobotomy, I'm presuming.
I took myself off it, realizing that was not how I wanted to feel.

Now they're raising children on these drugs from a very young age, and I think some of them are growing up with no sense of conscious. No caring whether something is wrong. No caring if they hurt or kill others.

Made psychopaths....

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
John Noveske, big time rifle manufacturer died in car crash. Last post on facebook was :

Eric Harris age 17 (first on Zoloft then Luvox) and Dylan Klebold aged 18 (Columbine school shooting in Littleton, Colorado), killed 12 students and 1 teacher, and wounded 23 others, before killing themselves. Klebold's medical records have never been made available to the public.

Jeff Weise, age 16, had been prescribed 60 mg/day of Prozac (three times the average starting dose for adults!) when he shot his grandfather, his grandfather's girlfriend and many fellow students at Red Lake, Minnesota. He then shot himself. 10 dead, 12 wounded.

Cory Baadsgaard, age 16, Wahluke (Washington state) High School, was on Paxil (which caused him to have hallucinations) when he took a rifle to his high school and held 23 classmates hostage. He has no memory of the event.

Chris Fetters, age 13, killed his favorite aunt while taking Prozac.

Christopher Pittman, age 12, murdered both his grandparents while taking Zoloft.

Mathew Miller, age 13, hung himself in his bedroom closet after taking Zoloft for 6 days.

Kip Kinkel, age 15, (on Prozac and Ritalin) shot his parents while they slept then went to school and opened fire killing 2 classmates and injuring 22 shortly after beginning Prozac treatment.

Luke Woodham, age 16 (Prozac) killed his mother and then killed two students, wounding six others.

A boy in Pocatello, ID (Zoloft) in 1998 had a Zoloft-induced seizure that caused an armed stand off at his school.

Michael Carneal (Ritalin), age 14, opened fire on students at a high school prayer meeting in West Paducah, Kentucky. Three teenagers were killed, five others were wounded..

A young man in Huntsville, Alabama (Ritalin) went psychotic chopping up his parents with an ax and also killing one sibling and almost murdering another.

Andrew Golden, age 11, (Ritalin) and Mitchell Johnson, aged 14, (Ritalin) shot 15 people, killing four students, one teacher, and wounding 10 others.

TJ Solomon, age 15, (Ritalin) high school student in Conyers, Georgia opened fire on and wounded six of his class mates.

Rod Mathews, age 14, (Ritalin) beat a classmate to death with a bat.

James Wilson, age 19, (various psychiatric drugs) from Breenwood, South Carolina, took a .22 caliber revolver into an elementary school killing two young girls, and wounding seven other children and two teachers.

Elizabeth Bush, age 13, (Paxil) was responsible for a school shooting in Pennsylvania

Jason Hoffman (Effexor and Celexa) – school shooting in El Cajon, California

Jarred Viktor, age 15, (Paxil), after five days on Paxil he stabbed his grandmother 61 times.

Chris Shanahan, age 15 (Paxil) in Rigby, ID who out of the blue killed a woman.

Jeff Franklin (Prozac and Ritalin), Huntsville, AL, killed his parents as they came home from work using a sledge hammer, hatchet, butcher knife and mechanic's file, then attacked his younger brothers and sister.

Neal Furrow (Prozac) in LA Jewish school shooting reported to have been court-ordered to be on Prozac along with several other medications.

Kevin Rider, age 14, was withdrawing from Prozac when he died from a gunshot wound to his head. Initially it was ruled a suicide, but two years later, the investigation into his death was opened as a possible homicide. The prime suspect, also age 14, had been taking Zoloft and other SSRI antidepressants.

Alex Kim, age 13, hung himself shortly after his Lexapro prescription had been doubled.

Diane Routhier was prescribed Welbutrin for gallstone problems. Six days later, after suffering many adverse effects of the drug, she shot herself.

Billy Willkomm, an accomplished wrestler and a University of Florida student, was prescribed Prozac at the age of 17. His family found him dead of suicide – hanging from a tall ladder at the family's Gulf Shore Boulevard home in July 2002.

Kara Jaye Anne Fuller-Otter, age 12, was on Paxil when she hung herself from a hook in her closet. Kara's parents said ".... the damn doctor wouldn't take her off it and I asked him to when we went in on the second visit. I told him I thought she was having some sort of reaction to Paxil...")

