It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.2 Billion Russian arms sale to Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
thenewamerican.com...

In a recent interview with the Voice of Russia radio, Iraqi Minister of Foreign Affairs Hoshyar Zebari confirmed that Iraq would receive its first supply of arms shipments from Russia before the beginning of the summer, at the latest

As part of the deal, Russia will supply Iraq with 50 Pantsir-S1 gun-missile short-range air defense systems and 30 advanced Mi-28NE attack helicopters.

The Mi-28NE
The Mi-28NE round-the-clock operation combat helicopter is the export version of a new Russian attack helicopter Mi-28N. The Mi-28NE is a two-seat helicopter (pilot and navigator/gunner) of classic single-rotor configuration with five-blade main rotor, "scissors" type tail rotor, all-movable stabilizer and tail-wheel non-retractable landing gear. Armament complex and optional fuel tanks are fitted on the sling under the wing. The Mi-28NE helicopter is intended for search and destruction of tanks, armoured vehicles, low-speed air targets and enemy troops.

The helicopter is equipped with the following types of armament for accomplishing the above mentioned missions: Non-removable NPPU-28N 30 mm turret-mounted gun (with basic load of 250 projectiles); Two universal UPK-23-250 gun pods with GSh-23L 23 mm gun and basic load of 250 projectiles per each pod; 9-A2313 Ataka-B antitank missile control system with 9M120, 9M120F, 9A-2200 guided missiles (for total of 16 missiles); 'Igla' guided missiles with infrared homing heads (for total of 8 missiles); · 80 mm S-8 unguided rockets in B8V20-A pods (up to 4 pods); 122 mm S-13 unguided rockets in B13L1 pods (up to 4 pods); KMGU-2 unified small-size cargo containers (up to 4 units).The helicopter is fitted with onboard avionics providing the armament application and accomplishment of pilotage and navigation missions in the daytime and at night in ordinary and adverse weather conditions at extreme low altitudes with computer-aided terrain following flight.

This is not a Micky Mouse helicopter !

OK China gets the oil and Russia gets the arms trade....ummm what did we get other than the pain and suffering of our troops?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

What is "Iraq"?

By that I mean who really runs the country?

There were some parliamentary members who called for the expulsion of all US troops (including the mega bases) and they were quickly silenced or replaced...

Seems like a pay off to me.

Iraq goes into more debt to buy Russian weapons. Back door method for the US to try and bribe Russia to stay out of the ME.

edit on 6-4-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

OK China gets the oil and Russia gets the arms trade....ummm what did we get other than the pain and suffering of our troops?

The trillion$+ bill that's helping to bankrupt the country.
Well most of the country, the owners that sent those troops made out like bandits.

K~

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Iraq is buying their main combat systems from the US. They're buying F-16s (pilots in training now), C-130s (already in country), M-1 Abrams (some in country now) all from us. It makes sense for them to have at least some Russian systems though, as their primary weapons supplier for years was Russia, so they're already familiar with their systems.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
If US companies had received the oil and weapon contract for Iraq, people would be screaming "see I told you that's why the USA invaded".

Now that China and Russia received the contracts people are complaining why aren't the US getting the contracts. We went there for nothing.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I thought we (all the allied forces ) went to free the Iraqi people from a dictator who used chemical weapons on his own people? isn't that enough?
edit on 6-4-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Russia is by NO means helping or being anything FOR the United States in Iraq. They'd be quite happy to see us thrown out of Iraq, I'm thinking, by the scruff of our necks and on our faces.

It's far more than simply nationalism or some sense of old grudges for Putin as a life long KGB man. (Although I am sure that appeals to his sense of irony in a way Obama can never fathom)

In the Middle of last year, Iran, Iraq and Syria signed final agreements on the route and construction specifics of a natural gas pipeline. This pipeline will run from the fields outside Tehran from access out of the Caspian energy reserves, across Northern Iraq and then out across Syria. It's line is planned to terminate in Lebanon.

The majority is intended to be delivered to the 3 host nations to the pipeline with a small amount put out to the open market through Mediterranean access. At least the public phase one is stated that way.

Now another Pipeline usually isn't something to care much about beyond who is getting screwed for it this time. In THIS case?? It's a first. It's the first Pipeline constructed to bring anything from Caspian Sea access out to the Med directly in that way and out to the back end of the European Markets. (Without any Turkish involvement on any level, especially) Almost IN the European markets compared to other places currently available.

Russia has to treat it as a matter of national strategic priority, in my opinion, because the U.S. seems to be seeking Western control and influence over 3 of those 4 nations which would give Western control for direct gas output to the Euro markets from the Caspian. (Russia's personal puddle, by their thinking).

The last piece to the puzzle is the fact Russia controls enough of the Natural Gas flow into Europe through the Eastern Euro nations now for it to BE a strategic resource in not only much needed currency, but direct influence and leverage which they have used repeatedly on political matters over the years.