Gareth Christian, Vancouver, age 18, was on Paxil when he committed suicide in 2002,
(Gareth's father could not accept his son's death and killed himself.)

Julie Woodward, age 17, was on Zoloft when she hung herself in her family's detached garage.

Matthew Miller was 13 when he saw a psychiatrist because he was having difficulty at school. The psychiatrist gave him samples of Zoloft. Seven days later his mother found him dead, hanging by a belt from a laundry hook in his closet.

Kurt Danysh, age 18, and on Prozac, killed his father with a shotgun. He is now behind prison bars, and writes letters, trying to warn the world that SSRI drugs can kill.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Woody ____, age 37, committed suicide while in his 5th week of taking Zoloft. Shortly before his death his physician suggested doubling the dose of the drug. He had seen his physician only for insomnia. He had never been depressed, nor did he have any history of any mental illness symptoms.

A boy from Houston, age 10, shot and killed his father after his Prozac dosage was increased.

Hammad Memon, age 15, shot and killed a fellow middle school student. He had been diagnosed with ADHD and depression and was taking Zoloft and "other drugs for the conditions."

Matti Saari, a 22-year-old culinary student, shot and killed 9 students and a teacher, and wounded another student, before killing himself. Saari was taking an SSRI and a benzodiazapine.

Steven Kazmierczak, age 27, shot and killed five people and wounded 21 others before killing himself in a Northern Illinois University auditorium. According to his girlfriend, he had recently been taking Prozac, Xanax and Ambien. Toxicology results showed that he still had trace amounts of Xanax in his system.

Finnish gunman Pekka-Eric Auvinen, age 18, had been taking antidepressants before he killed eight people and wounded a dozen more at Jokela High School – then he committed suicide.
Asa Coon from Cleveland, age 14, shot and wounded four before taking his own life. Court records show Coon was on Trazodone.

Jon Romano, age 16, on medication for depression, fired a shotgun at a teacher in his
New York high school.

Missing from list... 3 of 4 known to have taken these same meds....

What drugs was Jared Lee Loughner on, age 21...... killed 6 people and injuring 14 others in Tuscon, Az

What drugs was James Eagan Holmes on, age 24..... killed 12 people and injuring 59 others in Aurora Colorado

What drugs was Jacob Tyler Roberts on, age 22, killed 2 injured 1, Clackamas Or

What drugs was Adam Peter Lanza on, age 20, Killed 26 and wounded 2 in Newtown Ct
Roberts is the only one that I haven't heard about being on drugs of some kind.

(Sorry for the lengthy post but it is a good read)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think there is another directly linked factor that came out as part of this new confirmation. The psychiatrist HAD, as it happens, rung the alarm bells and yelled for help ....to the rather limited extent the law allows her to do in her position. As I've read this, she realized the drugs were either working poorly or couldn't counter what they were attempting to control and saw the homicidal potential in him before warning outsiders to a real threat as she professionally saw it.

I'll simply leave it with saying, this contradicts previous impressions left by reporting and information trickled out...in deference to topic drift.

So we not only need to wonder about the impact of the drugs themselves on very dangerous behavior and whether it would have happened without them ....but just how badly the system may have failed overall (Not even specific to JUST this instance, I fear) for ringing the fire alarm when those who know best DO see a Volcano forming with lava near the surface in a man. What a mess it starts to become.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I don't want this thread to turn into a conspiracy discussing regarding the actions and events of that day. This thread is to discuss the potent effects and clear consequences of feeding drugs to our children by age 5.

About the only useful thing I can credit my Mother with was forbidding doctors, school authorities, etc to pumping me full of drugs when I was a kid. Beyond that she entirely failed me as a Mother, but for that, I'll be eternally grateful.

Drugs (Legal ones) is a big no-no to discuss in our current society. The drug producers (Big Pharma) and the drug pushers (Doctors, et al) have far too much to lose and they spend far too much money (Deep pockets) on politicians so the issue will never be discussed rationally.

Did his medications have an effect on his life? Most certainly.

However, I will say that no matter what the individual is responsible.

Some people get drunk and start fights, murder people by accident. Some get behind the wheel of a car. At the end of the day these people are responsible.

When you get into pharmaceuticals however, it can be tricky, given that there are drugs out there that can completely change how the brain and body operates.