I may actually do a whole thread myself on this some day but for now I thought I'd toss this in because it puts a radically new perspective on the whole scene we watch where Russia is concerned. It's a matter of critical national importance to their future place in the overall region ...and the media seems to blow it off like it's entirely secondary, if they even dig deep enough anymore to notice the factor is present.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Humm all of you may be right with your individual slice of the pie: I also read someplace that Russia is bargaining for a base in Afghanistan. If it becomes a big deal I can try to find the article again..... I would have thought Russia would not be allowed back in. If they do get back in maybe some of the IEDs will go their way instead of our way? Maybe I am mistaken on what I read; found it!? The gas Pipeline has been a big deal for a long time so I have to agree with Rabbit on that one...I would hazard a bet that Security for the line will be a nightmare

thenewamerican.com...

In a story reported by Russia Today on March 28, Sergey Koshelev, identified as head of the Russian Defense Ministry’s department of international cooperation, said that his ministry will soon begin discussions with NATO representatives to seek an arrangement allowing Russia to establish new bases in Afghanistan to repair military hardware.

Bases for repair of Russian equipment..O.K.
edit on 6-4-2013 by 727Sky because: hummm

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
As a follow up, they bought an initial 18 F-16IQ Block 52 aircraft, radars, and support equipment for $4.2B.

18 F-16IQ aircraft;
24 F100-PW-229 or F110-GE-129 Increased Performance Engines;
24 APG-68v9 radar sets, the most modern radar available in Block 50 aircraft;
20 pairs of Conformal Fuel Tanks, which mount along the back/top of the F-16;
20 AN/APX-113 Advanced Identification Friend or Foe (AIFF) Systems (without Mode IV)
22 Advanced Countermeasures Electronic Systems (ACES), including the ALQ-187 Electronic Warfare System and AN/ALR-93 Radar Warning Receiver;
22 AN/ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispensing Systems (CMDS);
20 Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Embedded GPS/Inertial Navigation Systems (INS), (using Standard Positioning Service (SPS) commercial code only)

19 M61 20mm Vulcan multi-barrel cannons, which are mounted internally;
36 LAU-129/A Common Rail Launchers, which fit the F-16′s wingtips. They can be used with all AIM-9 missiles including the AIM-9X, and with the AIM-120 AMRAAM;
200 AIM-9L/M-8/9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles. These missiles are effective, and the AIM-9M missiles are still in widespread American use, but they’re a generation behind the current AIM-9X;
150 AIM-7M-F1/H Sparrow Missiles. A couple of generations behind current beyond visual range air-to-air missiles. They lack the current AM-120 AMRAAM’s independent radar guidance and other improvements;
50 AGM-65D/G/H/K Maverick Air to Ground Missiles;
200 GBU-12 Paveway-II laser guided 500 lb. bombs;
50 GBU-10 Paveway-II laser guided 2,000 lb. bombs;
50 GBU-24 Paveway-III laser guided 2,000 lb. bombs with longer glide range and a “bunker busting” warhead;
20 AN/AAQ-33 Sniper or AN/AAQ-28 LITENING advanced surveillance and targeting pods. Almost certain to be Lockheed Martin’s Sniper, given LITENING’s Israeli origins;
4 F-9120 Advanced Airborne Reconnaissance Systems (AARS) or DB-110 Reconnaissance Pods (RECCE)

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

This was later upped to a 36 plane deal, for an additional $2.3B, and includes simulators, SNIPER pods, and more.

They also issued a not to exceed $292.8M contract for four C-130J-30 aircraft, of which three have been delivered. They have been flying refurbished C-130E aircraft to date. They have the option to buy an additional 2 aircraft at any point in the future as well.

Hawker Beechcraft received an $86.6M contract to deliver 8 T-6 Texan II aircraft to Iraq, with a separate $22.7M contract for support. This was on top of the $170M contract for the initial 7 aircraft, with a total of 36 being planned.

This doesn't count the King Air and other aircraft bought by Iraq from the US. So the US has been a huge supplier of equipment to the Iraqi government/military.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I had no idea and thanks for the info. Makes me feel better!!

edit on 6-4-2013 by 727Sky because: edit

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

It doesn't bleed, and it didn't blow up, so the media barely mentions it in passing as the last story on the 11 o'clock news, so I'm not surprised.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
It's good that Iraq is getting armed, no?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingFox
It's good that Iraq is getting armed, no?

isnt it great,
Russian and American arms and they are very friendly with Iran aswell
considering both countries are the only large shia muslim countries in the middle east

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

something far more valuable to our generals a chance to test out new toys and get real world combat practice in urban warfare as well as giving the air force in the early days of the conflict a chance to show off shock and awe and to give our fighter/bomber/helicopter pilots trigger time against armored vehicles and insurgents... but as far as any actual economic gain i don't think we got too much in the way in that

top topics

join