Should drugs be to blame? No. Should the doctors and pharma companies that sell (push/force) these things to people be held accountable in some way? Most certainly.

Personally, I think a real warning label needs to be developed.

Not one that warns of "restless leg syndrome", "Suicidal tendencies", "Rotting flesh syndrome" (Please discontinue use if any of the listed side effects become noticeable...

No, the hundred lines of size 2 font text is not an adequate warning. Nor is the hyper fast speech at the end of a drug commercial.

The real warnings we need is actual education on pharmaceuticals. As well as their counterparts (Which I will not get into because of t&c,

but lets look back at this like it is the 20's.

Alcohol is made illegal overnight (alcohol being a drug). One day its ok, one day its not. It's so entirely arbitrary...It's not that alcohol is inherently bad. It's a god damned fermentation of a plant. And every drug in some which way comes from a plant. You cant get mad at a plant. It makes no sense.

So, what we need is real education. Instead of propaganda which is so irrationally stupid, and condescending to anyone with anything more than a grade 12 science education....

Just speak about them all... ALL OF THEM. Treat them all the same. And let people understand that just because something is prescribed, does not make it safe....

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It's also no suprise that James Holmes was diagnosed with DSM IV or V disorders that included SSRI-type medications in treatment plans.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Our entire system for dealing with people who have mental illness is insane.

Here in New Brunswick, the local housing authority throws all the homeless and 'undesirables' out onto the streets during the summer, and give them lodging only during winter months.

Police routinely arrest and assault citizens who are having mental breakdowns, while taking no consideration of their mental state during arrest, booking or prosecution.

So yes, the system is failing, miserably.

I think first we need to address this whole drugging out of kids though. I don't think it in itself is the only reason that these people committed those crimes, but taking psychoactive drugs while your brain is still developing cannot have a positive effect.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Throughout my entire life (especially my teen years) I have been fighting a battle with depression, no medication works to treat that sort of thing. even when you see the adds for this garbage on television the side effects are staggering sometimes I think that even if the meds did work like they are supposed too the side effects would be so overwhelming the would, in their own right, depress you again!

The most outrageous side effect comes from the anti-depressant file in my opinion, what I mean is what is the point in taking a pill that is supposed to keep you from wanting to kill yourself when one of the god forsaken side effects is *bingo!*

Killing yourself

And the sick thing?

People eat this trash like it's candy.

I, however have found a natural cure for my depression, sure I still have to take daily doses but never once has it (as the others DID) made me want to take my own life.
[edited]

Mark my words folks, the more the use of these poison capsules the more people are going to commit tradgedies on the scale of not only taking their own lives or those of the ones they love but also of completely innocent strangers, even children, mark my words.
edit on 7-4-2013 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I took myself off it, realizing that was not how I wanted to feel.

I'm just highlighting that sentence for a reason.

I don't want to attempt to debate risks/benefits of medications.

People "take themselves off" these medications frequently for different reasons.

The event in Colorado was horrible but there is absolutely no evidence that medications are a cause. There is no evidence that he was actually taking the medications unless there are some blood tests out there showing that he did have levels of the meds in his system.

Having meds prescribed and taking them as directed is not the same as having them in a medicine cabinet.

I can't tell you how often I've taken histories from people who try to pretend that they are good patients and take their prescribed medications when I'm looking at the lab work that proves otherwise.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Correlation does not imply causation. It's easy to look at all of these mass murderers and say that their behavior was caused by the drugs they were prescribed since they had it in common. What else did they have uncommon though? The fact that they were all seeing psychiatrists and prescribed drugs means that they weren't emotionally stable to begin with.

We have no problem accepting that people like Stalin and Hitler were able to kill millions even though they weren't on antidepressants. So why do we find it so hard to believe that there are others out there who would seek the deaths of many? Why can't we accept that man is capable of causing such tragedies as these all on their own? Why must we always attempt to find some scapegoat that takes the blame off the shooter?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

The fact that they were all seeing psychiatrists and prescribed drugs means that they weren't emotionally stable to begin with.

I know a lot of kids that are on drugs that don't need to be. Over diagnosis and over prescription of drugs is common place. So although I agree it's not the actual single cause, it certainly is a major factor it seems.

We have no problem accepting that people like Stalin and Hitler were able to kill millions even though they weren't on antidepressants.

That science was far from the mind in that time period. We can safely say that both men had some serious psychological issues that's for sure. Perhaps some treatment using medication would have helped, but I'm not one to trust that sort of thing.

Why can't we accept that man is capable of causing such tragedies as these all on their own? Why must we always attempt to find some scapegoat that takes the blame off the shooter?

I can, 100% agree that there are men who simply want to watch the world burn. Be it in a building, or killing innocent children and bystanders. There are just plain sociopaths out there.

In this case though, knowing this kid was intelligent, accomplished and studying neuroscience, along with a variety of other information leads me to believe this wasn't just a case of the above, but something complex that had many root causes.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

In this case though, knowing this kid was intelligent, accomplished and studying neuroscience, along with a variety of other information leads me to believe this wasn't just a case of the above, but something complex that had many root causes.

Since when does being intelligent prevent someone from killing a fellow human? Ted Kaczynski was accepted in to Harvard at the age of 16 and was a professor by the time he was 25. That didn't stop him from sending out mail bombs that killed three and injured 23. He did this without ever having been on any kind of psychotropic medication.

We have a long history of man committing atrocities against his fellow man. No Prozac or Zoloft needed. So why are we now blaming every tragedy that occurs on medication? These were disturbed people who were seeking treatment and unfortunately that treatment wasn't enough.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I wasn't. You are taking what I said out of context.

Here's a line from my OP:

It comes as no surprise to many of us that pharmaceutical drugs played their part in warping the mind of this young man.

Played a part, is the key word. Study after study have shown the deleterious effects of these drugs on young minds. I'm not blaming them specifically for all the atrocities, but I would think with the recent rise in shootings that are perpetrated by school kids would warrant a proper look.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Before we throw the baby out with the bath water, these drugs have also helped many.. My teenage son being one of them. You can demonize psychotropic drugs is you like but for that matter demonize All drugs! For example:

Tylenol (Acetaminophen) high risk to liver function
Advil (ibuprofen) risk to stomach problems
Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) can lead to blindness

I truly believe Holmes suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and the University doctor was in way over her head..She had a responsibility to make sure he had follow up care if she did not feel safe treating him or felt he was beyond her
scope of knowledge. She did not, she just dumped him!

These problems existed long before he began taking zoloft and klonopine. His behavior involved more than depression and anxiety....there were psychotic features present that had not been addressed.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

"Correlation does not imply causation. It's easy to look at all of these mass murderers and say that their behavior was caused by the drugs they were prescribed since they had it in common. What else did they have uncommon though? The fact that they were all seeing psychiatrists and prescribed drugs means that they weren't emotionally stable to begin with." quote

Everyone has 'emotional instability'...

Refer to an official looking tome and you could be well on your way to ingesting some of the least researched drugs around, for 'syndromes & disorders' that are categorised with 'treatment programs - (pharmaceuticals) because the 'professionals' determining it and prescribing these drugs have absolutely no idea what they are saying, save for an official looking book and reams of unproven, badly put together, and fabricated theories about human 'psychology'...

...fallback position...they were 'emotionally unstable' to begin with...responsibility duly avoided!

A99

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

There's no doubt Mr. Holmes suffered from serious mental health issues, issues that may or may not have been helped or hurt with SSRI-type medications. Regardless of the greed of Big Pharma (of that there is no doubt), there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that these medications contributed to Mr. Holmes' actions. Frankly, we do not know enough about these medications or the human brain or certain diagnosis to say anything with 100% accuracy.
edit on 6-4-2013 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by paxnatus

There's no doubt Mr. Holmes suffered from serious mental health issues, issues that may or may not have been helped or hurt with SSRI-type medications. Regardless of the greed of Big Pharma (of that there is no doubt), there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that these medications contributed to Mr. Holmes' actions. Frankly, we do not know enough about these medications or the human brain or certain diagnosis to say anything with 100% accuracy.
edit on 6-4-2013 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

...and vice versa!

A99

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

I believe that was the point of my post, not to take a stand in support of or stand against

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I got a silly question? Has anyone EVER seen this "James Holmes" character? Do you know, for certain, that he's in custody, locked up? How do you know, for sure, that this isn't some kind of "stage show"? It's hard to believe anything these days. #jus sayin

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join